Please suggest how to deal with my low broadband speed (getting just about 40 kBps at all times)

• Thread starter Thread starter Faust
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 2,699

Faust

ISP
BSNL Broadband
Hi, I was among the first users of BSNL BBnd (in Himachal Pradesh),I was using 500c+, the time they had 256kbps connections; when they subsequently started offering speeds upto 2mbps, I used to get download speeds upto 195 kBps from sites like say download.com, and speeds upto 140 kBps from link-removed/link-removed.Then After shifting to Panchkula (chandigarh) recently, I applied for a fresh bbnd BSNL connection and opted for the same 500c+ plan.Past few weeks, ever since i got the connection, I am getting Dowload speeds like 33 to 45 kBps from link-removed and 39 to 48 kBps from, downoad.com etc sitesduring the day, and little upto 52-54 kBps during night unlimited hours.(I use the basic Smartax880 modem. I hope that is in no way a problem)😱I am on NIB II: Ip is always 117.x.x.xComparing my dwnld speeds with the 220 kBps etc that most users on the forum report for home 500, 500-c plans; AND also considering that I intend to download much more than the 2.5GB monthly limit;kindly reccomend how I should go about getting the best from BSNL BBndTechnically, BSNL cannot be taken to task, as the speeds are upward of the assured 256kbps at all times.WHat plans would be suitable for my usage (good speed, max download, and not very expensive ; i can go upto Rs 2000 a month)(ALSO Can anyone using BSNL Bbnd in Panchkula (which comes under BSNL Punjab) tell me what speeds they are getting)How is the UL1350 unltd plan? how are the dwnld speeds/connectivity etc?

Change DNS to 208.67.220 and 208.67.222.222
Home 500C+ speed upto 2 Mbps or 256KB/sec max ( *conditions apply)

For assured speed see the tariff plans
Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd.

User Faust

[*] In your ADSL modem, configure your ADSL like this:

http://img165.imageshack.us/my.php?image=03sl1.png

Save and reboot the modem.

[*] Afterwards, run the speedtest on BSNL server. What speeds are you getting? Post a screenshot for us.

[*] If speeds are still lower than expectations, try to configure connection in PPPoE mode or Bridge mode. Save and Reboot modem, try the speedtest.

[*] Check the SNR and Attenuation figures. COmpare to someone else who has dataone in same vicinity and from same exchange. If they are not optimal get the line shifted from exchange.

[*] Are you getting low speeds because of wireless connection? Make sure you connect to ADSL modem via ethernet when running all tests.
[/list]

User Faust

[*] In your ADSL modem, configure your ADSL like this:

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/3355/03sl1.th.png

Save and reboot the modem.
[/list]Would it make any difference given I am using the ethernet port to connect?

[*] Afterwards, run the speedtest on BSNL server. What speeds are you getting? Post a screenshot for us.
[/list]BSNL speed test on Dataone shows my connection speed (on different occasions over 3 weeks ) : 1.26 mbps, 1.51 mbps

[*] If speeds are still lower than expectations, try to configure connection in PPPoE mode or Bridge mode. Save and Reboot modem, try the speedtest.
[/list]Could you please guide me how to do this manually. Much appreciated thanks.

[*] Check the SNR and Attenuation figures. COmpare to someone else who has dataone in same vicinity and from same exchange. If they are not optimal get the line shifted from exchange.
[/list]How do I check SNR and Attenuation figures , as i donot have modem interface insytalled on my computer and I dont have the installation CD too.

Also Unfortunately there are not many in my neighbourhood using BSNL BBnd connection (mostly use Airtel);

[*] Are you getting low speeds because of wireless connection? Make sure you connect to ADSL modem via ethernet when running all tests.
[/list]

Thanks

User Faust

In no particular order:

You do not need a special program to interact with your ADSL modem. Usually you type 192.168.1.1 in your browser's address bar. That will display the ADSL configuration and settings.

Did BSNL not provide you with any CD with modem? Or you must have got the CD when you purchased modem yourself. Anyway, the CD contains the user manual, that would come in handy right now.

Since you do not have that, use google to locate the user manual of your modem. Usually manual is available from the manufacturer's website in "Support" or "Documentation" sections. Go and search.

Yes, how you configure your ADSL can affect speeds. G.dmt gives best speed to me, ADSL2+ gives a bit less, and G.lite, Multimode etc either do not work or give very little speed. This setting governs the connection with telephone exchange equipment, so you need to set it correctly whether you are using ethernet or wireless.

The SNR and Attenuation figures will also be visible in modem's system information. Same 192.168.1.1 address.

You can try to toggle between Bridge mode (dialer) type of connection and PPPoE (always on) type. Again by logging in your modem. The manual or online google search will reveal how. In my case:

http://img395.imageshack.us/my.php?image=huaweimt841xy7.png

You can also change DNS setting in same way, as others have suggested although DNS will not affect throughput with p2p and downloads.

And you are using splitter before connecting the telephone cable to modem, right? This can have big effects.

http://img142.imageshack.us/my.php?image=brbinql1.png

If everything is configured correctly, it is possible that you are far from the exchange and thus not getting optimals speeds. Not much can be done about that I'm afraid. I get 1600 kilobits/seconds in speedtest myself, and real world downloads are slower than that.

Such is life. Perhaps if I move closer to BSNL exchange Preeti Zinta will marry me 😗

User Faust

In no particular order:

You do not need a special program to interact with your ADSL modem. Usually you type 192.168.1.1 in your browser's address bar. That will display the ADSL configuration and settings.

Did BSNL not provide you with any CD with modem? Or you must have got the CD when you purchased modem yourself. Anyway, the CD contains the user manual, that would come in handy right now.

Since you do not have that, use google to locate the user manual of your modem. Usually manual is available from the manufacturer's website in \"Support\" or \"Documentation\" sections. Go and search.

Yes, how you configure your ADSL can affect speeds. G.dmt gives best speed to me, ADSL2+ gives a bit less, and G.lite, Multimode etc either do not work or give very little speed. This setting governs the connection with telephone exchange equipment, so you need to set it correctly whether you are using ethernet or wireless.

The SNR and Attenuation figures will also be visible in modem's system information. Same 192.168.1.1 address.

You can try to toggle between Bridge mode (dialer) type of connection and PPPoE (always on) type. Again by logging in your modem. The manual or online google search will reveal how. In my case:

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/4416/huaweimt841xy7.th.png

You can also change DNS setting in same way, as others have suggested although DNS will not affect throughput with p2p and downloads.

And you are using splitter before connecting the telephone cable to modem, right? This can have big effects.

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/3443/brbinql1.th.png

If everything is configured correctly, it is possible that you are far from the exchange and thus not getting optimals speeds. Not much can be done about that I'm afraid. I get 1600 kilobits/seconds in speedtest myself, and real world downloads are slower than that.

Such is life. Perhaps if I move closer to BSNL exchange Preeti Zinta will marry me 😗

--------

thanks i checked for all the points you had suggested.
This is my ADSL modem summary;

Model Name MT882 Firmware Version V200R001C01B021SP03
Jun 20 2005 ADSL Line Status ADSL State Show Time
Data Path Interleave
DSP Version D.57.2.17 Operation Mode G.DMT
Output Power 12.1 dB
Upstream DownStream ADSL Link Speed 864 Kbps
ADSL Link Speed 2048 Kbps
Previous Tx-Rate 0 Kbps
Previous Rx-Rate 0 Kbps
SNR 11 dB
SNR 33.0 dB
CRC 0
CRC 0
Attenuation 16.0 dB
Attenuation 26.0 dB
FEC 0
FEC 0
HEC(ATM Layer) 0
HEC(ATM Layer) 0

I changed the modulation to g.dmt; and created a Bridged connection using my realtek LAN card; and then connected to BSNL.

well as per speednet from 2 tests i did 2 and half hours apart; my downstream speed is shown as 745kbps and 615 kbps; upstream 140 kbps and 180 kbps. (wateen telecom server and Mumbai server)

Dataone shows my connection speed to be 1.7 Mbps
D U Meter shows 185-195 kBps while I am downloading 2 files, 1 each from link-removed and mediafire; where I am getting:
Mediafire: 55-56 kBps;
link-removed: 35-36kBps
now together this adds to about 90kBps....

which confuses me further:
My connection speed is shown as 2048 kbps downstream by ADSL modem summery
Dataone speedtest shows speed as: 1.7 mBps
Speedet test shows speed as say avg. 700 kbps
DU meter (when in full download mode) shows speed as 1.6 mBps.

Which of these is a true indicator of my download speed.
COULD IT BE THAT some setting is throttling the max available bandwidth per tcp/ip connection.

I have even edited group policy (i run xp pro sp2) to change default value of available bandwidth to 100%.

and BTW i downloaded the ADSL driver from calcuttatelephones.com and I got 185-190 kBps download speed for a 7.5 MB download.

from the questions u had asked: Yes I am using the ADSL splitter.

--------
Dataone shows my connection speed to be 1.7 Mbps
D U Meter shows 185-195 kBps while I am downloading

Oooof, don't type that much data boss. Too much time wasted in typing and formatting. You can take a screenshot in windows for SNR figures etc and host image at imageshack.

Your SNR and Attenuation figures are relatively poor, but that could be due to distance from exchange.

And when you say "Dataone shows my connection speed to be 1.7 Mbps" if it means the speedtest on dataone.in website, then be happy. Many users -including myself- get similar speeds because they are at some distance from exchange.

185-195 KiloBytes/seconds is also decent.

One last thing you might wanna try is to configure a connection in PPPoE mode. Save and Reboot the modem. Then run speedtest on dataone.in website. If you get higher speed stick with PPPoE else it is up to you which mode you prefer.

There is nothing holding back or throtteling speed in OS. Sometimes 1.7 Mbps is all you can get.

On Speedtest you speed is shown as "745kbps and 615 kbps" Downstream.
745 kbps = 93.125 kBps
615 kbps = 76.875 kBps

now together this adds to about 90kBps....

This means you are getting average speed of 768 kbps.
Poor for upto 2 mbps plan but considering the signal loss (Attenuation value) it seems proper.

One more thing
"D U Meter shows 185-195 kBps while I am downloading 2 files, 1 each from link-removed and mediafire; where I am getting:
now together this adds to about 90kBps...."

DU Meter is showing double of what you are actually getting.
Are you sure there aren't any Malware, spyware, adware running in the background and consuming the bandwidth.