• Thread starter Thread starter anoop_mig25
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 4,668

anoop_mig25

ISP
mtnl
Hi friends

First of all I am new here and if i am posting in in wrong section then please move this in proper section.Now let me come to my issue.Currently i have a wired internet access . I have mtnls (mumbai) adsl modem.Now i want it to change it to a wire-less one. My PC sits in cabinet where current modem is kept and new wifi modem would probably kept as telephone line is wired in such a way. Now issue is that I want to use wifi in a room which is 2 blocks away from current room.Also there are walls too in between this blocks.So can i use a wifi modem with high range ?? Would it be possible for me to use wifi service in 3rd block on laptop.If yes which company modem i can use Or not then suggest me an alternative solution.Also i have to use my new wifi modem with my old pc which can only have wired connection.

Regards
Anoop

how far is one block?

A (You) | B | C | D (Need wireless here)
One apartment/house?
A minimum of three concrete walls + other obstacles. 20 to 30 m away.

You can keep your existing modem. A powerful router *might* work but there's really no way of knowing unless you try it.

Buy one from Amazon. Return it if the range is not good enough.
People like TP-Link. Look around.

have still not thought on budget front.Main concern is about would laptop and or other device would be able to catch signals and work properly i mean to say access to internet.

Please suggest a range of wifi(with good power and range) modem would see them an then decided.

20 meters is indeed quite a distance. and you are saying that it could be 30 meters. you need to be ready to be prepared that you might need a repeater in the middle somewhere in case the router you buy does not work out well.

A (You) | B | C | D (Need wireless here)
One apartment/house?
A minimum of three concrete walls + other obstacles. 20 to 30 m away.

You can keep your existing modem. A powerful router *might* work but there's really no way of knowing unless you try it.

Buy one from Amazon. Return it if the range is not good enough.
People like TP-Link. Look around.

yes you are write ..suggest a modem ,,, how to configure router or and other device with that modem... or i have to get wireless router place it near door and then pray to god

20 meters is indeed quite a distance. and you are saying that it could be 30 meters. you need to be ready to be prepared that you might need a repeater in the middle somewhere in case the router you buy does not work out well.

what would be better router or repeater ????

whats difference between router n repeater ?????

Can only repeater be used ??????

has everything has to be wireless ?????

a repeater amplifies the signal from a wireless router and extends it over a larger area. so if the signal from a router that you buy does not reach the D room, you can fit a repeater at B/C to extend the coverage. Of course your neighbor would have to accommodate this hardware.

is it a comman electric connection. you might want to consider a powerline adaptor. remember you would require two of those one in room A and other in room D

search ebay / Amazon / FK/ SD for the word "powerline adaptor"

a repeater amplifies the signal from a wireless router and extends it over a larger area. so if the signal from a router that you buy does not reach the D room, you can fit a repeater at B/C to extend the coverage. Of course your neighbor would have to accommodate this hardware.

ok it seems that i have to include repeater .. but i have come to know that even if i include repeater there there wont be 100 % coverage ... plz suggest some brands wifi+repeater