• Thread starter Thread starter icycool25
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 32
  • Views Views 7,009

icycool25

Greatest P2P Downloader
ISP
BSNL Broadband 750 UL @ Rs.500 pm
Hi Guys,Hah...Well finally I got my computer formatted. I was facing a hell lot of problems with my PC--like most the applications didn't work properly, my internet was messed up, thanks to the unlimited virus,trojans,spyware,adware that attacked my computer. I tried all sorts of workarounds, including scans from multiple world-class anti-virus+anti spyware progs, but all failed. Finally I had to format my PC. That was the only cause for my long absence from this forum.Anyways..After the format I was on XP SP1, so I upgraded to SP2, now guys please suggest a good Anti-Virus which will get rid of most virus, trojans, worms etc. Also please recommend me a good Anti-Spyware that will take care of spyware,adware,malware, etc. Please suggest me some open-source softwares, rather a freeware that will work on a life-time basis. I could have gone for paid ones, but they come with the hassle of yearly renewals. So no more paid ones for me, simply suggest a good modern-day Anti-Virus + Anti-Spyware. My system is all new now after the format, so plz suggest some good softwares for the same. By the way guys, Just for your info, I was planning to go for AVG Free Edition 8.5 which includes Anti-Virus+Anti-Spyware protection. It gives access to regular updates + its free for life. So is it good to go for ? Along with it, I was thinking to go for Malwarebytes which claims to be a strong Anti-Malware. Any comments on that ? Plus, should I go for Windows Defender ? Is Win Def a worthy malware protection software ?I am sorry if there are too many questions. But I just need your feedback and comments. So please, shoot.**N.B** : A format does not take a long time, but taking a backup of data worth 40 GB does. So basically, the time consumption was due to a data backup from my PC before the format.

Microsoft Security Essentials

free and pretty good.

AVG is also pretty good. So is Avast. You can also play around with Panda Cloud Antivirus

it is actually pretty good. but requires an validated windows copy. it performs pretty good for a free application and no it's not regular microsoft branded trash. cloud antivirus is a good option if you are always connected to the net. i have used them both and i can safely recommend both. currently i am on AVG because i had installed it on this machine long time ago. and i find no need to replace it with any of these options. in the end, if you are not using internet explorer and are not downloading and running too many executive files from the web... and practice common sense... you are not likely to get infected anyways.

Well I got horribly infected in the past few weeks. I guess no one was ever infected like that. My computer acted totally wierd. Anyways, I doubt applications like Win Defender, etc would actually work since they are free. Anyways, I think I am gonna use Win Defender + Microsoft Sec Essentials + AVG Free Edition + Malwarebytes.Yes, I am using a valid and original XP, thats why I could upgrade to SP2. Anyways, I use P2P a lot and yes I am connected to the internet 24x7. So I think these 4 apps (Win Def + MS Sec Ess + Mal By + AVF Fr Ed) should be enough for me. What say ?

you are going to make a mistake if you are going to use multiple security apps together.

my suggestion would be to use one application at one time.

and use spyware apps regularly manually.

running multiple apps together is not going to make your computer SECURE. it would make it worse.

----------

another suggestion. do not work on your computer in admin mode. make a guest account and use it for surfing and downloading.

@icycool25: As you are looking for a free decent AV, I suggest you try out Avast! Home Edition which in my opinion is better than AVG Free Edition.

Also do install Windows XP Service Pack 3 if you get hold of it. It fixes certain security flaws.

@ bsd & Zeo,A big thanks to you guys for replying to my query.@bsd,Is NOD32 a life-time free Anti-Virus ? @Zeo,Well I wanted no less to upgrade to Win XP SP3, but according to the BSNL guys, the modem I am using wont work with Win XP 3. Though that seems totally bull-shit to me, but anyways, I cant risk upgrading to SP 3 for the same fear. Anyways, Is there a complete life-time free edition of Avast like the AVG Free Edition ? Will this version of Avast provide regular free updates like AVG does ? If yes, please provide me its download link...!@Admin,I am using only MS Sec Ess at present. I faced some problems with it, like it wasnt getting updated at all. It finally updated after several retries. Secondly, it shows that my computer is protected at present, but I dont know how much it actually is.

microsoft updates security essentials automatically. so you dont have to worry about that. as for being protected, you can never be fully protected. you have to stop being so cynical. if you are so much worried about getting infected and are ready to run multiple levels of security software, i would suggest migrating to linux.

@Zeo,

Well I wanted no less to upgrade to Win XP SP3, but according to the BSNL guys, the modem I am using wont work with Win XP 3. Though that seems totally bull-shit to me, but anyways, I cant risk upgrading to SP 3 for the same fear. Anyways, Is there a complete life-time free edition of Avast like the AVG Free Edition ? Will this version of Avast provide regular free updates like AVG does ? If yes, please provide me its download link...!

Avast! has both free edition and paid edition. The free edition (also called "Home Edition") is totally free to use and it automatically download updates whenever you are connected to the net.

Here's the link to download:
Download FREE antivirus software - avast! Home Edition

Here's a comparison between the Professional Edition and Home Edition of Avast!:
avast! antivirus - Versions comparison

@Admin,Well yes I am really being cynical coz I am very worried ever since the last attack on my PC 2 weeks back. In simple terms, it was not like as if my PC just had a fever or a cough-n-cold, but was like as if my PC had cancer....Yes, so badly infected my computer was. Anyways, at present only Microsift Sec Ess[updated] is installed. By the way, MS Sec Ess and Win Defender does not get installed together.:wall: You can have only 1 app at a time. Anyways, I am with MS Sec Ess at present since it has both an AV & AS.Thanks Piyush for replying. I will review Comodo as well.@Zeo,A big thanks to you for helping me out with the links. Avast Prof Ed looks promising but its a paid one, so I am not going for it. Now I have to choose between Avast Free Ed and AVG Free Ed. By the way, I think Avast does not have an inbuilt Anti-Spyware...Does it ? And does it hog the system ?

@icycool. I would advise you to go for Avira's Antivir, just because it has got much better detection rates as compared to other Av programs. You will get it here.
Download Free Antivirus Products

Note: If your system is currently infected by a virus, you can download "Avira's AntiVir Rescue System". Burn it on to a Cd and boot using it. The other advantage of this Rescue system is that "You can even update to the latest virus definitions and do a scan"

@Admin,

at present only Microsift Sec Ess[updated] is installed. By the way, MS Sec Ess and Win Defender does not get installed together.:wall: You can have only 1 app at a time. Anyways, I am with MS Sec Ess at present since it has both an AV & AS.

Thanks Piyush for replying. I will review Comodo as well.

?

MSE has features both of Windows defender, so u dont need to worry about it.

@ Others Please correct me if am wrong.