Please suggest a cheap secondary mobile connection

• Thread starter Thread starter pudu123
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 28
  • Views Views 3,998
See if you make a lot of calls, get the ₹129 Jio plan, since it gives unlimited calls plus 2Gb data.

If data is more of a priority, I’d suggest going for Airtel‘s ₹79 plan + ₹49 plan. The ₹79 plan gives you ₹63 talktime for making calls and the ₹49 adds 3Gb of data which is 2Gb more than the ₹129 plan of Airtel plus 4 extra days of validity.

Jio‘s is value for money overall ofcourse if you intend to make lots of voice calls. Otherwise if you take the Airtel combo ₹79 + ₹49 = ₹128, you get overall value on data use.

i was looking for plan mentioned by you where I can get free incoming for a year on just 1 month recharge. Can you specify that plan and how to get it?

i have no need for data or talktime. Just a sim that I can use in my old smart phone for incoming, for apps like signal, WhatsApp, true caller. Will be using WiFi for my data needs on this 2nd SIM.

How did you get 12 coupon at initial setup?
I did not get that part...

@igloo How reliable is the internet connectivity?
Coverage is the best. LTE only mode on samsung phones made battery drain to minimal. Speed has increased to double digit most of the time after recent spectrum addition. 10mhz@ band 3 and band 5.
I can even band lock to band of my choice on samsung mobile via band selection app. Band selection doesn't work on VI network.
I guess because jio uses samsung equipment at backend. I locked to band 5 all the time. So getting 10-15 mbps even during peak hours.

@pudu123 There's no plan that explicitly states you'll get 1 year validity except the ones priced >₹1200. Jio tends to keep a SIM active with incoming ongoing even if you don't recharge after the first month if the SIM has Prime enabled. So I was suggesting you to take the ₹129 plan which gives those benefits for a month and then you'll get incoming for a year. I said this thinking maybe you needed a small amount of data and calling capability earlier.

If you already have a Jio Sim, then just recharge it with Prime. Actually you mentioned you've had a SIM that's not been recharged for over a year. I'm wondering if incoming is still active on it or not? If not, you can try to activate prime on it and see if incoming starts again. No need to do anything else. If you don't have one, or if that old SIM has been deactivated, then get one with ₹149 (FRC) + ₹99 (prime).

Last edited:
I am using this plan from BSNL as I do not need data on the 2nd sim. Mainly use it for incoming(OTP etc...)
Yeah I have a secondary SIM on just this plan. It's an excellent long term plan. Gives validity for an entire year at such a low cost. No private operator has such a cheap plan with such a long validity.

@pudu123 There's no plan that explicitly states you'll get 1 year validity except the ones priced >₹1200. Jio tends to keep a SIM active with incoming ongoing even if you don't recharge after the first month if the SIM has Prime enabled. So I was suggesting you to take the ₹129 plan which gives those benefits for a month and then you'll get incoming for a year. I said this thinking maybe you needed a small amount of data and calling capability earlier.

If you already have a Jio Sim, then just recharge it with Prime. Actually you mentioned you've had a SIM that's not been recharged for over a year. I'm wondering if incoming is still active on it or not? If not, you can try to activate prime on it and see if incoming starts again. No need to do anything else. If you don't have one, or if that old SIM has been deactivated, then get one with ₹149 (FRC) + ₹99 (prime).
I inserted my old SIM on a phone and tried calling it. I get “phone switched off”.

the myjio app on my primary sim phone says the old sim number is still linked to my primary account and needs a recharge.

so, should I try to recharge with ₹99 for jio prime and see if that starts the incoming going again?

Yeah I have a secondary SIM on just this plan. It's an excellent long term plan. Gives validity for an entire year at such a low cost. No private operator has such a cheap plan with such a long validity.
Is this plan available in NCR area? I assume not since it’s bsnl?
if not, does mtnl have a similar plan and how can I get it?

One can get BSNL in NCR now?
I would jump to BSNL in a heartbeat.

I work from home. I really don’t care about data or talktime or 4G. I’ll be satisfied with 3G even honestly. As long as coverage Is decent at my home, I’m fine with it.

any idea how to get BSNL sim in NCR?

@pillaicha

I am using this plan from BSNL as I do not need data on the 2nd sim. Mainly use it for incoming(OTP etc...)
So, this plan says unlimited voice calls, 2gb/day internet. I am assuming this is for 60 days only and then it is free incoming for the rest of the 300 days validity?

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Yes, all the benefits - data/voice/sms valid for 60 days. Post that, you have incoming till the 300th day. good plan to keep phone active for OTPs etc.

So, this plan says unlimited voice calls, 2gb/day internet. I am assuming this is for 60 days only and then it is free incoming for the rest of the 300 days validity?
You are correct. After the initial 60 days, you can recharge with Rs 10/20/30 for the occasional calls/messages etc.

Another alternative to the Rs 397 plan are the Rs 106/107 plans. They provide : 3GB Data/100 minute calls to any network/84 days validity.

LxrEmOV.webp

I've been thinking about porting my Vodafone number to Jio. Primarily I am using Airtel.
Similar thoughts about Voda & Jio. Airtel is crappy connection in Bombay - from whatever I've see of several folks.
But in trying to compare both I figured I might keep both and have one spare.
Which to keep as primary and other as backup is something I havent figured out.