Please need info on Reliance Pro3 Kolkata circle!!

• Thread starter Thread starter R Jain
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 8,096
Status
Not open for further replies.
ISP
Airtel 3G, Relince Pro3 14.4mbps with WiFi AC3633 model
I had a great experience with reliance 4mbit no fup unlimited landline until company problems of theirs caused my connection to go wonk and and had to give it up after two tries. So I was on Airtel 3g for some time. They have very good speeds, I was getting double or almost double of reliance 4mbit, but for past two months they have a new drama. The connection works only in the night. I was using 849 plan from mypack, that gave me 7gb usage. Every day at 10am or 11am, the connection magically drops, not gets slow from traffic or anything, but completely drops every day for the past two months until 7-8pm. So I can't use in the morning at all... what kind of drama is this of theirs I don't know, and it is so planned out. Two months ago, for some days, I could reregister on their other network, one shows up as "AirTel" and other shows up as "AIRTEL" all caps, the all caps one would let me enjoy the connection again, but that network disappeared after a few days, and I can't use my net for two months. The Edge network, as oppposed to WCDMA setting, also doesn't work, may work a little bit in the morning, but that too has dropped for the past month.

So I have bought Reliance Pro3 dongle yesterday with WiFi model AC3633, it was cheap only 1000rs all inc., so I bought it thinking I'd at least get some use of it even on low end plans, still... I have a few questions..

The shopkeeper told me that SIM is inbuilt, no expiry, but also said, that when the 4g equivalent of cdma comes out, this dongle will automatically be able to use it without upgrade. This doesn't matter to me, but just want to know if this is true or bs, don't GSM sims require upgrade for 4g? I assumed it would be the same for cdma.

Also, he didn't have the plan pamphlet on hand... and he confirmed that there are 20gb plans for 799 and such with a reliance rep on phone that he knew personally that also sold the stuff to his shop. I dunno, I think the dongle would be useful even for low plans... but I can't find info that isn't confusing on the net for all the list of plans that are /current/ for the Kolkata circle... can anyone help or post what the current plans are? Is there any U/L with FUP or best Truly U/L with no FUP plans for this dongle? I can go up to 799-999 for a plan with at least 15-20gb, and up to 15-1600 for a True U/L plan. I figured I'm already wasting so much on crappy airtel (but gosh, their speeds were good when it worked), that I can spend this much. I wish I could just enjoy the 999 plus tax no fup landline plans of rel.. but I guess that's life. Please help. Thanks.

Thanks! I have the postpaid and told the fellow to register me for the 999 plan, I think it is no longer truly u/l for kolkata.. the reliance page says 12+12gb day/night and 1x after that with no overage charge. I guess overage means I won't be charged for any use after the cap is over. I have a question - do the shops usually sell the dongle with any free plan for a month or more? The salesman told me when selling that I would get some free data for a couple months but backtracked on that today and told me there wasn't anything free. I will never understand these sales tactics. I'm just curious to know how much he saved compared to other shops if they usually give anything free, that is. Is 1000 for just the dongle a good deal? Also, is the HAIER e28 dongle a better model than the zte 3633?

The problem with reliance wired was that my net suddenly went dead one day, the workers told us the fiber wire was stolen and they were waiting for the company to send in 100metre wire because they had to loop around the building(s). I didn't believe fibre optics wire could be stolen, I doubt they have street value, who would they sell it to anyway and I doubt the reliance people are such dolts that they leave their wires unmarked or something. But in our neighbourhood lots of wire were indeed cut out and hanging and stuff. Who knows why. Anyway, the new wire never came, everyone stopped picking up their phones, customer care put in the same bs about registering a complaint of which nothing happened and no one ever called at our place. Then for couple months, the customer care wouldn't pick up any calls, it would ring for hours, but dead, after many hours someone might pick up on a good day just to tell us their systems were down and they couldn't register anything.

So after many months of this traas, I finally had the bright idea to see if applying for a new connection might do the trick.. and the reps came instantly the next day, with forms in their hands, saying the previous connection had DP box problems and other bs and that connection wouldn't activate. We did this cause I just could not find a reliable ISP that was affordable and also had good service,and when reliance did work we had no complaints. The speed was often lower than advertised, but we could get all our work done, and download necessary stuff also. The new connection worked fine for one month, and went kaput, and they just left us hanging with the same bs that happened last time. After three months of calling to disconnect our connection, they said we would get a call from their department which manages this stuff. So we would get a call, which would ring once and before we can even get to the phone, the call goes kaput. We can't call back because it's a one-way line. We ask the customer care to send in the call again, and same thing happens for weeks. We tried to ask customer care heads to deactivate themselves, but they told us that is just not possible without their other department getting a confirmation. And there is no other way to do it. We just don't have the time to visit their offices because we are often busy with other problems. After a long time, they did disconnect. We had to call many times for a refund for the previous connection and this one, it came after six months after the previous one was d/ced and the refund for the newer connection is still pending, it had gone down last feb.

I personally think they had internal company problems.. The middle management probably f*** with some of the workers and they must have revolted and caused problems.. but anyway I don't know what actually happened...

Some patience there. Fwiw, reliance last mile cabling is lousy. You could've gone to PGPortal.

1000 bucks for just the WiFi dongle is a really good deal. Look at how much TATA charges for the same!

The store I bought the ZTE dongle from gave three months of unlimited data on prepaid, and then rcom revised their prepaid plans making them pretty much useless 😕

Anyway, you have MTS in Kolkata and Reliance uses their RevB (9.8mbps) network for Pro3, so you should be good.

Thanks. I'll keep PgPortal in mind next time. I never searched for such a thing because of other life issues and headaches. Some years ago, BSNL was a ten times bigger headache. How corrupt they were, I don't really want to think about it. Airtel had good consistent wired service during the 256-512 kbit days. They would come to our house, set up the wires and modems, and first thing these guys would do would be to open the Yahoo homepage with a big grin on their face to show us.. look how fast the page loads. Yeah, whatever.

There's a small grocery store in a gully near our house where all the people are from Orissa, living in very very small homes, they call it Uriya Para here. So the boys at the grocery store also do recharges and handle dongles and stuff. Friendly folks.. they let us borrow an MTS dongle which had some balance left to try it at home, but the network was not that good... I think I got around 300kbit on speedtest, even tested it on different servers, many web pages would load fine, there was a lot of delay though, but it was a no go if you wanted to watch a video for instance. But, darn, they have some pretty good plans... 40GB i think for 900 bucks.

I didn't get that last sentence of yours fully. You do mean that Reliance uses it's _own_ RevB network, right? The advertised max speed for pro3 is listed as 14.4mbps everywhere.

I also am hoping for a reply on one question, you have to upgrade your gsm sim to a 4g-compatible sim to use the 4g spectrum, right? Is that the same for cdma-based dongle that I bought, you have to upgrade the dongle to use the newer network that might come out? The salesman said I would need no dongle upgrade for the future network but I'm not sure if he was telling the right thing.

Was it an MTS RevB dongle? 300kbps is way too low. If that was the speed you were getting on mts RevB, then I'm sorry to say you'll get that speed on pro3 also, unless of course MTS has improved their network.

Reliance uses MTS' RevB network for Pro 3 in the circles in which MTS operates.

4G, I believe, requires a sim card, irrespective of gsm or CDMA. No way this zte device is gonna work on 4G.

MTS imposes some kind of throttling, I guess. The Pro 3 works better than MTS in MTS' own circle! Got a demo of the Pro 3 two days ago and saw the speeds were between 2-3 mbps.

Yeah, so.. my Pro3 experience has not been that good. First day I was getting really slow speeds, like 20-30kb download. Then today, from past night, it wouldn't connect.. I did lodge a complaint on live chat.. anyway.. I thought the slow speed problem could be due to using the auxilliary usb ports in front of my desktop.. as I have a heavy closed desk, the fixed ports didn't offer line of sight. So I thought I would connect through the adapter and link with wifi.. unfortunately I didn't have a wifi dongle to catch the signal. So I hastily took out my wifi TP-Link router thinking I would use that before realizing after attaching it that, hey this thing is a router, it doesn't catch other wifi signals. So anyway, I had the bright idea that maybe just maybe I could somehow link the two together.. searching the web I found info about bridging but not all modems support it, thankfully my tp-link router had wds bridging support. sigh of relief. So I set up wds bridging.. and Init.. but no connect. There was some crap on the net about the device you want to bridge to should have repeater support, etc. anyway, I started messing around and changed the channel on my router.. no go. I became worried that my pro3 dongle might not have repeater support. I plugged in the dongle to my pc again and found in the settings "Channel". So i matched the two channels. And hey, it connected. I could even open the reliance page and all after messing with the dns. both the dongle and router use the same dns.. 192.168.0.1..I changed the one on my router to .100. So now I have the homepage open.. why am I getting nothing after connecting? After some time brooding, I had the idea to look through my eth settings in gnome shell. So I then after some thinking, decided to try inputting the gateway and route direct to the pro3 dongle dns I was connecting to and the ip address to a sub one of the dongle's dns address. Cool, net access.

Still crappy speeds though. 50kbyte d/l most of the time. Improvement, but still. Sometimes get up to 100kbyte so I can feel like the geek version of Sachin Tendulkar. At least I can browse the web, think I might have to retire from downloading and cinema altogether.

Oh yeah, if you have to connect from Android, you have to make sure your IP Address in Advanced settings is within Pro3 dongle's dhcp range, which one findeth in the dongle's settings page.

Any ideas if this is supposed to be the speed one gets or what? The signal bar is always full and stable. And my TP-link router is the extra special kind with high transmission rates.

No guarantee with these CDMA dongles. My Reliance 3 is giving an avg d/l speed of 70KB/s. Your experience tells me I saved some good money by not going for the Pro 3! 😛

Status
Not open for further replies.