• Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 2,483

cracx2012

ISP
worldnet
Hello,
i am new here & this is my 1st post.

my query is..

i am not quite satisfied with my current ISP & want to switch over to something else.

i stay in ghatkopar, mumbai & have MTNL phone connection already.

i have heard from neighbors that mtnl triband is good & their recent unlimited schemes are quite reasonable [thinking of rs 600/month unlimited 2mbps]

Currently:
i have a local ISP providing me both Internet as well as a private HUB services [counter strike, file sharing, dc++] using PPPoE connection using 1 wire having RJ45 which goes in my onboard lancard
i have to dial pppoe to connect to either internet or connect to private net [both cant be operated simultaneously]
also, if my validity for internet expires, i cannot connect to private net [obviously]

Now, problem is i recently got a laptop[Dell 5400] & mobile[Nokia 5800XM] and want to connect to internet simultaneously using all 3 devices

but,
the ISP guy has done mac address binding to my userid and they take 3-4 days to change mac address [ happened when i changed my MoBo]
also when i asked if multiple MACs can be allowed they said they do not have such facility

Thus,

here's what i want to do :

1> get a wifi router & wifi enable my home so i can connect my Laptop, mobile & other devices [i plan to get a wireless laserjet printer soon]
Also connect my PC/LAPTOP to wifi router using RJ45 [i heard most of wifi routers have 4 lan ports]
2> also i plan to use both MTNL & local ISP [for hub sake] simultaneously , such that.. i am connected to internet via MTNL & connected to HUB via ISP
3> also [if possible] i would like to use internet from ISP as well as MTNL simultaneously so i get around 2x speed
4> but what i fear is
a> Traffic from HUB goes through my router to MTNL internet & viceversa
b> Traffic from MTNL internet goes through my router to ISP internet & viceversa
c> WiFi security

summarizing,
Networks connected to : 1> MTNL internet [via phone line] , 2> ISP internet [via dialing PPPoE ], 3> ISP local network [again via dialing PPPoE] ,
4> My Local network[PC,LAPTOP,MOBILE,PRINTER]

WHICH WiFi ROUTER SHOULD i GET??
DOES MTNL GIVE WiFi routers ? do i have to pay some monthly money?

can i opt to NOT USE MTNL ROUTER & use my OWN instead ???

please please help me out .. really confused..

Hello,
i am new here & this is my 1st post.

my query is..

i am not quite satisfied with my current ISP & want to switch over to something else.

i stay in ghatkopar, mumbai & have MTNL phone connection already.

i have heard from neighbors that mtnl triband is good & their recent unlimited schemes are quite reasonable [thinking of rs 600/month unlimited 2mbps]

It has an FUP and you will be downgraded in speed once you hit that, but I digress.

Currently:
i have a local ISP providing me both Internet as well as a private HUB services [counter strike, file sharing, dc++] using PPPoE connection using 1 wire having RJ45 which goes in my onboard lancard
i have to dial pppoe to connect to either internet or connect to private net [both cant be operated simultaneously]
also, if my validity for internet expires, i cannot connect to private net [obviously]

Now, problem is i recently got a laptop[Dell 5400] & mobile[Nokia 5800XM] and want to connect to internet simultaneously using all 3 devices

but,
the ISP guy has done mac address binding to my userid and they take 3-4 days to change mac address [ happened when i changed my MoBo]
also when i asked if multiple MACs can be allowed they said they do not have such facility

Thus,

here's what i want to do :

1> get a wifi router & wifi enable my home so i can connect my Laptop, mobile & other devices [i plan to get a wireless laserjet printer soon]
Also connect my PC/LAPTOP to wifi router using RJ45 [i heard most of wifi routers have 4 lan ports]

This is easily enough done. I personally like Netgear devices and they've got some pretty decent stuff even in the budget ( also i plan to use both MTNL & local ISP [for hub sake] simultaneously , such that.. i am connected to internet via MTNL & connected to HUB via ISP
3> also [if possible] i would like to use internet from ISP as well as MTNL simultaneously so i get around 2x speed

#2 is... semi possible, I think. You will need both an ADSL modem (this should be set to PPPoE mode and will take care of the PPPoE dialing for MTNL) and a Broadband Router. Then, plug the ISP's RJ-45 cable in to the WAN on a broadband router (this should also be set to PPPoE mode and will take care of the PPPoE dialing for the other ISP), then that router will pick up the IP address from the ISP and you will get hub services. Put a cable between the ADSL modem and the Broadband router in the LAN ports and ensure that ONLY the ADSL modem is running a DHCP server and you should be able to access both.

#3 won't work as you imagine - for this you need a load balancer - and these are not cheap (and almost definitely not worth the money).

4> but what i fear is
a> Traffic from HUB goes through my router to MTNL internet & viceversa
b> Traffic from MTNL internet goes through my router to ISP internet & viceversa
c> WiFi security

a/b. This can be prevented by turning on a feature called "Network Isolation" on the Broadband router.
c. Modern Routers allow WPA2/WPA-PSK security - so long as you set a decent passphrase, you should be fine.

summarizing,
Networks connected to : 1> MTNL internet [via phone line] , 2> ISP internet [via dialing PPPoE ], 3> ISP local network [again via dialing PPPoE] ,
4> My Local network[PC,LAPTOP,MOBILE,PRINTER]

Using the equipment mentioned above, you would NOT need to dial the PPPoE connection from your PC (nor *should* you, otherwise you will continue to face the same problem as you have now: you can only access one or the other service, not both at the same time) - the ADSL modem and Broadband router would take care of each connection respectively, so long as they're set correctly.

WHICH WiFi ROUTER SHOULD i GET??
DOES MTNL GIVE WiFi routers ? do i have to pay some monthly money?

can i opt to NOT USE MTNL ROUTER & use my OWN instead ???

please please help me out .. really confused..

1. For a fairly solid basic router I'm happy with recommending the Netgear WGR614 as a broadband router suitable for connecting to your cable provider. It comes with 802.11n (lite - 150mbit/s) and 4 LAN ports, plus the WAN port.
2. Yes, MTNL gives WiFi routers, yes, they charge rental, but to do what you want you will need 2 devices, so a basic modem with 1 LAN port from MTNL should suffice (it doesn't need to have WiFi if you have that in your broadband router).
3. Yes, you can buy an ADSL modem and just inform MTNL that you already have the requisite equipment and only need to know the settings for their service.

thanks for the reply sir,

also i would really like to know..
is there any possible way by which i can have two isolated networks
1> internet through phone line [rj11]
2> hub through local isp broadband [rj45]
in the same device

it is ok if i cant connect simultaneously but..
do i HAVE TO BUY 2 DEVICES?

also,

suppose i purchase this:
DGN1000

then .. suppose i plug in my local ISP broadband line [rj 45] into one of the 4 slots
along with the phone line in "internet" slot[rj11] ..

will both work?

thanks

lol m noob

Err... well... yes and no.To use it in the way you described in your original post, you'd need 2 devices because you're dealing with two types of connection (ADSL with MTNL, Ethernet with your existing provider).However, if you continue to use your existing connection only on your desktop PC and then use your laptop/phone for Internet, you could get away with having just that one device and the problem goes away.Otherwise no, you can't plug your existing ISPs cable in to one of the 4 ports on that device because of all the MAC binding and stuff.