please help me in networking...

• Thread starter Thread starter sagardash
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 1,537

sagardash

ISP
BSNL broadband
Hi...can any one please help me in connecting two laptop through networking by only cable(...with out router...) because i have no router...only one rj45 cable is there by which i want to connect to laptop ...please help...i want share files and internet...please tell me steps...so that i can configure...from two laptop one is windows xp and one is vista operating syatem...THANKS..

Connect the two via LAN ports. The network should be auto detected, if not create a Home Network under Network Connections.EDIT: Oops, I just noticed that is was Xp-Vista and not XP-XP. Sorry about that. XP-Vista does not auto detect AFAIK. Might just be me, though.For Vista Do this under Network and sharing centre :network discovery: ONpassword protected: OFFfile sharing: ONpublic folder sharing: ONMake sure both Laptops have the same workgroup name

dont you need a "crossover" cable to connect directly like that? either get a crossover cable or a cheap hub with another cable...

Connect the two via LAN ports. The network should be auto detected, if not create a Home Network under Network Connections.

EDIT: Oops, I just noticed that is was Xp-Vista and not XP-XP. Sorry about that. XP-Vista does not auto detect AFAIK. Might just be me, though.

For Vista Do this under Network and sharing centre :

network discovery: ON
password protected: OFF
file sharing: ON
public folder sharing: ON

Make sure both Laptops have the same workgroup name

1st thanks for replying...

actually i tried the rule what you told and that link also.....i got success 50%...because i can access vista files and folders in my XP machine...but while accessing files from my vista machine it asking for id and password....i also gave id and password of my xp machine but its showing error...

if laptops have wifi cards and drivers loaded, u can have a wireless ad-hoc connectivity between two or more, its really nice.