Planning to switch from Airtel to Spectranet, information needed.

• Thread starter Thread starter quackquack
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 5,850
ISP
airtel
hi,
greetings!
i am planning to switch from airtel to spectranet, wired connection. can someone shed light onto this matter. Chennai airtel is okay but sometime network latency is a PITA. the customer care parrots just speak as they are being taught. i called up spectranet, rep by name abhishekh told me i need to contact my local cable op. but the things which i wanted to know were not answered by the tech rep. my questions are:
1. do i need a docsis modem
2. what kind of cpe they provide
3. latency and jitter and speed
4. plans which are optimal
5. ports blocked/opened
6. customer care issues you may have faced/facing
7. what kind of issues
8. payment related
9. wifi is not an option, wired is.
10. backend support.
if they support all these info then i may switch from airtel to spectranet else i will stick with airtel.
thanks
-paul

1) You need a lan jack. No modems required. The cable operators maintain an ethernet network2) None. You will receive an ethernet cable which you can either insert directly into your computers lan socket or into a wifi router if you plan to use wifi3) Average4) Ask for a pamphlet from your cable operator5) All ports are open except voip port (skype works buy phones configured to use voip ports won't work)6 and 7) Spectranet doesn't manage the network personally. It has been outsourced to your cable guy. Your connection makes its way through several switches that exist between your house and the cable guys office. These switches run on 12v power adapters powered by random people in your locality. If one of them is switched off, your internet will go down. So you'll probably call customer care for any of these two reasons: 1) Cannot access login page or 2) Cannot ping gateway8) Prepaid. A boy will be sent to collect money at your doorstep or you can pay personally at their office.9) Okay.... You will get a wired connection. Take that wire and insert it into a wifi router. Now you have both wired and wireless internet.10) It's simple. You'll get three things: an ip and a username from the cable guy. And finally a password from a spectranet guy who'll call you on your phone from delhi. Write down all of these on a piece of paper.

chromaniac said:
I am assuming that the shift key is broken on your keyboard?
that horrible? oh my oh my! i thought these guys did it nice. hmmm.thanks for the updated info. damn i need a new spare key. common, these guys are heavily marketing in my area and many people did went for it.
so i thought it will be okay to ask here. now i realized i was about to get bear trapped.
thanks again for the detailed oneliner. cheers mate!
-paul
sachins said:
1) You need a lan jack. No modems required. The cable operators maintain an ethernet network2) None. You will receive an ethernet cable which you can either insert directly into your computers lan socket or into a wifi router if you plan to use wifi3) Average4) Ask for a pamphlet from your cable operator5) All ports are open except voip port (skype works buy phones configured to use voip ports won't work)6 and 7) Spectranet doesn't manage the network personally. It has been outsourced to your cable guy. Your connection makes its way through several switches that exist between your house and the cable guys office. These switches run on 12v power adapters powered by random people in your locality. If one of them is switched off, your internet will go down. So you'll probably call customer care for any of these two reasons: 1) Cannot access login page or 2) Cannot ping gateway8) Prepaid. A boy will be sent to collect money at your doorstep or you can pay personally at their office.9) Okay.... You will get a wired connection. Take that wire and insert it into a wifi router. Now you have both wired and wireless internet.10) It's simple. You'll get three things: an ip and a username from the cable guy. And finally a password from a spectranet guy who'll call you on your phone from delhi. Write down all of these on a piece of paper.
amazing! amazing! i rather stick with airtel. you guys terrorised me! i am way far of better with airtel. this is pathetic. how do they even boast about it. thank you for saving me from venturing me into rough seas. besides as usual its the captain who always sinks his boat, because he forgot to damn radio. geez this is horrible. sounds like a hitchcock thriller.
thanks mate for a detailed sad step by step dissection.
-paul

Hi Paul
pl share your contact number and Email id.
Thanks
Shagun