Planning to change ISP to get better NAT type.

Lolita_Magnum

ᓚᘏᗢ
ISP
AS17665
AS11158
My current ISP having a CGNAT forces me to have strict(NAT) almost among all games.
I have heard Airtel and Jio get you Moderate to Open nat type, so if you are one of those users, please share if that's true.
And what games did you try.
Interested Games be - BF5, COD, GTAonline, RDR2, Division2, etc.
Ping and Performance isn't really an issue, since I'm living in Mumbai, I'm quite sure they'll be just fine.
Also, I'm having terrible time with Ubisoft Connect getting error like 'Ubisoft Service is unavailable'. So if that works for you too, please share. Plus most ubisoft games I get dropped of midgame due to crappy port forwarding.

Tata Sky Broadband gets me Open type NAT because of static publicity routable IPv6.

I have Jio fiber and get Open NAT on my PS4 playing warzone/ COD Balck ops cold war. Also the latencies and connection quality is remarkable. I've tried all the games you mentioned except GTA online.

Ipv6 is not any good, since a lot of games purely rely on ipv4 only.
This forum is all about discussing about ipv6, day in day out. Better routing, low pings do not matter here. It's like they have got a property on moon if provided ipv6 by ISP. To me it's the root of all routing related problems, as it's a work in progress, and not optimised as IPv4. For gamers like us it's a nightmare to have. Ipv4 worked, but a few enthusiasts want something to tinker with so they prefer v6! Baffles me! Imagine having the time to tweak your internet settings with something new just for the bragging rights and still fail to achieve better results than an old yet working tech!

@hallow2087 Dude that’s quite an outburst about IPv6. But ultimately IPv6 is where we are headed. I enjoy Open NAT on Tata Sky Broadband after using a combination of CG-NAT IPv4 and static IPv6. Best of both worlds. OP can reset your teredo settings and maybe he can get Open NAT again.

@hallow2087 Yea, you are absolutely right. Ipv6 still feels in it's early stages and is misconfigured by a lot of ISPs. Unless it's implemented globally and Ipv4 is completely removed, Ipv6 until then will still be useless.
@tatyasky my isp has shit Ipv6 config, it drops Ipv6 connectivity after every 20h. And needs a reset. Hence, I prefer it disabled. Other than that, kindly share in which application you are getting open nat. Atleast about my knowledge, many aaa titles do not support Ipv6.

Thank you @Yatch i think I'll try their 1month free JioFiber, though I'm worried since Jio tends to give under performed speeds, since it's only 2 people to use the connection in my home, having anything higher than 30Mbps. But I heard one barely get anything about 24-26Mbps.
Might also try Airtel lol, though I feel I'm more lenient towards Airtel. I have also heard, many regions airtel has stopped giving customer dynamic public ip.

Last edited:
@hallow2087 Yea, you are absolutely right. Ipv6 still feels in it's early stages and is misconfigured by a lot of ISPs. Unless it's implemented globally and Ipv4 is completely removed, Ipv6 until then will still be useless.
@tatyasky my isp has shit Ipv6 config, it drops Ipv6 connectivity after every 20h. And needs a reset. Hence, I prefer it disabled. Other than that, kindly share in which application you are getting open nat. Atleast about my knowledge, many aaa titles do not support Ipv6.
I use “Xbox Companion” app on Windows 11. Under settings it has Xbox Networking where it shows NAT status. On Windows 10, you can go to Settings -> xbox gaming -> Connectivity
I don’t exactly remember exact names as Windows 10 is already a distant memory.

@tatyasky thats where your knowledge limited. Almost all games except ones that run dependant on Xbox Services, like Forza, Halo, Gears of War, etc. Can't make use of teredo, unless specifically implemented by the game developer, this won't work.
Games like Gta online, which heavily relies on P2P via Ipv4 for multi-player, there is no option for Ipv6 and does not support anything else.
Other aaa games, also are ipv4 native only.
I suggest you try other games, and understand the difference, most of these games tell you what your nat type is.

It’s not about my lack of knowledge. You asked a simple question as to which app I used and I told you just that. Almost all ISPs around the world are on CG-NAT and yet people are playing MMO games. Even more so during last 4-5 years. It’s clearly a problem at your end or your ISP’s misconfigured IPv6. Switch to Airtel or some ISP which gives you publicly routable or Static IPv4. Jio will assign static IP if you tell them that your PC is a CCTV camera. Tata Sky don’t even do that.

MMO games are server based, meaning the session and player data is exchanged via the server being the middle man.
These services are okay with strict NAT, and it's only fallback is it induces a slight increase in latency, but unlike that, other games which rely on P2P session(here player is the one hosting a session) having strict nat, reduces your reachability to other players drastically while also increases instability.
Lastly, I don't really need a static ip, since if or any server I hold is hosted in data centers, so why should I pay for a static ip, if my only requirement is for gaming then the ISP having better port mapping and routing ability would be better and it seems players like Jio and Airtel are doing just that.

@Lolita_Magnum Well I didn't know you could disable ipv6. Then that would be the first thing I would have done. I'm on Jio fiber presently, so I can use ipv4 only with this? If yes, please mention how.

@hallow2087 I'm not sure if there is an option in your JioFiber router, since I don't have one but.. In your desktop/laptop, go to your connection adapters properties (wifi/ethernet), and uncheck Ipv6, Ipv6 will stop working system-wide.
Detailed steps be:
Go to control panel > network and internet > network and sharing center > change adapter settings > right click on the adapter you are using, either wifi or ethernet > properties > uncheck internet protocol version 6 > ok.