Planning to buy a hard disk in the near future? Now is a good time.

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 32
  • Views Views 4,722
Flood days are gone yes, but the production capacity hasn't completely recovered yet. Prices will probably come down in the next 6 months or so.

It's not just that, the actual MRP of 1TB WD Green OEM drive is Rs. 4k, vendors/retailers/distri are asking 5-6k for them, 1-2k more than the MRP.Some of the classic black market/hoarding tactics at work again... I think they're creating an artificial demand although they have sufficient stock.Now that they have tasted blood, the prices are not expected to go down anytime soon.Only last year I bought a 1TB HDD at 2.5k. Wish I had bought a couple more at that time...

Flood days are gone yes, but the production capacity hasn't completely recovered yet. Prices will probably come down in the next 6 months or so.

It is understandable that floods will have a short to medium turn impact on the prices but its already 4 months since the floods and another 6 months sounds like a really long time for prices to return back to normal. I think the shortage is just one of the contributors in the price rise and collusion among vendors is also a factor. The differences are nearly 40% which is enormous.

i hope the prices come down soon my collection of 12 TB HDDS are filling up like crap i cant wait for April - May to come for the HDD prices to come down (thats when the vendor said the prices would be back to normal) aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhh

These local distributors play the same game with Intel processors too with high pricing. I think(thats me) buying a HDD hereafter is not a good idea. Better wait till the price come down and go for SSD.

There is so much consolidation going on in the HDD space. Arent these acquisitions subject to antitrust approvals? With only 2-3 major players price collusion will become much more easier and since disks are already overpriced, they might take much longer to return back to normal

Well, the fall in the value of INR wrt USD is the major reason for the overpriced products.

No, thats not the major reason, thats just one of the secondary causes. Mainly its because of the floods in thailand that the supply chain is screwed and now that its back to normal, the distributors dont want to bring down the prices.

Now where did the "Thailand floods" come in this? What's the relation of that?As far as i know the the major reason is what i mentioned earlier.Many electronical products come from overseas especially US, it affects the custom & import duty.So, all in all it affects the price of the products.So, temme how come it has a subordinate role in that?

Now where did the "Thailand floods" come in this? What's the relation of that?
As far as i know the the major reason is what i mentioned earlier.

A large percentage of hard-drives are manufactured in Thailand. When it floods and the factories have to cease production, supply goes down. With demand not getting any less, the prices go up.

The same sorts of things happen when Taiwan has earthquakes (motherboards) or something happens in Korea (RAM)...

they are still updating orders from last 5 months , at that time some huge DC'S were behind by 500k of hdds !! prices are expected to reach normal from end of march to may 😕 there is still a huge back log on thousands of hdds to be supplied all over the world. why hell put all eggs in the same basket though 😕

they are still updating orders from last 5 months , at that time some huge DC'S were behind by 500k of hdds !! prices are expected to reach normal from end of march to may 😕 there is still a huge back log on thousands of hdds to be supplied all over the world. why hell put all eggs in the same basket though 😕

Flipkart has reduced the price of certain models by 300 bucks, so hopefully the trend continues. I agree about the too much production happening at a single place. This incident should make manufacturers move production to other countries so political/climatic incidents in one country dont impact the global prices.

----------

This model was priced at 8.7K just 2 weeks back. 1000 rupee price reduction was quick. Lets hope it quickly goes back to its actual price of 5.2 - 5.5K