Planning action in district consumer forum against Airtel DTH

• Thread starter Thread starter zehawk
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 8,232
@aviral: BB + land line and 3 cell phone connections, and I own Airtel stocks too 🙂
I really like Airtel, IMHO they are way ahead of the others. I've always has great responsive service from them when things go wrong, and most of the time things work just fine.

Over the last 8 odd years of using Airtel services, I've brought many service deficiencies to their notice across BB, cellular, data services and DTH and managed to reach satisfactory resolutions in all but 1 case. This was payment for the STB when it stopped working last year. I make a racket last time and then paid with the assurance that they will replace it free of charge if it fails again.
15 months later the STB has failed again, and (not surprisingly) Airtel is refusing to honour their assurance.

I see that you have got experience in fighting consumer court case, so why not have a case against airtel BB for monopolistic practices.

I remember of having Airtel Digital Tv year back when I made a request to close a connection they said I need to return STB to nearest Distributor. I replied go to hell come and take it if you want, after a week a guy came I told the same to take that f*cking Dish guy said he can't. Then I told I won't let you get STB if you don't take wires, dish and other things out, he moved on and never came back. 😛issed-off:
After almost 3 months I got call from Airtel CC arguing that I refused to surrender their property which is against law and they can take legal action if I don't return them back. CC guy said removing things other than STB are not their concern and I replied gently that Go To Hell. After a week or so some guy came in Airtel Uniform and removed everything (including Dish, Wires and even filled the drills with some cement). 😛ositive:

Please explain about the "[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]monopolistic practices" in more detail.[/color]
There is enough and more competition for Airtel, so I'm not sure how they can afford to be monopolistic.

I have forgot to suggest this to you. If you complain to ministry of information and broadcasting regarding this issue with your DTH connection i am sure it will be resolved. I have had a very good experience after taking that route.
1. Got refund when they removed radio channels from their platform. (Even though i did not pay for it separately yet they do not segregate what is free and what is charged.)
2. Got the ads removed from the UI which they placed.
3. Got the other customer id which was activated on my mobile which was mine. (with CC this complaint was unresolved for 1yr.)
4. Got hefty refund for the removal of Star Cricket HD and ESPN HD.
So for me writing to MIB has worked everytime. It is evident that they have to close the complaint with my conset that it has been fully resolved or not and then reply to MIB on the status.

Thats a good input, I saw about this grievance redressal avenue on some other threads yesterday and filed a complaint against Airtel regarding some simple stuff:
1. Asking for Airtel logo, channel logo and program name to be brought up on need basis, or be made unobtrusive, to save screen space.
2. Transparent Airtel logo to prevent burn in on screen.
My understanding is that the MIB (Men In Black, heh heh) will take cognizance of content related issues, not the particular one I'm facing which should be the purview of TRAI and district consumer forum (DCF). TRAI does not take cognizance of individual complaints, so that leaves me with the DCF.
What do you think?

I think try with MIB once. But keep in mind your complaint with MIB can take almost 3-4 months to be fruitful.
This is because i do not think that Consumer court will give any important to logo issue and all. These have to be rectified by bombarding MIB with the complaint like we did in case of Advert issue. That was reolved in 2weeks time. So what we can do is make a draft complaint having all the necessary proofs(photographs). And then pressurise airtel on acting on it with pressure from MIB.