Planned Obsolescence

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 42
  • Views Views 8,095
Whoa 110MB video!! Give some warning for MB based users!! 😀Btw what is it about?

Ohhh.. so there is an actual technical term to what happens around these days in product life cycle. Few days back, a friend and me were having this discussion on how things have changed. Earlier people used to buy things thinking it will last them for a lifetime and now we are seeing this use, upgrade, upgrade again mentality. If people are satisfied with a particular device, and if the device stays functioning for years on end then company ki waat lag jayegi. But where is the line drawn ? Kis had tak jaa sakti hai ye companies ?

I have old Onida TV.. working from abt 18 years now.Old fully automatic washing machine working from abt 15yrs.Both costed good money but are value for money.And now a days...TV and washing machine still cost almost the same but i doubt they will last more than 5-8 yrs.So is technology going forward or backward? Actually human qualities of humans is going backward!

Whoa 110MB video!! Give some warning for MB based users!! 😀

Btw what is it about?
My Internet download manager says 360p - 261 MB, 240p - 120 MB.
Anyway i'm downloading it..

this video was posted in a thread on reddit about printers. printers today are made to last for only a couple of years. that is planned obsolescence.

ohhh..such a big video to explain this?!anyway...what abt CD drive...i am yet to come across a CD drive which lasts more than a year!I must have purchased like 5 CD drives to date. They all started giving problems in 8-9 months. Although I kept using them whatever CDs they cud read.

My 3 months old LG DVD writer struggles to read some of the 8.5 GB Dual layer dvd's whereas my friends(3-4 months old) Samsung DVD writer can read the same. It seems that i've to buy another DVD writer(samsung) as a backup. Whew.........i'm tired of buying CD/DVD writers in the past few years...waste of money.

DVD writers always get wasted after few months of use if u use them regular, same case with laptop writers. twice happened to mine and i have seen same with my frnds.

Even now, if you are willing to pay the price, you wont have this problem..

Just for an example, an i3 based thinkpad with a 7 years warranty costs around Rs 80k, but a Dell with a 1 yr warranty costs 30k and looks better.
People will buy the dell and talk about it failing after 2 yrs.

Similarly you can get AC's now for much lower prices than in the past, but they will last say 10 yrs (like samsung) instead of the 20+ years like Panasonic.

Same thing happens with cell phones, the old S60v5 phones had a 3-5 year lifecycle, with 2+ days of battery life, but were killed with the introduction of Android phones with a 6month to 1yr lifecycle.

At the end of the day it is the market which decides what it wants, and cheap shiny stuff always wins

----------

this video was posted in a thread on reddit about printers.

printers today are made to last for only a couple of years.

that is planned obsolescence.

Only the cheap ones..

I had bought a HP 910 printer @ 4.5k in 2009.
It has printed 600+ pages on the default cartridges without any issues so far.
Yes, you will face problems if you go for the Rs 2k printers ,or cheap MFD's, but if you plan to keep them for more than an year or so, its always better to go for discrete devices somewhere in the middle of the priceband

----------

I have old Onida TV.. working from abt 18 years now.
Old fully automatic washing machine working from abt 15yrs.

Both costed good money but are value for money.

And now a days...TV and washing machine still cost almost the same but i doubt they will last more than 5-8 yrs.
Consider time value of money, if the absolute price is the same, then the current prices are much lower than the old prices
So is technology going forward or backward?
What makes you think it is going backward? having a camera in your phone? having a remote with your TV? having a TV that has a flat screen, thus reducing image distortion?
Actually human qualities of humans is going backward!
What does that even mean?

i am trying to revive a 5-6 year old AC at my place. not used for 2 years now...called up carrier guys. 750 is the visitation charges (!). waiting for them to arrive and then see how much more it would cost me. i have a feeling that they would say something on the line... major replacements required... could cost me a fortune.

has anybody ever used an ac for 20 years??? i doubt it.:blink:

I just sold off a 17 year old AC..
It was functional except for the thermostat, which wouldnt allow it to turn off the compressor when it got cold

Have another Samsing AC about 8 yrs old.. works perfectly till now

why would anybody want to buy a laptop with 7 years warranty???? hardly anyone as the specs change so fast and so dramatically that its good to replace the lappy after 3-4 years for lesser investment and still save money?? buy one for 32-35 k and after 3-4 years get another for 32-35k for better specs. and save around minimum 10k rs.:yawn: