Ping spikes when downloading stuff.

nishantt6969

I got banned!
ISP
Airtel Xstream Fiber (300Mbps)
Router : RPi-4B (OpenWrt), TP-Link A6 (AP)
I have noticed ping spikes while downloading/upload any stuff in jio fiber. It didnt happen in airtel even when exhausting the whole bandwidth while measuring ping.

With this observation, I have a question. What if the other people connected to the same dp box as I am download/upload stuff at full speed of their plan, will I get ping spikes?

Go to this site, Speed test - how fast is your internet? | DSLReports, ISP Information
Do a test and check what does it say about Buffer bloat.

Your issue sounds like bufferbloat. It probably didn't happen on airtel because their router was more capable or simply configured to handle it.

It says there is bufferfloat thing,How to get over it?

What's the bufferbloat rating according to that site?

You can try complaining to Jio and upgrading your router. I don't know if Jio has QoS settings but if they have it, Try experimenting with those.

I didnt find any Qos settings in jio router. The router I am having is the latest one with latest firmware, better than the old one. Even if I use some other router connected to jio router with cable, issue is going to last even then right?

Also, the pings to gateway are 1-4ms. To default dns server is also 3-5ms. Pings in game are also comparable to airtel, but I get 1% packet loss in csgo sometimes, Any idea why is that? 10-20 times during a 40minutes game session.

I invite guys with different jio routers to come and tell if they face such an issue, also name their router model.

ping spikes when downloading happens on airtel Nokia router as well. So to avoid this i connected TP-Link in bridge mode.

though the spike was like 100 ms till downloading completes and then back to 5 ms

Jio is giving packet loss in games and speedtest servers, also on discord.

For game related issues, you need to raise a ticket with jio and explain the local engineer about this issue. Routing is the cause for it

@Rickysin when I asked him about optical tx/rx power, they couldnt understand it. What to expect?

Well to be honest, the main reason I disconnected jio fiber was the local engineers. They did not even know ping or traceroute. All they can do is call backend guy.

so that is why i said to at least get a hold of local guys and then once they call the backend team, you can ask them to hand over the phone to you to explain better

I connected my Tenda router to jiofiber router via lan cable. I used to get loss on every speedtest server, but not getting any on this router, tenda supports only ipv4. Is it possible the loss was due to ipv6?