Ping Primary Domain Name Server : Fail

• Thread starter Thread starter Sonnu
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 23,792

Sonnu

Greetings fellow rockers!I have a unique peoblem with my Airtel Broadband connection. The thing is, I am able to connect to the internet, browse sites et all, BUT I cannot ping my primary DNS server! O_O Whenever I ping 192.168.1.1, the request times out! And this is the primary reason why my p2p softwares are refusing to run, as none of them can listen to their respective UDP ports. I have everything configured through the Beetel 220BX configuration page, but even the diagnostic test "Ping primary DNS server" FAILS.Can anybody look into this matter?Regards,Sonnu.

firstly, 192.168.1.1 is usually the ip of your modem.. and to ping it, you need to assign an ip address of that range to ur computer..

The IP address of my computer is 192.168.1.2, that of my gateway (default) is 192.168.1.1...normally airtel support team asks me to ping this one to check for DNS connectivity.

umm. u would be pinging dns servers rather than ur modem ip to check for connectivity.check if ur firewall is blocking the pings. anyways, u would be better off using:4.2.2.14.2.2.2 for ur dns servers.

Hmm. I found one thing. My firewall is Bitdefender 10, and it was blocking all attempts, becasue it was configured with a home/direct connection, when it should have been in the Trusted/Office zone. I reconfigured it, and I am able to ping 4.2.2.2, 4.2.2.1, and even my modem IP. But I found that some online games like Knightonline, and all the torrent applications fail to listen to their respective UDP ports even now, although the ports have already been forwarded.We are on the first ladder of success, Thanks Sushubh! Now if only we could get to the root of this problem, I would be very grateful. Do I need to know the modem configuration via 192.168.1.1/main.html? If yes, Would someone share it?

how r u connecting to the internet? do u dial a connection from within windows like a normal dialup connection or is it always on? if it is the second case, then in addition to forwarding the ports on ur firewall, u also need to forward them in ur modem.. look for something called port forwarding or virtual server in ur modem's configuration thing.. wish i could help more but i havent used the beetel modem.. sorry

Watrerloo is right! Bitdefender 10 was configured for Home/Direct and was blocking most attempts. Reconfigured it for manual settings, and everything's fine now. I thank all of you for tking interest in solving my problem.Sincere thanks and warm regards,Sonnu.