Picture quality not as good as DVD quality

• Thread starter Thread starter samdesilva
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 5,790
Precisely those people who spend more than Rs. 80,000 on a TV would want HDTV, since most such TVs have at least 720p.

And it's not that I am saying that we should exclusively go HD - just that the option should be there for those willing to pay for it. There are a lot of people in the metro cities who would pay Rs. 1500+ p.m. for HDTV.

But it's somewhat of a chicken and egg thing - till the hardware isn't there for DTH providers to transmit HD, channels have no incentive to end upgrade their transmissions to HD, and vice-versa.

And as teamare said, the fact that the only output in all STBs available here (AFAIK) is composite, is really shitty at best. They should have at least got component hookups.

It might be possible to "hack" an HDTV solution. But that will not give you any result unless content itself is of HD Quality.

For example, it should be possible to hook up Coolsat 8000 HD FTA Satellite Receiver - COOLSAT8000H by: Coolsat - to Dish TV / Tata Sky dish.

720p TV's are here from 30k onwards..So its nearing mainstream channel and lcd tv prices are going down by a good margin by each quarter..So it might be good to intro some HD channels at a premium..but this is india 😗

Not quite true, the cable i.e a coaxial is more than capable of delivering far greater than "DVD Quality" you just need the right sort of equipment. Cable Internet modems are capable of delivering over 40Mb/s of bandwidth over the same cable, a DVD needs 4Mb/s of bandwidth for the video to be streamed. It is actually the STB in this case that is incapable of delivering "DVD Quality" because the cable TV standard in India is Analog.

I disagree. The connection from your set top box to your TV is only by RCA cables. RCA/Composite or S Video cables can accept a maximum of 480 interlaced while DVD specifications claim a full quality of 480 progressive. The bandwidth to the set top box is not the bottleneck here. So for delivering full DVD quality, as advertised, they need to have either component out/DVI or HDMI output out of the set top box. period!!!.

The only thing they can advertise is that the signals are digital.

But again, none of the Indian TV channels provide 480p broadcast. The only way of using full DVD quality (480p) would be to source HD content from Discovery/National Geographic and Down Rez it to 480p.

except 480 is a NTSC std..so i'm a little confused.

Maybe he means 576 ?

we dont use pal-m in this country afaik.