Picture quality not as good as DVD quality

• Thread starter Thread starter samdesilva
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 5,788

samdesilva

ISP
MTNL
Hi all,Needed your help on this one. I had Tata Sky installed 2 days ago🙂. I am getting signal strength around 60 and signal quality around 80, but the picture quality I get is not very good😕. Better than what I get from my cableguy, but not as good as the DVD quality they advertise about. I stay in a 8-floor building. My flat is on the 1st floor and the dish has been installed on the terrace. What I wanted to know was, is it because of the distance between the dish and the digicomp that the signal quality is not 100? (I have read most people getting signal quality as 100 in posts here) or do you think I should call their technician again to have a look at the issue. Please reply.

i think if you are getting better quality compared to your cable guy... its pretty good...my experience with dth is that the quality generally sucks compared to the cable guy. esp with dish tv.

They "advertise" it as DVD quality where infact the cables that carry their signal ( from the antenna to your TV ) is incapable of actually delivering DVD quality.

umm. ur forgetting that the compression does not leave the quality anywhere near DVD standards. i saw jurrasic park 3 on dish tv and the entire movie was smuggy with VCD like poor graphics.

"DVD quality" is a stupid term because it means nothing. For instance, the video quality of hollywood movies on DVD is way superior to that of bollywood movies on DVD.As Sushubh said, be happy that you are getting better quality than regular cable.

They "advertise" it as DVD quality where infact the cables that carry their signal ( from the antenna to your TV ) is incapable of actually delivering DVD quality.

Not quite true, the cable i.e a coaxial is more than capable of delivering far greater than "DVD Quality" you just need the right sort of equipment. Cable Internet modems are capable of delivering over 40Mb/s of bandwidth over the same cable, a DVD needs 4Mb/s of bandwidth for the video to be streamed. It is actually the STB in this case that is incapable of delivering "DVD Quality" because the cable TV standard in India is Analog.

^yup true, those cables can provide much better quality than dvd.just need them to provide the quality. 😕

i dont know about you all but i am getting very good quality as compare to cabeline there is a quality difference between some of channels like zee quality are not so good as star i am very satisfy with the quality

You said it !But seriously aren't there any tech standards defined anywhere, which can be used for comparison ?I have cable with STB at home from Hathway. Though the quality is better than cable, the picture still leaves a lot to be desired. Where can I find out what SHOULD be the output ?cheers.

These are not tech standards since its much more then technology that decides quality.

Much of it comes from Business decisions. TV Broadcasters have to decide how much to spend on digitizing non-live feed and how much bandwidth to be purchased etc etc.

Most of good quality encoding is manual, editors have to choose key frames manually and adjust frames to keep playback smooth [e.g without square blocks in action scenes].

That costs $$$. So the solution is to use automatic encoding where you pop edited footage into some system and out comes MPEGed feed. And compress it to max possible extent to save on satellite costs.

To save money, most production houses in India [there are exceptions] do not consider spending anything on DVD/TV authoring.

Where can I find out what SHOULD be the output ?

HQV - Hollywood Quality Video Processing for HD : Benchmark DVD

India has to come a long way in the term of Broadband Internet and DTH technology this technology are available in India but only use by corporate (High Speed Internet) at a very high cost it will take a time a Home user will get the high speed internet on their Hands

We have not come a long way in DTH technology.... we are using very old technology, especially w.r.t. STBs. We should have jumped straight to HD, even if it took a couple more years and more investment.

i am totaly agree with you vebmetal you are talking about the HD but the DTH in India is in stone age they are not providing the S-Video wire to there Set-Top-Box the S-Video is also Outdated you can get the S-Video with any cheap dvd players so why dont they are not providing the S-Video connection to the devices

We have not come a long way in DTH technology.... we are using very old technology, especially w.r.t. STBs. We should have jumped straight to HD, even if it took a couple more years and more investment.

Even if they did introduce HDTV who would afford the equipment for it? First you need to get one of those expensive HD ready TVs then get HDTV STBs that cost in excess of Rs. 12,000 abroad, the good ones costing more than twice that and many times the cost of the over priced STBs sold here by Tata Sky, not to mention the over pricing that would be done on these STBs if they were introduced. Then you have the monthly subscription costs etc etc... i think you can figure out where this is going. 😉