Philips DVD Player problem! Please suggest!

• Thread starter Thread starter Lokesh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 8,473

Lokesh

Regulars
ISP
Trib 649_Combo
Hi guys, after starting this thread on choosing a dvd player, i finally bought Philips DVP5986K for Rs 4300 (Delhi).
It works well, quality and all are good, rather excellent!
My only serious concern is:
1. Some DVDs i burned (finalized), say containing 5 video files. Now, 2 files don't have the .avi extension and the player cannot detect these 2 files (rest 3 video files with avi extension are detected!)
is there any way, i can play these avi files which don't have the avi extension (during renaming missed adding ".avi" at end)😢

2. This second concern is of much more importance. I encoded many of my video's (Copied DVDs) using FFDS (ffdshow) encoder(FFMpeg/Mpeg4). Now, this codec is not recognised by the player 😢 . It shows "Video codec not supported" error.
Can i play these video files in the player? Some jugaad!? 🙁

oh please help me!

This is because, the software will not support the other extenstion, say they desing to play only .avi, .mp3, .vob extension files, so apart from these extention the software will not detect the file. So we cant do any thing. :wall:

i had same problem no. 1. few files without .avi extension. no solution but re-burn with .avi extensionregarding problem no. 2, they have to be re-encoded & re-burnt, because the codecs the players dont have, can simply not be played

can't the company incorporate the codecs in their system upgrades?:wall:recnoding will take a lot of time! days!!!!😢

heh.. you are talking about these new generation of Blu-Ray media players. they come with internal storage and internet connectivity.Sony deliver software patches which expands the usability of the player.

i was talking about my 1.5 yrs+ old Philips divx player bought for about 3000 thenhehe... only if it would have been with internet & auto updates :evil:

no, Philips also offering driver updates for my dvd player (it's new in Indian market).just burn the software on cd and insert in plyer and it updates.!

heh.. you are talking about these new generation of Blu-Ray media players. they come with internal storage and internet connectivity.

Sony deliver software patches which expands the usability of the player.

Can u pls explain me more, i need to learn about this. 🙂

Hi Tehelka,Can u let me know the price of Philips 5986k, I am going to buy tht this week.Also if u knw some buyer who can give a good deal, right now I am gtng tht fr Rs 4490..which I believe is high coz u bought tht fr rs 4300 way back.I live in Rohini (Delhi)thnx

I have bought all my home appliances in 2006 when I moved to new house. It costs about 1.7 lac rupees. In this, 3 items were the products of Philips. All 3 items (Mixie, TV, Music System) were got repaired within the warranty period. They have replaced the Music system after so many complaints and phone calls. They have rectified my TV also. They have changed the motor of my mixie. After the warranty period, the mixie got repaired again. When I went to service centre, they have told me it will take one week time and the charge for the same is Rs. 850. I have agreed and called them after one week. They keep on saying one or other date and finally I went there for taking my mixie back. They havent shown courtesy to call me atleast once for updating me the progress. The man who went inside for bringing my mixer was not coming back for long time. I went and enquired what is happening. Then he was saying he had given me the item already. I have asked him where is the item them. Then he was showing my some philips shaving machine which was kept on the table. I have told him I have given the mixie for repairing and how come this become Shaver. Then he asked me my name because he lost the job card. Finally, I have collected my mixie without repairing. I have wasted my time, money to go there and give the item for repairing. This was happend in the below service centre😛hiliphs Service CentreCBI Road,Near RT Nagar,BangaloreWork Order Number: 0412Date: 06-12-2008All these complaints happened within 1 year after purchasing. I have purchased my grinder from a local manufacturer about 10 years back, and it is working without any trouble even now. This international brand is giving me a mental torture. One of my friends Music system, which was given for servicing 2 years back is not ready even now. They are moving to consumer court now. Philips Product is cheap and service is pathetic.