Petrol Pumps attendants might be cheating you out of your money

This has happened with me more than once iirc. Never knew this was their intention.

When I pay the person to fill up petrol worth 500/-, they take the money and they input petrol for 100 rupees in the machine, insert the nozzle in the tank but don’t start the fill. In a while, the person who takes the money pretends that there was a confusion and tells the other person that it’s 500 bucks to be filled in, not 100. The other person says he has already filled in 100 rupees and will fill for 400/- more. So they end up filling for only 400 rupees whereas they take 500 rupees.

So basically, the guy resets the machine without putting in Rs. 100 worth of petrol? The comments talk about other possible ways they could be cheating you.

So this happened with me yesterday. I was getting fuel filled up at a petrol pump near my home. I told them to completely fill up the tank of my bike. I think this is when they decide to fleece you. The attendant cunningly runs the petrol pipe over the display which shows the amount and blocks view of the hundredth digit while a second attendant try to divert your attention to something else which in my case was regarding my credit card. The second attendant tells me he'll swipe ₹1000 and will give me difference in cash. I smelled something fishy right away. I agreed to it but got alert. The guy started filling up petrol and the second attendant got me busy with punching my credit card PIN on his CC machine and getting my signature on the receipt. The first attendant tells me he has filled ₹800 petrol and I couldn't see the 8 on the display for obvious reasons. That's when I understood their trick. I told them to move the pipe away from the display and I saw it was ₹700 and not ₹800. He said sorry he misread the reading and the second attendant gave me ₹300 back.

I've had an incident where I had told the person to fill my tank for 100 and he filled it for 10 and again as their distraction had failed ,they started to apologise for their "Negligence" [emoji58]

Hmm. So this seems to be a very common way of cheating. I had also posted this on my FB wall and a friend says this is a very common and old trick 😀