• Thread starter Thread starter vebk
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 1,447

vebk

Mr. Advocate
ISP
Airtel 8 Mbps 'Unlimited'
Ok this is just something I could hammer out quickly in 20 minutes. Comments / Suggestions / Feedback appreciated. PM me or just post here. I think we can post it up on one of those online petition sites (recommendations?) - what does smallchange.in use?

Dear Mr. Mittal,

This is in reference to the new “Fair Usage Policy” that is purported to be implemented by Airtel Broadband on its unlimited broadband internet plans. While your company has failed to inform its customers and has failed to give notice of this change in policy, news of this new policy has spread over the internet like wildfire, solely to your detriment. As we understand it, this policy seeks to place “Caps” on ‘unlimited’ plans after which a subscriber’s speed would be halved for the rest of the billing period.

We, the undersigned, are loyal subscribers of Airtel Broadband Plans. We have come to appreciate the quality of service provided by Airtel, and this quality has not gone unnoticed. Typically, we are people who others come to for advice when it comes to computer and other technological issues. We have (till now) proudly recommended Airtel Broadband wholeheartedly to any and everyone. Some of us even work in the IT industry, and have recommended Airtel’s services to our employers. Some of us are even small to medium business owners who use Airtel Broadband at our offices.

The undersigned feel that this policy, under the garb of “fair usage,” seeks to essentially place limits on ‘unlimited’ plans and is one that will wipe away all your goodwill in the market in one fell swoop. We feel that this is a tremendously regressive move towards internet usage in India. As it is, it’s a shameful situation that the country that is famous for its Information Technology industry has some of the slowest broadband plans in the world. To add salt to the wound, policies such as your “Fair Usage Policy” seeks to now drive the last nail into the proverbial coffin and seal India’s fate, to be technologically inferior to most other countries, including other developing nations.

Unfortunately, one badly thought out policy will shatter your most valuable marketing asset – word of mouth recommendation.

We, the undersigned, therefore pledge that should Airtel not rollback and discontinue this “Fair Usage Policy”:
1.We shall discontinue our subscription to all Airtel services.
2.We shall discontinue, with immediate effect, recommending Airtel to all friends, acquaintances, relatives, businesses etc.
3.We shall make all efforts, including the use of mainstream media, to educate Airtel Subscribers about the regressiveness of this policy.
4.We shall consider and initiate all legal action against you in the competent courts of law, solely at your risk, costs and consequences.

You may kindly note, that this petition is being presented to you in the utmost good faith, and as a sign of our loyalty to your brand (which unfortunately is fast eroding). The goodwill, which you have so painstakingly built over the years solely through excellence in service, compels us to appeal to your better senses. However, being informed consumers, it is our intention to communicate that this policy is entirely and wholly unacceptable to us. Not only is it bad in law, but more importantly, it is bad in taste.

Kindly take the appropriate actions, and channel your efforts towards improving the broadband scenario in India, instead of condemning it to the dark ages.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned.

mr mittal! i am a mittal! 😛

backroom is accessible to few. cant we have it on the wiki?

---------- Post added at 01:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

or on a document on google docs!

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

and if you want

i can set up a brand new domain... which can be used to put up this information 😛

The only reason I want a backroom is so that it's not accessible to everyone... and we want numbers when it comes to signing the petition, not really drafting it. I don't want Airtel people reading it before we actually put it up formally... the impact is lost otherwise.

getting genuine people into backroom who are relatively new is a hard task... and you really cannot tell which users are genuine and which are not! 😛you can set up the document on google site feature through your google account 😛 and give access to people you trust with it?

Leave it over here. A few of us Airtel users can help modify the document. Then we can put it up on the petition sites and get loads of signatures and then send it to Mr. Mittal!

I have uploaded it on Google docs... and edited it a bit further... Will share it here as soon as I can figure out how to share it.

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

Oh crap, is there no way to share it with the general public through Google Docs?

Ok, I can't figure out how to share it, so here it is. People who want to edit something, please just quote the portion(s) you want to edit and highlight the changes you have made (make them red in colour) - it will be easy for me to update.

Dear Mr. Mittal,

This is in reference to the new “Fair Usage Policy” that is purported to be implemented by Airtel Broadband on its unlimited broadband internet plans. While your company has failed to inform its customers and has failed to give notice of this change in policy, news of this new policy has spread over the internet like wildfire, solely to your detriment. As we understand it, this policy seeks to place “Caps” on ‘unlimited’ plans after which a subscriber’s speed would be halved/reduced for the rest of the billing period.

We, the undersigned, are loyal subscribers of Airtel Broadband Services. We have come to appreciate the quality of service provided by Airtel, and this quality has not gone unnoticed. Typically, we are people who others come to for advice when it comes to computer and other technological issues. We have (till now) proudly recommended Airtel Broadband wholeheartedly to any and everyone. Some of us even work in the IT industry, and have recommended Airtel’s services to our employers. Some of us are even small to medium business owners who use Airtel Broadband at our offices. Some of us, in fact, are even shareholders in Airtel.

The undersigned feel that this policy, under the garb of “fair usage,” seeks to essentially place limits on ‘unlimited’ plans and is one that will wipe away all your goodwill in the market in one fell swoop. We feel that this is a tremendously regressive move towards internet usage in India. As it is, it’s a shameful situation that the country that is famous for its Information Technology industry has some of the slowest broadband plans in the world. To add salt to the wound, policies such as your “Fair Usage Policy” seeks to now drive the last nail into the proverbial coffin and seal India’s fate, to be technologically inferior to most other countries, including other developing nations.

Unfortunately, one badly thought out policy will shatter your most valuable marketing asset – word of mouth recommendation.

I hope you can understand that the internet is the most powerful tool in the world today, connecting multi-national businesses (such as your own) as well as supporting the freedom of speech of billions of democratically inclined people around the globe. I hope you can appreciate that the message your "Fair Usage Policy" sends out is that,"We are fine if you use the internet for e-mail and light browsing. But you dare use it for anything else." I hope you can further appreciate that the Internet today offer a plethora of services that are bandwidth heavy, but go towards increasing the power of the internet exponentially. To name a few, these are - video conferencing / telecommunication, distribution of legitimate software by companies that seek to cut down on their distribution costs by adopting the internet as the best way to connect directly with the end user, legal distribution of movies, music etc. both by independent artists who do it for free, as well as by big studios who have realized that the internet has immense potential as a marketplace. We respectfully submit, therefore, that your "Fair Usage Policy" is unfair to anyone who wishes to use the internet productively, and fair solely to your own profit margin (as it allows you to give the consumer up to 42% less download capacity than before).

We, the undersigned, therefore pledge that, should Airtel not rollback and discontinue this “Fair Usage Policy”:
1.We shall discontinue our subscription to all Airtel services.
2.We shall discontinue, with immediate effect, recommending Airtel to all friends, acquaintances, relatives, businesses etc.
3.We shall make all efforts, including the use of mainstream media, to educate Airtel subscribers and shareholders about the regressiveness of this policy.
4.We shall initiate all legal action against you in the competent courts of law, solely at your risk, costs and consequences.

You may kindly note that this petition is being presented to you in the utmost good faith, and as a sign of our loyalty to your brand (which unfortunately is fast eroding). The goodwill, which you have so painstakingly built over the years solely through excellence in service, compels us to appeal to your better senses before taking the aforesaid measures. However, being informed consumers, it is our intention to communicate that this policy is entirely and wholly unacceptable to us. Not only is it bad in law, but more importantly, it is bad in taste.

We would be grateful if you could kindly take the appropriate actions, and channel your efforts towards improving the broadband scenario in India, instead of condemning it to the dark ages.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned.

Dude, we are trying. But it's not that Sushubh and I are going to go door to door and get people to sign it. I have pretty much exhausted my options. Posted a thread on every Indian forum I am part of, plus put it as my facebook status, and send a facebook message to all my friends in India.The only thing left, which I shall do tonight, is to start a chain letter. 🙁You guys have to help spread the news!!! Please tell all your friends, family, colleagues etc.

I decided to do something that I do not do usually. I am mailing the message to EVERYONE who has EVER registered on this forum. I usually end up getting hate mail in return. But I guess, that's the chance I would have to take with this mess.