performance of asianet digital on lcd tv

• Thread starter Thread starter sajin
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 18,119

sajin

ISP
tata indicom
i'm planning to purchase LG scarlet2.0 32" full hd lcd tv.i'm using asianet's digital connection. currently i have good picture quality in my ordinary crt tv.i want to know "will i get excellent picture quality in lg full hd lcd tv".i want everyone's suggestions and experience to share with me.also i wnat to know "can asianet digital support 1920x1080 resolution." will it be good if i connect adtv to full hd lcd tv.also i wnat to know "does this lg lcd full hd tv has a reproduction unit toconvert low resolution picturers to full hd resolution?"

I recently checked out surya tv on adtv during the thrissur pooram at my uncle's house who has a 21 incher crt. I was really surprised to see the channel very pixelated whenever there was any kind of action on the screen. You can imagine how it will look on lcd, but I don't know if this is one off. You should check the quality of the cable transmission in the showroom if possible...

I have checked the channel clarity on a Samsung 26" LCD TV and here are my observations. Rosebowl, Sun TV, Star channels, NGC, History, Disney channel, VH1 etc were having very good quality, and I didnt notice any pixelation. Most other channels were having a decent quality, and not so great as above mentioned ones. Some channels, like kairali, some DD, Neo, discovery ETC etc (dont remember which others) were having poor quality and had so much pixelation that I was getting distracted. This was just before their s/w upgradation and there were working on some upgradation. I am not sure whether these issues are resolved after the latest s/w upgrade. But still i recommend to go for a full HD LCD TV, along with ADTV. Please let us know your feedback.

I have checked the channel clarity on a Samsung 26" LCD TV and here are my observations. Rosebowl, Sun TV, Star channels, NGC, History, Disney channel, VH1 etc were having very good quality, and I didnt notice any pixelation. Most other channels were having a decent quality, and not so great as above mentioned ones. Some channels, like kairali, some DD, Neo, discovery ETC etc (dont remember which others) were having poor quality and had so much pixelation that I was getting distracted. This was just before their s/w upgradation and there were working on some upgradation. I am not sure whether these issues are resolved after the latest s/w upgrade.
But still i recommend to go for a full HD LCD TV, along with ADTV. Please let us know your feedback.

----------

thanks for sharing your experience...

i'm planning to purchase LG scarlet2.0 32" full hd lcd tv.i'm using asianet's digital connection. currently i have good picture quality in my ordinary crt tv.
i want to know "will i get excellent picture quality in lg full hd lcd tv".i want everyone's suggestions and experience to share with me.also i wnat to know
"can asianet digital support 1920x1080 resolution."

will it be good if i connect adtv to full hd lcd tv.also i wnat to know "does this lg lcd full hd tv has a reproduction unit to
convert low resolution picturers to full hd resolution?"

If you are planning to go for a 32 inch LCD you don't need to have a full HD (1920 x 1080) resolution as on that screen you can not make out the difference between 1920x1080(Full HD) and 1280x768 ( HD ready)

So my recommendation is that don't spend more bucks on the Full HD unless you are going for a screen size of 40 inch or more

None of the HD Tv's in market upconvert the signals to high resolution. the output will purely depend on the quality of the source.

I think ADTV gives a pretty good resolution pictures so that it wont look bad on a 32 inch tv

If you are planning to go for a 32 inch LCD you don't need to have a full HD (1920 x 1080) resolution as on that screen you can not make out the difference between 1920x1080(Full HD) and 1280x768 ( HD ready)

So my recommendation is that don't spend more bucks on the Full HD unless you are going for a screen size of 40 inch or more

None of the HD Tv's in market upconvert the signals to high resolution. the output will purely depend on the quality of the source.

I think ADTV gives a pretty good resolution pictures so that it wont look bad on a 32 inch tv

adding some more points. i'm not an expert in this. but very much interested in these topics.

We may be able to utilize the full potential of HD TVs only when HD broadcasting will be available in India. At present none of the channels are offered in HD mode apart from 9X. That too we are getting only the digital version as both DTH and cable operators are not offering HD. heard that sun direct started their test transmission of HD and the package will be around Rs.100 per channel. so what will be the cost per month if u want to see at least 100 channels. Rs10,000 per month.

another thing is blu-ray discs and blu-ray players becoming common. now a blu-ray player costs around Rs24,000 (not available in india as a part of HT system, we have to buy the player separately) and blu-ray discs are available at a price tag of around Rs.1,000 (availability is limited to some Hollywood movies). u can also play blu-ray discs using Sony PlayStation 3.

also note that DVDs are carrying a resolution of 720×480 (NTSC) or 720×576 (PAL) compared to 1920 x 1080 offered by this TV. It will do justification for watching DVD movies to some extent. and some the DVD players got up-scaling capability that will be a good advantage. as nash rightly pointed out, HD TVs dont have that much up-scaling capability.

coming to cable transmission, it wont be as good as watching DVD movies. for this u've to ask the shop keeper to show a demo. pls note that they will normally show u the HD pictures or HD video from blu-ray discs or their PCs. they will be reluctant to play DVD movies saying that they dont have a connection or something like that. but before making a final decision ask them for a demo with DVD and cable transmission (any DTH or Asianet digital). and ask them to change channels. coz as some one said earlier all channels will not give same clarity.

i'm also a big fan of this model and intend to buy it in the near future. :thumbsup:

Dear Sajin,If you want HD on your televeision, you need to connect the STB to TV using HDMI Cables. ADTV does not have HDMI Connectivity. I am using ADTV and Samsung 40' LCD.The Clarity is not bad. that is the pictures will not have HD Clarity, but you will get better than CRT. actuually i don't know which STB you are using...Asianet has two types - one silver color and one black. among these only one of them supports 16:9 Aspect Ratio. Mine is the black one which does not support 16:9.The only problem is that the images will appear a little streached than normal. but the tv has the option to select 4:3 or 16:9. The Happy news is that Asianet has already launched HD DVR. You can Record up to 200 hrs of live tv + various other options. In that all the normal channels are upscaled to HD.But the Cost is 9,999/- for the STB (Excluding Subscription). the subscription charges are the same as of ADTV.