Pepper Spray used in Indian Parliament

shatrughan

Regular
[OP]
Regulars
Dec 10, 2007
A parliamentarian used pepper spray, triggering a coughing bout and three MPs had to be taken to hospital in unprecedented scenes in Parliament over the controversial bill to create Telangana by dividing Andhra Pradesh, which was introduced in the Lok Sabha today.
Congress MP L Rajagopal used pepper spray as two sets of MPs - for and against Telangana - rushed to the Well of the Lok Sabha. A computer was flung and broken in the clash; a mic was thrown.
Two groups of protesters also clashed outside Parliament and a heavy contingent of police arrived to remove them as the volatile political atmosphere spilled onto the streets.
There is unprecedented security in Parliament after a suicide threat by an MP.
Fire extinguishers and blankets have been kept ready in Parliament after a Congress MP allegedly threatened to set himself afire to protest against Telangana. The MP, Sabbam Hari, is one of the six that the ruling party expelled for moving a no-confidence motion against the Prime Minister.
No visitors are being allowed in the Parliament House and even those entering the press galleries are being put through rare checks. Sources say security personnel are also cautious about protesting MPs carrying any suspicious objects, though they cannot frisk them.
These MPs belong to the non-Telangana regions of Seemandhra, which are vehemently opposed to bifurcating Andhra Pradesh."This government can't bring the bill. It's a minority bill. Its own ministers are opposing it and they are depending on the Opposition to pass it," said L Rajgopal.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh met top ministers before Parliament began to discuss whether to bring the bill today, as the government anticipated trouble.
Members in blindfolds protested in the Rajya Sabha, shouted slogans and held up placards. Both houses were adjourned within minutes as Andhra Pradesh MPs, including ministers, vowed to block the Telangana bill.
There have been ugly and embarrassing clashes in Parliament since last week. "My heart bleeds to see what is happening in the House. This is bad for democracy," said the Prime Minister yesterday, after two MPs nearly attacked each other before other lawmakers intervened.

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
This is probably a new low.Rajagopal claims he used pepper spray ‘in self-defence’ — www.thehindu.com
Under fire for his pepper spray attack in Lok Sabha during introduction of Telangana bill, Seemandhra MP L. Rajagopal on Thursday defended his actions, saying he did it in self defence.Mr. Rajagopal, who was suspended from the Lok Sabha by Speaker Meira Kumar, also demanded similar action against Congress MPs alleging they had “pounced” on him and TDP member Venugopal Reddy.“I went to rescue TDP MP M. Venugopala Reddy who was targeted by Congress MPs while protesting in the Well of the House. I immediately rushed from the other side to protect him. They started attacking me. So immediately as a self defence, I used the pepper spray,” Mr. Rajagopal told reporters outside Parliament House.
Our MPs carry pepper sprays!

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
hmm. i know that it is painful to post links to third party sites coz i have an undeclared list of sites that i don't like and allowing linking from here. but general news sites are generally ok. so please... quote the source!

Reactions: 1 person

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
Assuming L. Rajagopal is a male MP. I wonder why a male MP has to carry around a pepper spray at all. They do not get enough protection from the SPG etc?

dextermorgan

Regulars
May 12, 2014
Hyderabad
He's one of the richest MPs in India. Huge liquor baron and also has stake in Lanco group. He practically has an entire security company following him whenever he moves out of his house ..so claiming pepper spray for self defense is idiotic.
probably around 30 guards follow him apart from offical govt police protection ..go figure.

Reactions: 3 people

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
And I am guessing no one checks them while they enter the parliament for weapons of mass irritations :D You cannot carry a bottle of water to an airplane. Our MPs can carry pepper spray in Parliament!

dextermorgan

Regulars
May 12, 2014
Hyderabad
^ That is given in the first post of this thread itself.
No visitors are being allowed in the Parliament House and even those entering the press galleries are being put through rare checks. Sources say security personnel are also cautious about protesting MPs carrying any suspicious objects, though they cannot frisk them.
How dare they frisk our beloved MLAs/MPs !!? /s

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
I guess it's time that they get frisked every time they enter the parliament.You are molested when you enter a movie theater. Our MPs are not even checked for weapons when they enter the parliament.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sushubh Deals 2
IBF Movies 0
IBF Movies 5
Sushubh Deals 0
Sushubh Etcetera 2