PCLinuxOS 2007 Final Released!

Yeah I get that too, but it boots fine 🙂 . Just press enter after that.You don't get those boot options, though.

ha yaar. Of course I copied it. livecd.sqfs and boot directly on the usb. contents of isolinux directly on the usb. rename isolinux.cfg to sys...did the syslinux.exe part as well..But still no luck

Finally installed PCLinuxOS yesterday. Was much easier than i'd expected and installed in under 5 mins off the live cd. Had some trouble with the Nvidia beta driver acting gay. Downgraded to cuda 97.xx and all's well. Will take some time getting used to though. Was gonna install Ubuntu initally but Apoorv managed to sell PCLinuxOS to me with his picturesque review. 😛A couple of things though: a) When i try to get new wallpapers, it downloads blank files half the time n marks the wallpaper as installed. Couldn't find a way to reset it so i could try n re-install.b) Couldn't find a notepad equivalent. Maybe cuz i was frickin tired....could someone point me to it. 😛 Might i add, Open Office is a turn off compared to Office 2007.

a) It does not download blank files, some of the wallpapers are in .tar.gz archives, or Gzipped archives, you have to go to the folder "/home/username/.kde/share/wallpapers/" and manually unzip those files to get the wallpapers. Some of the wallpapers are in a non-supported format (which is disappointing), so you have to convert then to a supported format (you can use GIMP for that).b) There are many simple text editors, i.e. Kate, KWrtie, VI etc. By default VI and Kwrite are installed. You can find them in More Applications >> Editors. Or you can always use Alt+F2 and then type in the name of the application.Everybody who has used Open Office would agree that it is no match as compared to MSOffice. I personally prefer KOffice over Open Office, but it doesn't give me compatibility with M$ formats.

i also installed pclinux and beryl...
i m liking all the eye candy

screenie...
http://img359.imageshack.us/my.php?image=snapshot1jy0.png

i have two questions..
1- can i have a bar on the top of the screen with all the shortcuts?(the programs shd still minimize to taskbar at the bottom)

2-the volume of audio from linux is lower than windows .. what can i do to correct it?

one more actually...
how do i make the hard disks mount automatically on startup (otherwise amarok can't access my music library)

Congrats! Welcome to the amazing world of PCLinuxOS.

1) Yes, you can have one. Just right click on you main panel >> Add New Panel >> Panel. You can reposition it by right clicking it, and then "Configure Panel". If you want a dock, I suggest you install "KSmoothDock" from Synaptic instead. It's much smoother and suited for docking purposes. Look at my desktop.

2) That's quite odd. Open 'KMixer' (it's the small speaker icon in you system tray). Check that all the volume levels are correct. If you are using amaroK, then check if volume level is lowered from there. I haven't heard of anything similar before.

3) To make hard-disks mount automatically on start-up, open synaptic and install ntfs-3g and ntfs-config. After you have done that, open your menu >> System >> Configuration >> Hardware >> NTFS Configuration tools. Check both the boxes. From now on your ntfs partitons wil be mounted automatically on start-up, and you will be able to write to ntfs partitions too. Though, for ntfs-3g to work properly, it is essential that you shutdown your PC (while using Windows) properly. I had a habit of switching off the UPS directly 😛 .

thanks apoorv for ur help1 - i got that panel after i posted here... i will install KSmoothDock too2 - yah the volume is maxed out everywhere but still seems lower than windows ... but i can live with it3 - is there another way to just have the hard disks mount on boot ... (rather not have the capability to write ntfs... i have a fat partition already)

[COMPLETELY OT]@Apoorv- can you please give me a link to your wallpaper?? 😀(sorry for the offtopic reply guys but that wallpaper is just too damn cool 😛)[/COMPLETELY OT]

3 - is there another way to just have the hard disks mount on boot ... (rather not have the capability to write ntfs... i have a fat partition already)

1. Find out "device names" of the NTFS partitions you need to pount. Names would be like:

/dev/hda2 or /dev/hdb3 [Basically /dev/hdXN] you will have to find out device names for NTFS partitions.

I don't have Ubuntu, but there must be some partition utility there you could look up device name of partiotions.

2. Create folders in /mnt, One of each NTFS partitions. For example you can create folders like c,d,e for C: D: E: NTFS drives.

3. Add following entries to /etc/fstab file:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/c ntfs auto,ro
/dev/hdb1 /mnt/d ntfs auto,ro
/dev/hda2 /mnt/e ntfs auto,ro

Now Linux will load these partitions at startup.