PCLinuxOS 2007 Final Released!

Beryl worked fine on my desktop. I have a 4 year old Geforce 4 64 meg card. But the default settings on my machine were not very friendly... got irritated and got it removed. 😀

Now for the question - Anybody here using PCLinuxOS?? Anybody who started using it after my post?

i'm thinking abt it.. not sure... i've used ubuntu and kinda learned a few things so its easier for me.. but.. now.. dunno if i have the time to learn stuff all over again..

^^ That's the difference. Believe me, I have been using it since 4-5 days now, I have configured each and every thing, and not even once, NOT ONCE, have I reached out for the terminal. Eveything is so goddamned easy. All packages are available in Synaptic. The Control Center is way too exhaustive, everything you would want to possibly configure, is there in the Control Center. Changing themes and window decorations styles etc. is also just a click away. Beryl is preinstalled, all you have to do is install your latest drivers (ATI or nVidia) from Synaptic, go to the Control Center, and check an option that says "Enable 3D Desktop Effects".Look at my first screenshot on this page.

@offtopic Cool beryl effects. What on board graphic card do you have ? I am thinking of getting a nvidia 6200 le. The card is cheap and known to work with beryl. Does anyone have anything negative to say about this card ?

I have the ATI Radeon Xpress 200 onboard card. For the nvidia card, dude please could you start a new thread?? You're hijacking a thread that is very close to me 😀.

I downloaded this new PCLinuxOS after reading your posts. I had earlier tried the 0.93 bigdaddy version of PCLos. It was really good, but some how it lacked the solid feeling that fedora gives. Anyways my main distro has always been Fedora , and I have a partition to try out new distros. I ran the Live Cd and this definitely feels much better than o.93 release. Looks like PCLOS can become my main OS now!!

Dude Apoorv, where did you get the instructions to build the live usb. I am not having any luck with it. I keep getting grub error 15.

The Beryl/KDE eye candy all look good, but something worth considering is their release cycle and the duration for which a particular release is supported(i.e. updates, patches etc are made available). A quick look on their website doesn't reveal any answeres.The other thing I would be concerned is what packaging system they use and how(geographically) widespread their mirrors and repos are. For my FC 6 updates, I heavily repy on the IIT Madras FTP for core and extras; this speeds up my downloads.As for Beryl on nVidia; I havent had much luck running mplayer/vlc full screen with my on board GeForce 6150. It might be worth checking this for 6200 on the nvidia forums.

@dips0502

How can you get a GRUB error when GRUB is not loaded at all? Is the error a boot error or after installation error?

Install, boot and run PCLinuxOS from a USB memory stick | Pen Drive Linux

The tutorial was originally here, but now they have removed it, so I didn't mention the source.

I did the installation myself exactly as I have mentioned over there. Remember, you do not have to copy the contents of the folder 'boot' to your drive, you have to copy the whole folder itself. Do not place them in any sub directory. It is only for the isolinux folder that you have to copy the contents of the folder directly to your drive.