pc won't start during cold (no POST , BIOS)

• Thread starter Thread starter Smh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 39
  • Views Views 17,351

Smh

ISP
Wired local-AirtelFiber
so this weird problem started couple of weeks ago as soon as weather changed. This same problem used to happen with my old pc too and now this is happening with my new pc (1.5 year old). There are lots of posts on internet about this problem but no one is able to find the root cause of this problem and fix it. Co-incidentally my friend called me today to tell about this same issue happening with his computer.

Problem: When I turn on my pc, cpu and case fan would start along with led light on my motherboard but there is no POST, keyboard, mouse and monitor shows no signal. Once pc starts it keeps running without any problem but once I shut down or restart pc won't boot again.

During day after first start pc would start again only after couple of hours but if I do shutdown at night, next morning it will start randomly after a lot of on and off using power button.

I took motherboard , processor and ram to a technician and everything just started working fine randomly. I couldn't believe it and assembled my pc to test it myself and suprisingly the booting problem was fixed and everthing worked fine for a week now its happening again.

seems like some setting of motherboard is interfering the boot process. go to bios and set everything to default or try to see if there's any bios update on motherboard company page

Try some basics like driver update all including mobo, win updates.

Could be problem with your PC on/off switch and circuit too. Some moisture catching patch maybe if climate too humid ?

Contact your mobo and psu manufacturer and see if they have any solution to it.

Reactions: Smh
remove the mobo from the cabinet, use a news paper or a thick dry sheet to seperate the thin gap between mobo and cabinet (stick it on the inside of the cabinet where the mobo touches the cabinet). Install the mobo, your problem should be solved

remove the mobo from the cabinet, use a news paper or a thick dry sheet to seperate the thin gap between mobo and cabinet (stick it on the inside of the cabinet where the mobo touches the cabinet). Install the mobo, your problem should be solved
whats your reasoning?

so mobo would be less cold ?

This happens to me randomly at times and my solution was to clean the RAMs and their slots. [Optionally I generally remove and insert the motherboard battery again before booting up]

my psu is under warranty so I can get it replaced/fixed if I am sure its the psu which is causing problem. But the thing is I am not able to replicate the issue when I take my pc to repair shop which makes me look like a fool.

And once pc turns on there is no problem with power and I can play games, do rendering, stress cpu, gpu without any hiccups so if there is was any problem with psu, something should have happened during heavy usage.

==========================

I have already done basic stuff - cmos reset, bios update, remove ram, gpu and clean all dust.

In winter weather is dry and cold so humidity should not be a factor

@DNA_Uncut Please tell how adding paper between mobo and cabinet would help ?

I am thinking to change the thermal paste of processor, may be its some pin which expanded during summer or something like that