Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel

Source

idiocy all around.

so from my understanding, if you are running a rooted device, Paytm asks for root access.
paytm developer seems to indicate that it is alright because they are not doing anything wrong with it as they are a trustworthy entity.
he sees nothing wrong in asking for root rights on such devices.

no, its like every app can check if device is rooted or not without asking for permission. but Paytm took the lazy way and asks for permission(by issuing su command) to check if the device is actually rooted or not. Now this is dangerous because if the user grants access to root, then it can do many many things which we all know. paytm says this is not a issue because they're "ethical" company and as this idiot put it so eloquently " its not what a permission could do, its what an app does with it"

if paytm asks for root and user grants it, hackers can effectively take control of the phone without user suspecting that even something is wrong with their paytm app or whole phone. keyloggers can be install, paytm app can be modified to send money, card details whatnot

I dont know shit about programming and even I understand the importance of root access. If this idiot who calls himself android developer can't see whats wrong with asking root access, them paytm is fucked
he reasons every app asks for sms permission so there' nothing wrong with root permission *fucking facepalm*

afaik, Paytm never asks for root access, it just checks if the device is rooted or not and if rooted it just warns the user that he is liable for any misuse. Which is common in any upi based app

What happens if you deny?

Been using Paytm on rooted device for the last few yrs. No issues faced. Even bhim app pop out such a warning everytime I use it

this permission requirement seems to be new as the complaints only started popping up after a recent update.

I deleted root from all devices once all the features I ever wanted were available by default.

use magisk to hide root. works with bank apps too which check for root.

Btw if an app asks for root ,a hacker can use only that app as a medium to hack,nonetheless makes no sense for Paytm to ask for root access.
Programmatically,they are invoking and not checking..if a window pops up..

use magisk to hide root. works with bank apps too which check for root.
Except SBI's UPI app, which refuses to work with a rooted device. Tried Magisk hide, still nothing.

ICICI, IndusInd, SBI Anywhere & BHIM work after hiding root access in my experience.