• Thread starter Thread starter bsnluser
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 2,328

bsnluser

Regular
ISP
UL900
Hello,I visit India from time to time. I am interested in obtaining and keeping a cell phone in India such that:1. I can use it when I am there and just store it away when I am not.2. It should have a permanent number.3. I am thinking of a prepaid option such that I can clear all the bills while I am there and thus keep it 'clean and tidy', while at the same time being able to use it in future visits.4. I am also interested in internet connection option using the phone(GPRS?), but only occasionally (usually I have a broadband connection available).Can somebody give me pointers or advice based on your experience regarding this?And also, which handset should I buy in India (no frills needed, should be reasonably cheap).Thanks and regards in advance.

You need a 'lifetime' pack. You can go with any of the basic handsets given by Airtel or Vodafone.

You need a 'lifetime' pack. You can go with any of the basic handsets given by Airtel or Vodafone.

Do these provide phones that are locked to their own networks or can this 'lifetime' package be used on any phone?

Also, any have any idea how much the following can cost in Delhi?
Nokia E51
Nokia E6
Nokia E65
Nokia E70
Nokia N80
Nokia N81

Thanks.

you can go through stores on popular indian sites like rediff, indiatimes. but you can never be sure about the updated retail pricing of these handsets.

Do these provide phones that are locked to their own networks or can this 'lifetime' package be used on any phone?

Also, any have any idea how much the following can cost in Delhi?
Nokia E51
Nokia E6
Nokia E65
Nokia E70
Nokia N80
Nokia N81

Thanks.

India is mostly GSM. No tie up with the operator. As for the prices of the higher end models, haggling is the best way to get a good deal. Most of the phones you mentioned are on the higher side of 15K