Patent infringement battle between Samsung and Apple

• Thread starter Thread starter mhsabir
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 184
  • Views Views 14,842
I didn't go through all of it, but whatever I did go through does seem to suggest that Samsung was heavily inspired by the iPhone. This document looks like a trump card, but could still mean Samsung gets away with a much smaller penalty. Just like in the Google vs Oracle case the judge was biased towards Google, in this case the judge has been seen to be biased towards Apple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFeC25BM9E0&feature=youtu.be

lol. But I feel the newer BB10 Os will will be more like the Palm Pre OS. The Playbook OS has similarities with the Touchpad as well.

Speaking of Blackberry, they had this ad today which made me LOL.

Note the typo. Too bad for a front page ad.

I didn't go through all of it, but whatever I did go through does seem to suggest that Samsung was heavily inspired by the iPhone. This document looks like a trump card, but could still mean Samsung gets away with a much smaller penalty. Just like in the Google vs Oracle case the judge was biased towards Google, in this case the judge has been seen to be biased towards Apple

Well, here the jury is to decide. The judge will only guide & direct them, if I understand correctly.

Also, the document does indicate that they used iphone to see where they need to improve. But, a couple of points to also note before judging on this one are were they all related to "copy it as much as possible" ? Or, see the competition and compare and then see if we can improve our product (Not copy)..

I went through a lot of these slides, and in a quick glance, I was able to categorize into 4 different points

a) Some slides say - iphone's A screen looks good, whereas our equivalent looks cramped. We can also space better.
b) Basic functionality - copy/paste is not there, bring it
c) Fun factors - End slides. They dont say copy iphone style. It says iphone has some good animations, we can also increase the fun fatcor
d) Some iphone functionality - Like no.of open browsers etc

On going through, I would say the 4th point is justifiable, if Samsung copied it (Samsung S2, S3 owners can say). As for the other 3, I am sure its pretty norm for a product manufacturer to study its competition & see where their own product can improved? And things like Copy/Paste are expected to be there - surely no one can expect a basic functionality to be kept outside.

Apple also offered to give Samsung a 20 percent discount if the Korean company cross-license its portfolio back to Apple. Apple also sought royalties on Samsung’s non-Android smartphones, including those running the Symbian and Bada operating systems.
"Offcouse!! why? Because why not!?" is Apple's motto

Time for fanbois to come out and take the moral high ground as the guardians of innovation!

Go ahead then. Who's stopping you?

just an opinion... google vs. oracle lawsuit was decided by the jury. most in jury would be google users. most would love google for their products and services. few of them would have ever used an oracle product directly. google won. samsung vs. Apple lawsuit was decided by an american jury. we all know that majority of american public love apple. apple is also an american company. i am not saying samsung does not copy apple designs or anything like that. but a jury was more than likely to support an american company they love. the lawsuit was somewhat comparable to an indian jury deciding on a lawsuit featuring sachin tendulkar. 🙂i am not sure why this particular lawsuit involved a jury. a judge might have been a better choice. in any case, samsung was to be punished for what they have been doing for years now. not for shit like software technologies that apple has managed to patent but have prior examples of existence. but sure a spanking for launching copycat products. in any case, apple has hurt samsung enough to ensure that their newer generation products are no longer copies of apple designs. and as a result most of them look and feel shitty (Galaxy Note 10.1 is a good example).