Pando ...... New Way Of File Sharing.

• Thread starter Thread starter pranKster
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 3,962
ISP
Tata Indicom quick Power 360 + 9 to 9 for 299 @ 2 MBPS !
Hi Guys,
I have found a new Program that allows us to send large files to any one.... all that is required is a valid email ID. This software is under beta tesing phase.. and it is getting popular like wild fire. Its beeing adjudged as one of the great innovations of this year.

Rest details you can get from
Code:
http://www.pando.com/

Its not like Kaaza or Morphius. Nor its like Torrents. It has been toned down to be used between friends and not as distribution medium to public at large.

Currently I am beta testing it with couple of large (movie) files.... he heee ...

Try it. And comment about it ........ share your experiance ...

Bye.

I don't think it will catchup.

people find innovative uses of such applications. it might not become a fad but it could potentially help a lot of people for a variety of reasons.

As of now, the distribution through this is strictly on one to one basis. The Pando servers keep files for 14 days after the initial upload. The speeds are supposed to be gr8. What I have found out is that Pando is the distant cousin of Torrent technology, and using this has lesser hassels from Anti piracy groups. its really just like u giving ur DVD to a friend. People have started using it to download movies. One of the ways they follow is that they upload the movie to the Pando server and server sends then a pando file that has all links. They then put this file (~10KB) to link-removed/upfile or other hosts for rest of the guys to download it. The Other guys use this file to start download from Pando servers at high rate. (~300KB/s to 700KB/s) depending on the speed they got. Good thing that I find is that here there is no funda of upload / download ratio ...as in case of Torrents. Another good thing is that it can be used any where even inside the corporate networks for huge file transfers.Currently, as I have said that I am doing Beta testing for them, I have download limit of 1 GB per file.I get speeds ranging from 50KB/s to 17KB/s.I hope to get to unlimited 900 connection soon to start bigger downloading... he heee heee 😉 pranKster.

How is this any different from normal file hosts like link-removed, Oxyshare, upfile etc ? They don't require the downloading of a client like pando does, and host files for more than 14 days.

it is a replacement for sending file attachment to friends. it is basically for one-one file sharing rather than providing a file to download for hundreds of online users.sometimes you just need to share files with your friends and email services are not the best way to do that.

The way I look at it, if they have a custom file-uploader which can be resumed (after disconnections) . It seems to sorta distant cousin of torrents but if they could potentially have some kind of CRC check after every few MB something which is done in torrent then it would be killer app.

QUOTE(Dukes Mangola @ Aug 23 2006, 01:29 AM) [snapback]59535[/snapback]
How is this any different from normal file hosts like link-removed, Oxyshare, upfile etc ? They don't require the downloading of a client like pando does, and host files for more than 14 days.
[/b]
My thoughts exactly.

AFA oxyshare is concerned, it has a catalog http://www.oxyshare.com/catalog/ where u can tag it. Now once u tag it it becomes public. Also both link-removed & oxyshare have limits. link-removed has 300 MB while oxyshare has 700 MB per file. One can use a file splitter or something but u're still using the normal way to upload. Which means if the connection is disconnected u've to re-upload. There are clients for doing something similar in link-removed but these are un-official.
Pando on the other hand is built on the premise tht people want to do one-to-one sharing. The closest it comes to is an encrypted trackerless torrent client. The issue with torrent is they also need to be published on the . torrent while with pando u're just talking with the pando server & u'r friend. Companies & individuals would benefit greatly with a tool like this.

I agree with you all on the issue that pando is like ...... distant cousin of torrents. Yes it is. Torrent technology is running in the background of pando system. I also agree with you all that its like one - one file distributing system. I add here that when a uploader uploads file to pano server it usually stays there for 14 days. during this timehe can give the .pando file to any number of users, who will use pano system to download it from pando servers. And that kicks ass..... the download speeds are gr8. if we consider torrents if there is less number of pears / seeders available less will be download speed. here its not that case. Uploader has to upload it just once. The BAD part is that the file lasts for 14 days only, after that uploader has to upload it again if file is still in demand. or if needed it can be forwarded to another user like a email. 🙂its mass appeal has yet to catch. 🙂pranKster.

QUOTE(jivan @ Aug 23 2006, 08:22 PM) [snapback]59680[/snapback]
AFA oxyshare is concerned, it has a catalog http://www.oxyshare.com/catalog/ where u can tag it. Now once u tag it it becomes public. Also both link-removed & oxyshare have limits. link-removed has 300 MB while oxyshare has 700 MB per file. One can use a file splitter or something but u're still using the normal way to upload. Which means if the connection is disconnected u've to re-upload. There are clients for doing something similar in link-removed but these are un-official.
Pando on the other hand is built on the premise tht people want to do one-to-one sharing. The closest it comes to is an encrypted trackerless torrent client. The issue with torrent is they also need to be published on the . torrent while with pando u're just talking with the pando server & u'r friend. Companies & individuals would benefit greatly with a tool like this.
[/b]
You mean uploads are resumable on Pando?

You mean uploads are resumable on Pando?

yup. and the downloader can start downloading as soon as the sender makes the file available.

it is downloaded from both the sender's machine (like torrent) and the pando server (like ftp!).

Hi everybody - especially prankster - i stumbled on pando too - i had sent a 545 mb file to a friend in the US - but how would he receive it - he says there is an error which says - pando says it is waiting for sender - how do i deal with this? Any help would be welcome.