`Our sports channels are not niche, they have mass appeal`

• Thread starter Thread starter icar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 29
  • Views Views 4,924
I found the same news in indian express too in yahoo website:
Channels off air, ESPN to take Tata Sky to court
http://in.news.yahoo.com/most_viewed/in/n/nl//indianexpress/20080606/r_t_ie_nl_general/tnl-channels-off-air-espn-to-take-tata-s-aaaedd4 Fri, Jun 6 02:44 AM
ESPN Software India on Thursday said it would drag direct-to-home service provider Tata Sky to court for switching off its sports channels ESPN, Star Sports and Star Cricket from its most popular bouquet of 110-channel Super Saver pack, for a subscription fee of Rs 300 per month. Tata Sky was ready to fight the broadcaster in the court, a spokesperson said.

Channels off air, ESPN to take Tata Sky to court - Yahoo! India News

So guys we have got print media and web attention on our problems and i hope very soon TV Media also highlights on the same issue 😀. This time i am sure TS will definetly feel the pinch:thumb:bloddy buckers :cool2:

Yep! It's awesome how this news is now spreading. Tata Sky's in trouble now! =D

In todays Economic Times also this news is published.....
ESPN threatens to take Tata Sky to court
6 Jun, 2008, 0027 hrs IST, TNN

NEW DELHI: After a tiff with its DTH rival Dish TV over its new pricing strategy, Tata Sky is now headed for a legal battle with ESPN Star Sports. The sports broadcaster has accused Tata Sky of blocking its signals on its platform and has threatened to take a legal recourse against the DTH operator.

“It is extremely unfair on a DTH player to solve a commercial dispute by blocking our signals on its platform. We have very important sports series like [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Euro [COLOR=blue! important]2008[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] and French Open going on and the two million Tata Sky subscribers can’t get our signals,” ESPN India MD R C Venkatiesh said. He said ESPN Star plans to move to TDSAT and is also looking at taking the DTH player to the Delhi HC. Euro 2008 will kick off on Saturday.

ESPN threatens to take Tata Sky to court- Media-Media / Entertainment -News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

I would love to attend the court session and support ess on their behalf!!I love ess for this!!require more media attention, guys please mail to the id's 😉we need more support, get ur friends to do it too, balti got only 13 supporters what about the rest, copy paste teh content, change something and then paste mail id's in one stretch, send!Not more than 5 mins of ur time!This is our last chance 😡Check out the old post on the thread for espn mail id's..support them, this is our last chance.. :thumbsup:

TS surely bit off more than it could chew. If it had simply moved the sports channels to a separate add-on pack and reduced the prices of the base packs proportionately, ESPN would not have had a case. But after getting a stay on the ESPN plan to make all TS users pay for ESPN etc, whether they wanted it or not, TS decided to stuff its pockets. And that led to its downfall.ESPN is not innocent - it was and still is resorting to arm twisting tactics. Only problem is TS is more guilty.--------------------------------OT. Duplicate post prevention plugin not working?

My energy is sucked out. iam tired of complaining. how long should i be telling my pbms to customer care. kunal janu i admire your energy. i wish i was like you,:ashamed::ashamed::ashamed:i will complaint 1 or 2 times. may be max 5 times. but if i dont get response i'll leave. iam this knd of person. i admire those who like kunal jabu r fighting against Tata Sky. give me hope guyz iam hopelesssssss:ashamed::S:S:S

Tata Sky to restore ESPN feed
High Court that it would restore ESPN’s sports channels on its basic service package within 12 days.

The response from the direct-to-home (DTH) television service provider, which had removed three ESPN channels, came after “the court expressed its intention to issue a notice of contempt and pass an order to restore the (earlier) position,” said Nanju Ganpathy, Counsel for ESPN Software India Pvt Ltd.

The channels were removed from the basic package with effect from June 1 and Tata Sky was asking consumers to pay separately for the ESPN offering.

While doing so, Tata Sky, however, had reduced the rate of its basic package as part of an ongoing price war with rival Dish TV.

“We are extremely delighted at this latest development. This will ensure that millions of sports fans will be able to enjoy quality sporting action including UEFA Euro 2008 and the oncoming Asia Cup 2008,” said RC Venkateish, Managing Director, ESPN Software India Pvt Ltd.

Although it sounds like a good news for Tata Sky viewers, who would have been waiting for the Euro Cup that starts tomorrow, the details of when the DTH provider will restore ESPN channels on its base pack are unclear. Repeated telephone calls to Tata Sky officials went unanswered.
Tata Sky to restore ESPN feed- Hindustan Times

Here is an interesting thought - Tata Sky is an 80:20 joint venture between the Tata Group and STAR .Star Sports/Cricket are also from Star group So they are fighthing with themselves??????????? Is the Tata Sky's Star group different from ESPN-Star's Star groupAm I wrong or missing something

Moving the Sports channels to add on pack is the right thing to do. TS did not reduce the base packages proportionately. With the add on sports pack, we can subscribe to them only when there is any active sports series. This will actually benefit the customers. When these channels are in the base pack, ESS gets a continuous revenew irrespective of any active series. This move by TS has drastically affected ESS. They are also not sane as many of the forum members think. The total cost of the new add on packs (sports, bbc, etc) must be reduced in the base pack from Jul 1.-Ravi

Boss Cricket Runs 365 days and now in india its not at all about cricket. Apart from cricket people watch EPL, Spanish Premiere League, other football events, Tennis, Formula1, Moto GP. These things run all across the year for me i cant drop these sports channels atleast for a month........ What you are saying is neglible amount of public and what you are saying is apllicable for rural people but in cities most of the people watch sports channels in the week ends.........:cool2::cool2:

The total cost of the new add on packs (sports, bbc, etc) must be reduced in the base pack from Jul 1.:O
Is Tata Sky Listening?? 😡

At this point of time they will not be in a position to listen as they all will be confused and they need some time to over come this situation😀. ESPN bowled good bouncer, googly and many more things to TS:O

Boss Cricket Runs 365 days and now in india its not at all about cricket. Apart from cricket people watch EPL, Spanish Premiere League, other football events, Tennis, Formula1, Moto GP. These things run all across the year for me i cant drop these sports channels atleast for a month........

What you are saying is neglible amount of public and what you are saying is apllicable for rural people but in cities most of the people watch sports channels in the week ends.........:cool2::cool2:

If the sports channels are in a separate bundle, it does not prevent any one from subscribing it for the whole year. I don't see any disadvantage if these channels are put in a separate pack as long as the total amount is not exceeding. If it is going to benefit a minority, so be it. Most of us were cribbing earlier, that channels should be grouped on genre/region/language basis and I am sure thats the way to go about. We all must be worried because the total cost has increased and not because there are more add-on packs.

-Ravi

If the sports channels are in a separate bundle, it does not prevent any one from subscribing it for the whole year. I don't see any disadvantage if these channels are put in a separate pack as long as the total amount is not exceeding. If it is going to benefit a minority, so be it. Most of us were cribbing earlier, that channels should be grouped on genre/region/language basis and I am sure thats the way to go about. We all must be worried because the total cost has increased and not because there are more add-on packs.

-Ravi
Rightly said! Even if 1% people of 2 Million wish to opt out of Sports Package, it was their "right" to get it so. Because of 99% others they are forced to pay for channels they never watch. Channels SHOULD be packaged according to genre so interested ones can subscribe. It was not packages, but the "more base price" that had HURT us. If base price was reduced significantly no one would have complained & subscribed seperately to Sports package as did with "NEO" Package.
I watch all Sports channels!

I agree with you guys and even i go with you but the problem with TS is that they are marginally reducing the packs as against the channels which they put across the add on packs. I dont have any porblem in charging Rs. 40 or 50 for ESS and others channels but once they remove those channels they should equally reduce the base packs which TS is not doing it where in a customer ends up in landing paying more than the existing ones........:rofl: