`Our sports channels are not niche, they have mass appeal`

• Thread starter Thread starter icar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 29
  • Views Views 4,925
ISP
VPN
With its three sports channels — ESPN, Star Sports and Star Cricket — getting dropped from the basic bouquet of direct-to-home (DTH) operator Tata Sky, ESPN India is exploring legal options against the DTH operator. ESPN has also shot off letters to the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting and the broadcast regulator Trai as over 2 million Tata Sky subscribers are not able to watch the three sports channels. Currently, Tata Sky and ESPN Software India are engaged in a legal battle and the issue is before TDSAT as well as in the Delhi High Court.
R C VENKATEISH, managing director, ESPN Software India, talks to ASHISH SINHA on the ESPN-Tata Sky spat. Excerpts: Why are your three sports channels not available to about two million Tata Sky subscribers?
They were certainly available till May 31. From June 1, Tata Sky dropped our premium sports channels from the basic bouquet thereby depriving millions of sports lovers access to our sports channels. We have advertised across the country in the print media clarifying that it is because of Tata Sky's new packages that our channels are not available to the viewers.
Because of Tata Sky's actions, we have had to clarify. At one go, Tata Sky has removed all our sports channels under the guise of providing ‘choice' to the consumers whereas the fact is that consumers will now have to pay more to watch the same content than what they paid till May end.
How do you plan to bring back the channels to the basic bouquet of Tata Sky?
We are seeking the necessary legal remedies. There are just grounds of taking Tata Sky to court but I cannot share the details at this juncture. We have also written letters to the I&B ministry and to the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai).
But what pains us is to see millions of sports lovers (who are also the consumers of Tata Sky) not being able to watch quality tennis and soccer matches currently being shown on our channels.
Trai advises that for DTH all pay channels must reduce their rates to 50 per cent of the non-CAS cable rates. You have not followed the advisory.
Sports channels require huge investments because the telecast rights to important sporting events do not come cheap. We have tried to explain our position to the regulator and shall continue to do so.
For the new DTH operators, we have, in fact, agreed to price our channels at 40 per cent of the non-CAS cable rates if they can assure 0-2.5 million subscribers within the first year of their commercial launch.
If they achieve more than 2.5 million subscribers in the first year, we will offer 50 per cent of the non-CAS cable rates based on volume discounts. These are commercial terms and conditions that work on mutual negotiations.
We have got the right to do business and that can only be done when the market forces come into play and there are minimal regulations. That's the way it is across the world. Sports channels are expensive to produce and operate and that is the point we are trying to emphasise.
Tata Sky has said that this move will provide a much wider choice to its consumers. Isn't it within its rights to make packages for its consumers?
Our quality sports channels are present in the basic bouquet of Dish TV too like they were on Tata Sky till recently. The new DTH players (Big TV and Bharti) may also include these in their offerings to their subscribers.
The point is that our sports channels have a mass appeal and they are not ‘niche' or ‘special interest' channels as is being depicted. Instead of blacking out our channels at one go, Tata Sky should have asked its subscribers for their feedback before shifting them out of the basic to an add-on bouquet.
Tata Sky's statement on the matter:
When contacted, VIKRAM KAUSHIK, Tata Sky MD and chief executive, shared a press-statement which said that according to the Delhi High Court, ESPN cannot disconnect or disrupt the signals provided to Tata Sky.
Excerpts: \"The commercial terms between the parties would finally be decided by the TDSAT and there is no stay against Tata Sky offering any revised base packs to the consumers and no stay against offering of ESPN channels in a separate package to the consumers, which is supported by the Trai regulations. We have offered to pay ESPN for every single subscriber who chooses to opt for their channels. Our market research studies have confirmed that consumers want lower subscription prices. This can only be achieved by giving the average consumer the right to choose their programs/packages... Almost all broadcasters other than ESPN have accepted the Trai guidelines that recommend that content prices should be made available to DTH platforms on a-la-carte basis to give subscribers more flexibility. Tata Sky is simultaneously taking up with Trai to take sternest possible action against ESPN for their patent violation of the regulations. Tata Sky is evaluating all legal options, including prosecuting the ESPN functionaries for the patently false and misleading advertisements carried by them in the newspapers today.\"

`Our sports channels are not niche, they have mass appeal`

Our market research studies have confirmed that consumers want lower subscription prices. This can only be achieved by giving the average consumer the right to choose their programs/packages...

right... but the subscription price should have been reduced by the same amount of the price for espn star & bbc channels...

our market research studies have confirmed that consumers want lower subscription prices. This can only be achieved by giving the average consumer the right to choose their programs/packages...
Yeah right, what a bunch of BS. Why didn't they split the packages and keep the total cost same.

Yeah right, what a bunch of BS. Why didn't they split the packages and keep the total cost same.
Guys lets do one thing, If all of us agree our questions will be answered.
As we all know all our mails and telephone calls receive template replies, No answer to the question of reducing the base pack prices to the same amount as the add on prices.

Lets write in the comments section of the business standard's article, If the editor happens to read, may be they can ask the question to Vikram kaushik. Then he will have to answer this to the Media.

Now that Espn star has gone public, with this, we are thankful to them as there is now media attention on Tata Sky packaging :yahoo:

If we flood the article with our questions, some of them may be answered. Please post the came replies in articles on other newspaper's also. :thumb: Once done, post the same here, confirming, u r fighting!

There are just grounds of taking Tata Sky to court but I cannot share the details at this juncture. We have also written letters to the I&B ministry and to the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai).
Thanks to Espn Star, Now TataSky will be looked into by TDSAT, Trai and I&B ministry, TRAI atleast wake up now 🙂

Guys I have sent the following mail to the following Media mail id's

goergo.in -> contactus
editor@deccanmail.com
toieditorial@timesgroup.com
blfeedback@thehindu.co.in
letters@business-standard.com,
feedback@business-standard.com
editor@ibnlive.com
pehredar@moneycontrol.com
info@timesnow.tv
ndtv.com -> feedback section

Edit:

New Id's:
abatra@exchange4media.com,
aagnihotri@exchange4media.com,
nahuja@exchange4media.com,
kalyankar@exchange4media.com

Edit 2:
Even more mail id's
info@espnstar.com,
vermah@espnstar.com,
samirk@espnstar.co.in,
sameerb@espnstar.co.in

If u guys can do the same, we could attract media attention :thumbsup:
Regarding the article on ESPN Tata Sky Conflict:
Sir,
ESPN has done the right thing by issuing a public notice to this, as correctly said by ESPN, People's concern on the issue should have been taken. TataSky subscribers did want a reduction in prices, and modlarity in packages. But what TataSky has done is that it has brought in modularity, but the actual cost of the packages stand much higher than what it used to be. Taking my package as the example:
South Jumbo: Rs.350 per month + 199 Per year for the Neo add on pack.[Previously]
Rates wef June1, 2008:
South Jumbo : Rs.310 per month
Neo add on pack: Rs. 30 per month or Rs.300/annum
[I stand not affected till september 08 as i had subscribed to it annually initially, but will have to pay the amount after sep 08]
Sports platinum pack: Rs.40/Month [Star sports, Espn, Star Cricket]
Lifestyle silver: Rs. 30/Month [BBC channels]
Ten Sports: Rs.15/month [A-le-carte]
A total of Rs.425/Month, An increase of Rs.75 per month.
Add to that Rs.30 per month if i subscribe to life style gold pack.
SO TataSky has managed to create public interest by telling that the actual prices have been reduced, but a simple math would tell u that the actual prices have increased by an astounding 30%.
We have been trying to voice our opinions in all ways possible, but have not been able to make an impact, U can visit Tata Sky DTH - India Broadband Forum to read more about what the customers feel after buying Tatasky.
Another issue, if Tatasky claims ESPN of not following TRAI guidelines of offering channels on a-le-carte, I would ask the same question to tatasky,
Guidelines say, All DTH companies must operate a toll free line, While TataSky maintains a paid line.
When asked about this, the CC of TataSky teels us that it is only a guideline and not a ruling, we will do it when Trai enforces it.
All our mails and phone calls in this regard, receive template sort of replies, No one is ready to talk on why was this kind of packages made.
Please voice our opinion through ur correspondents, Dont let tataSky off the hook, For even further details please contact me on -edited-
Kunal

@kunal,I ll send the same mail to those ids now... THank u... lets fight :wall:

Please dont send the same mail, Draft a new one, everyone should make their own pints, if we send the same ones they will be discarded as spams 🙂so change the content please :thumb:

@kunalOnce again hats off to you for taking effor in writing and highliting the problems faced by TS customers...... I have forwared the same content with very minor changes and forwarded the email to the address which you had mentioned.........😀

ESPN-Star Sports to move HC against Tata Sky over exclusion from basic package
He further said, “We will be moving the Delhi High Court against Tata Sky on two-three specific aspects.” He, however, refrained from sharing further details.
Venkateish also said that ESPN was also contemplating moving the MRTPC against Tata Sky in the case.
It may be recalled that recently, Tata Sky had announced new rates by reducing monthly subscription charges by up to Rs 50 across all packages.
But according to Venkateish, “What they (Tata Sky) have done is that by taking away 12 channels from the base channels, they are claiming to subscribers that it is coming at a cheaper rate. But they are selling the 12 channels at a separate rate.” The removed channels had been separately priced at Rs 40, Rs 30 and Rs 15, respectively, for ESPN Star channels, Ten Sports and BBC channels, he said, adding, “In totality, subscribers have to pay Rs 45 more and this is unfair trade practice”.

http://www.exchange4media.com/e4m/news/newfullstory.asp?section_id=6&news_id=31217&tag=26128&pict=1

But according to Venkateish, “What they (Tata Sky) have done is that by taking away 12 channels from the base channels, they are claiming to subscribers that it is coming at a cheaper rate. But they are selling the 12 channels at a separate rate.” The removed channels had been separately priced at Rs 40, Rs 30 and Rs 15, respectively, for ESPN Star channels, Ten Sports and BBC channels, he said, adding, “In totality, subscribers have to pay Rs 45 more and this is unfair trade practice”.

this is what everyones saying from the beginning.. i am happy that this matter has got media attention... hell time for tatasky :rofl:

Guys lets take this to everywhere possible, Any place where u see this news article, please post a mail to that publisher. Big or small, Tata Sky has to answer to the media ::cool2:Look for new Id's in my previous post under the edit section 🙂

haha............ TS what will you do now. You people thought that no one will question you and now the biggest group in the sporting world is questioning you on behalf of us...........Kudos to ESPN:thumbsup:........... I think this weekend Vikram Kaushik will have sleepless nights......he he he:cool2:. Hey tanda naka... hey tanda naka....naka..naka.....:yahoo:

Hey tanda naka... hey tanda naka....naka..naka.....:yahoo:
:hysterical::hysterical:
Add to that, Kuruvi adichaaaaa :yahoo:

Its good to see lots of forum members who are using TS has got their smile back. Thanks to ESS.........smile in our forum members Hey tanda naka... hey tanda naka....naka..naka.....:yahoo: