Oracle Cloud's Lifetime free services (2 VPS + more)

• Thread starter Thread starter Rehan Kumar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 152
  • Views Views 14,843
I just had a zoom call with a Product Manager in the OCI Compute team. They had sent a survey link, and I had responded to it. So, he emailed me for some more feedback. They are mainly looking at these things:

1. Making instances go to hibernate mode if the account/ resources are at ~0% use for some time, but they do not want to harass people. Apparently, people are using OCI and forgetting about these instances. (I told him 6 months would be a fair timeframe to send a warning email).
  2. Allowing a freemium model to pay some amount (he suggested me 50 cents or 1 dollar) to access more block storage, etc. But they'll let us set a hard limit for that.
  3. Giving access to powerful machines for a limited amount of time.
  4. Combining the two free instances to get more resources.
  5. Access to support. But it may be limited to 1 ticket per quarter/ 6 months/ 1 year as it is super expensive to maintain the support team.
He told me almost 5 times that they are not looking at making money out of it.😆

I had a lousy experience trying to sign up & finally gave up.

The payment verification happened successfully with my card getting charged SGD 1.38.
VrFU4gt.png

But when I clicked the Start my free trial button, the "Error processing transaction" came up.
DsOgNbi.png

Tried several times with different cards - same error each time.

"Oracle Help" couldn't care less.
yuc53k7.png

Last edited:
can someone help me to understand what does this mean "3,000 OCPU hours and 18,000 GB hours per month".
  • Ampere A1 Compute instances (Arm processor): All tenancies get the first 3,000 OCPU hours and 18,000 GB hours per month for free for VM instances using the VM.Standard.A1.Flex shape, which has an Arm processor. For Always Free tenancies, this is equivalent to 4 OCPUs and 24 GB of memory.

Another advantage with A1 instances are, its network is not throttled to 50Mbps like AMD instances. Throughput reached 600-800 Mbps in my testing.

So, I just started using it. It says that 10TB outgoing bandwidth is free which is great.
Does anyone know what happens if you exceed this in a free account (won't be exceeding this but afraid to get charged for extra bw)? Cause as far as I know they don't charge you unless you explicitly select pay-as-you-go. So will they just disable outgoing transfer (will be great if they do this rather than charging the user)?

I don't know what happens after you exceed 10 TB. But they won't charge your card no matter what, unless you upgrade to the paid plan. You can raise a ticket (if you are in the trial) for details.

@royalroy How did you do the speedtest on the ARM?
We can only create Oracle Linux instances (no Ubuntu/Centos) with the ARM system.
Was anyone successful in installing wireguard server on the Oracle Linux instance?

You can create ARM instances with UBUNTU 20.04 LTS but not Ubuntu minimal. Centos is available as well. Wait for 1 minute after you land on the 'create instance' page. It takes some time to load. If you select ubuntu before it loads completely, the OS defaults back to Oracle Linux, and you may not notice it.

I am using speedtest-cli from OOKLA.

@royalroy How did you do the speedtest on the ARM?
We can only create Oracle Linux instances (no Ubuntu/Centos) with the ARM system.
Was anyone successful in installing wireguard server on the Oracle Linux instance?
The procedure to install wireguard is pretty similar as the basic tools works in similar ways
You can install speedtest either from the repo or by running, I had a script for wireguard for RHEL (includes oracle linux) let me search it sometime today

Code:
curl -s https://install.speedtest.net/app/cli/install.rpm.sh | sudo bash
sudo yum install speedtest

I tried all my CCs and multiple email accounts to create some Free tiers. None of them work but the first one.
And now, suddenly I got an SMS that my ICICI Cc has been charged with 10 SGD.

They have a solid fraud detection system. I had used my dad's details to create a second account. Somehow they detected me.

Don't worry, you'll be charged twice during the free trial period to verify if this is a real card. Everything will be refunded.

Any guides to take snapshot of the instance? I've setup some softwares and running fine, but i continue to experiment.. so i wanted to have a backup of snapshot which is working fine.

^Where exactly the disk option is there? I can see storage menu, but not disk one. Can you give more details?