Oracle Cloud's Lifetime free services (2 VPS + more)

• Thread starter Thread starter Rehan Kumar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 152
  • Views Views 14,857
iptables rules reset after reboot by default, I would suggest you to re run iptables commands required by wireguard and use
Code:
sudo netfilter-persistent save
After running iptables commands so that rules are automatically reloaded after reboot

To open a particular port on oracle cloud, for example to open port 80/tcp
Code:
sudo iptables -I INPUT 6 -m state --state NEW -p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
To use udp, replace tcp with udp and 80 with required port, also remember to run sudo netfilter-persistent save

There is a reason iptables resets after every reboot by default, because it's quite powerful and can be dangerous, one wrong command can even block port 22 and lock you out of your VM, which can be solved by a simple reboot of the VM from console.

My original wireguard script also had problems after VM restart but some iptables tweak solved the problem.

I will try to tweak my script to work properly with Oracle cloud and share once it's ready
Can you post your script if it is ready ? My problem is WireGuard connects fine(ping works on both side) but downloading a file from Oracle VPS to my_desktop works but my_desktop to Oracle VPS not working ? Any idea whether i'm missing in iptable.

This is a crude write-up on this topic if you are running Ubuntu

cd /etc/iptables

and then edit the files there (I did for .v4 file there) and find a similar line here. Now, go ahead and add the line to allow tcp on port 80.

-A INPUT -p tcp -m state --state NEW -m tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT

then save and run

systemctl restart iptables

I was charged 1 SGD on my credit
@royalroy Did you got the refund for this?
Same here i was charged while sign up a week ago then I got refund within in 30 minutes then today morning also they charged 1 SGD but i didn't get the refund yet.
Actually the Card which is used for sign up is my friend's Card if i removed the Card details from the Oracle cloud still am i able to get Oracle Cloud's Life time free service ?

Long story short, you'll get your money back.

Actually, when you swipe your card, money in your account/ card is put on hold by your bank and your bank tells the merchant that enough fund is available for the transaction. The merchant has to claim that amount within 21 days in his PoS machine to get it in his account (known as settlement). He also has the option to cancel that hold. In that case, money never leaves your account and the hold is lifted by your bank. Oracle will never go for settlement and will remove that hold within a day or two. Don't panic.

Oracle has launched ARM processors, and it is included in the always free tier.
Memory: 24 GB
Network throughput: 4 Gbps (internal network) and ~1200 Mbps (my testing) on Ookla
(network throughput proportionately depends on the number of cores your CPU has, the above is tested on a 4 core CPU.)
The experience is better than in previous always free instances.

Edit: Corrected some wrong data on memory and explained network throughput calculation.

Last edited:
Available in regions Australia East (Sydney), Australia Southeast (Melbourne), Brazil East (Sao Paulo), Canada Southeast (Montreal), Canada Southeast (Toronto), Chile (Santiago), Germany Central (Frankfurt), India West (Mumbai), Japan Central (Osaka), Japan East (Tokyo), South Korea Central (Seoul), South Korea North (Chuncheon), Switzerland North (Zurich), UAE East (Dubai) , UK South (London), UK West (Newport), US East (Ashburn), US West (Phoenix).

All tenancies also get 4 OCPUs and 24 GB of memory Always Free for VM instances using the VM.Standard.A1.Flex shape, which has an Arm-based processor.

Edit:

Oh, and BTW, they have launched IPv6 in all regions. Each IP is brand new, clean and works with all services as of now, including Netflix.

Last edited:
Yes, Netflix hasn't flagged those IPs as of now, though I'm pretty sure they'll do it soon. But be sure not to use dual-stack IPv4 and IPv6 when using Netflix. Use only IPv6. They'll notice your datacenter IPv4 and throw up a proxy error.

@varkey I used 24 GB RAM ARM VM extensively for the last 1-2 days to test. But now it seems like a 6 GB VM gets deployed whatever I choose. Can you please verify?

Edit: Thanks, it's solved. I was choosing the OS after choosing the shape. So, the shape got automatically changed to the lowest version.

Last edited: