OpenWRT compatible router in 2022

ISP
BSNL
I am looking for a new router that is OpenWRT compatible and has good WiFi range. Initially I was considering TP-Link Archer A7, but it has a single core CPU and also seems outdated being launched a number of years ago.

Now Archer A6 V3 also seems to supported by OpenWRT now. It is dual core, but is more like an entry level router.

I also looked a Asus routers, but ASUS 58U does not really seem to be available now.

Are there any other routers that I can consider, which are OpenWRT compatible and have a good WiFi range?

Using 2 A6v3, have to say they perform well.

Upvote 0
What additional features does OpenWRT provide for the A6 v3 exactly?, I have the router and might just want to flash them, as the stock firmware is getting kind of buggy for me and would to try it out.

Upvote 0
Sqm takes a huge hit on these tiny cpus. You end up losing a chunk of your bandwidth, so not really usefull. Adblock yup

Upvote 0
Using 2 A6v3, have to say they perform well.

Could you post installed wpad/hostapd version?
Download speed on 5Ghz with
wpad-openssl2022-01-16-cff80b4f-5
doesn't go above 50 Mbps, upload is fine.

wpad-wolfssl is better but still not great.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If budget is not an issue:

Upvote 0
I just wanted to provide an update. I bought Archer A6 v3 in January for around 2200, but OpenWrt did not work well on it initially. 5 GHz WiFi had slow and buggy performance.

However, around March, I installed a snapshot build which included updated WiFi drivers. The performance has been great after that, in fact I find it better than it was on stock firmware. The WiFi range has also improved with OpenWrt.

The build I am using is SNAPSHOT r19003-43276b60c6.

I believe the upcoming OpenWrt 22 stable release will likely have everything working fine, similar to the snapshot I am running.

I would suggest this router as it has a dual core processor, and newer and more powerful hardware than Archer A7.

Upvote 0
@halfbytecode I am also having the same issue, slow 5Ghz, not going above 250Mbps. Can you tell what speeds you getting on 5Ghz now?

Upvote 0