• Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 5,679
Status
Not open for further replies.

pudu123

Regular
ISP
Airtel Xtreme 40Mbps
Note - I am not sure where I should post this thread but since I am an IPTV user, I am posting here. **I have been a long time user of openDNS. I started using it because I do not trust Airtel and thought they may throttle some sites they do not like (p2p, etc.)lately I have been suffering problems while trying to view videos via streaming like YouTube, iTunes trailers page, charlierose.com website. Then I googled a bit and came across discussions saying that openDNS does not play nice with akamai servers and since the above mentioned services use akamai, it may lead to slow speeds while using the above mentioned video services. So, I am wondering if I gain anything by using openDNS or should I switch back to using Airtel provided DNS servers???

I for one have never experienced any issues with opendDNS. From my experience I believe that it is the best service of its kind and I have tested with several. So my recommendation is that you stick with openDNS.Regards!

Note - I am not sure where I should post this thread but since I am an IPTV user, I am posting here.

I have been a long time user of openDNS.

I started using it because I do not trust Airtel and thought they may throttle some sites they do not like (p2p, etc.)

lately I have been suffering problems while trying to view videos via streaming like YouTube, iTunes trailers page, charlierose.com website.

Then I googled a bit and came across discussions saying that openDNS does not play nice with akamai servers and since the above mentioned services use akamai, it may lead to slow speeds while using the above mentioned video services.

So, I am wondering if I gain anything by using openDNS or should I switch back to using Airtel provided DNS servers???

Short answer: yes. Yes you do.

Google is right in this case. Airtel has Youtube caches, Akamai boxes and god knows what else sitting in their DC's (mostly in Delhi). Performance is BADLY degraded when you use public servers because instead of grabbing it from Airtel's cache or even one of the next nearest caches (say, Singapore), it'll go to the master server and pull the content from there which is the least ideal thing it could be doing.

Secondly, Airtel throttles P2P etc by protocol: switching DNS servers will have almost no effect here - unless Airtel specifically bans a tracker by it's name (eg if they banned like, tracker.link-removed.org from DNS requests) then you wouldn't be able to use that without using a DNS server that will correctly forward the request to that tracker.

Airtel could potentially improve things by actually hosting more DNS service servers, that is, Airtel *can* host a mirror of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 or 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222 by agreement with Google and/or OpenDNS if they want to - we're getting ready to do just that with 3 public DNS services.

Twitpic - Share photos and videos on Twitter

As of now, my own DNS servers are 1ms away, Google DNS is 1ms away... but since we don't yet have OpenDNS sitting in our DC, they're 137ms away in London.

What does this mean?

Well, using my own DNS servers (or Google's in our case too), it means that Youtube is 1ms away, anything hosted on Akamai is 1ms away - but were I to use OpenDNS, Youtube would probably be around 150-200ms away, Comcast (as in this example, or iTunes in your example) would be 200ms away and my overall experience would be inferior to what I get now.

Status
Not open for further replies.