One MTNL modem Two Machines 30 m apart

• Thread starter Thread starter Xavier
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 2,894

Xavier

ISP
MTNL
Hi Friends I am facing a problem. Request your suggestions to solve it. I have a desktop kept in ground floor of building. It does not have a wireless card. I also have a laptop that I use in a 3rd floor room. It has a wireless card. I wanted to access internet through both machines hence I got installed a MTNL broadband connection and also bought a Netgear wireless router. Idea was to access internet on desktop through wired LAN cable and on laptop through wireless router. Although I can access internet on desktop, I am unable to access internet on laptop as wireless signal becomes very weak. Present set up is like this. Broadband MTNL modem on ground floor. Its output given to wireless Netgear router. Desktop connected to Netgear router by Lan cable. Please suggest how can I access internet through my laptop's wireless lan card on 3rd floor. Can I use a lan splitter, fit it in MTNL modem and shift Netgear router to 3rd floor? Thanks in advance for your time and help.

well you could use a hub for that.. buy you would have to take a cable from ground to 3rd floor..

ya... 3rd floor is too far for signal to reach. Get a CAT5 LAN cable and join the router with Laptop thru lan... - cheapest option but ur wireless thing will be useless2nd option - if possible - put ur wireless router on 1st floor, get a wireless card for ur desktop (or get CAT5 LAN cable and connect desktop at ground floor with router on 1st floor) and use net on both (or atleast ur laptop) peripherals wirelessly...in my opinion, first option is best if u've no probs with wire running in/out the house

what do u want to do? Wanna make people net savvy by providing free internet to residents on 1st and 2nd floor? Wi-fi is very easy to hack, u know it very well.But still if u wanna take risk, install Netgear router near window may be on top of window AC on gnd floor (if u have any) and install boosters on 3rd floor house, may be on 3rd floor u r receiving signal but signal strength is too low to start a connection!

@/xavier/Welcome to broadbandforum.co Please mention the model number of your Netgear Wireless router ? YOu re you using another modem provided by MTNL ? mention model. Condition : you would like to keep the Desktop at ground floor.and use laptop in Wireless mode in 3rd floor.

May be u can change the setup a bit. Put router on 3rd floor and extend LAN cable to ground floor. That way investment wud be max that of cable.

Hi Friends Thanks for your suggestions. I bought a 8 port Netgear switch and a 30m LAN cable. Idea was to keep MTNL modem and switch on ground floor and take the wireless router to 3rd floor. But no success. When I joined modem to switch niether the LAN light on modem turned on nor the light on Switch (for the port connected) turned on. However, Switch to desktop computer connection was fine and port light on Switch was on. I tried a crosss cable between modem and Switch instead of straight cable, still no success. Then, I took the Switch to my brother's house which has Airtel connection. To my surprise, when connected both modem's and switch's lights went on and internet connection worked fine. Please suggest me where does the problem lie. Why does not MTNL modem recognizing Switch. Many thanks

Tried it at my home today. My WiFi router is on 5th floor. Tested signals 50 meters away in Garden of housing society. Got 50% strength on my Nokia N82.So, WiFi should not be an issue at all for 3 floors if you take care of these things:1. Secure WiFi wil WAP2. Keep router near window (Get an external antenna for router to increase signals if that does not work out)3. Buy a cheap router for 3rd floor and set it up as a repeater for router on ground floor

^ you must have kept the router near the window and since there is no obstruction in between, your mobile easily received the signals. but im not sure if the signal could reach from ground floor to third floor with so many walls/slabs in between. our cement buildings make it a lot worse.using a router/repeater could be a solution if you can spend a little.

Yes signals wont reach third floor directly. Router needs to be near window and on third floor, a repeater is required near window.

Friends, Thank you for your kind help. I have shifted the telephone line, modem and router to 3rd floor and have done a wired connection between router and desktop at ground floor. Thanks once again. Xavier