• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 48
  • Views Views 3,774

amish

Star gazer
I got banned!
ISP
MTNL Mumbai BB_600 @12mbps
So as I have been discussing in some other thread. I am planning to purchase new PC.

But before that I am just testing the old PC which I almost NEVER used. (harddisk used only for 45 hours in total)

I started this PC after like 8-9 years. But it looks completely brand new.

It has 3 fans in total. CPU Fan, Cabinet fan and PSU fan.

Here is what happens - randomly:
  1. I press power button, all fans start and switch off in 2-3 seconds (without beep sound)
  2. I press power button, all fans start and switch off after 5-10 seconds (after beep sound)
  3. I press power button, all fans start and OS boots (and then switches off from 2 mins to 1 hour)
  4. After switching off, it does not restart by pressing power button OR pressing reset button
  5. To restart either I have to turn off/on wall switch OR press power button for 7-8 seconds, release it and then press it again.
I was able to install Linux yesterday and then it stayed on for almost 1 hours (or may be little less) and then switched off directly.

I believe it is SMPS problem but just wanted to ask if there could be any other reason, like motherboard going bad etc.?

Thank you.

Photos attached - in case someone wants to have a look.
cabinet.webp
smps.webp

To install anything it should first boot OS and give me few minutes to do some testing.. but now it doesnt stay up for more than 2-3 minutes.. So it boots OS (once in 10 attempts or so) and then once it boots. I hardly get anytime to check anything

I dont have volt meter and i do not know how to use it.

Upvote 0
What if the BIOS needs to be updated

Upvote 0
So somehow the PC is running from about 20 mins

I ran linux sensors command and this is the output

As you can see temperatures are normal

At three places it is showing ALARM but I have no clue what it is. Or if those ALARMs make any difference

How do I read the voltages mentioned below? What is what?

# sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0: +43.0°C (high = +76.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1: +34.0°C (high = +76.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

it8718-isa-0290
Adapter: ISA adapter
in0: 1.07 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
in1: 1.63 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
in2: 3.38 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
+5V: 3.02 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
in4: 304.00 mV (min = +0.00 V, max = +2.10 V)
in5: 4.08 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V) ALARM
in6: 4.08 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V) ALARM

in7: 3.12 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
Vbat: 2.48 V
fan1: 1767 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
fan2: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
temp1: -55.0°C (low = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C) sensor = thermistor
temp2: -2.0°C (low = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C) sensor = thermistor
temp3: +33.0°C (low = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C) sensor = thermal diode
cpu0_vid: +1.100 V
intrusion0: ALARM

Does anyone have any idea?

Upvote 0
EDITED:
After being up for 3 hours.. it finally shutdown abruptly

And now again .. it is shutting down within 2-3 minutes

Ok so machine is up from 2 hours now and seems like working properly

Today morning I attached a different power cable to machine

Can random shutdown be due to power cable?

But the point to note is that earlier also I had tested with a different power cable but problem was not solved...so i am wondering if both the previous power cables were faulty?

But if power cable were faulty then how did keyboard remained powered on even after random shutdown?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
intuitively have a feeling that its a bios related issue...just check if an updated version of bios for your motherboard is available

Upvote 0
Check what? I had removed whole motherboard and reattached everything from scratch.

Upvote 0
Since you are doubting Power Cable........... I said check the socket where you Plug the power cable...... try using some high wattage product, like an iron on that socket, if it works stable.....

Upvote 0
Oh you mean the wall socket. I thought you meant socket on motherboard.

No its not the socket problem because i connected PC to 3 different sockets in 3 different rooms and it gave problem everywhere.

Upvote 0
Try a different power cable coming to the PC. I had a similar problem once. The problem was with the PC end. All h/w guys disagreed with me but after changing that 25/- buck cable all was well. A friend had a similar problem but in his case it was the data cable from hdd to Mobo which was the culprit. Other two problems could be as others mentioned 1) SMPS or 2) RAM (clean contacts of ram with an eraser).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
👍🏻Ok so that's out that leaves the other three suspects. SMPS, RAM & data cable from HDD to Mobo.
Actually I meant the socket on the PC end where we connect the power cable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its not data cable to HDD because if I remove it... it still happens.

RAM - i dont know as right now I dont have spare RAM to test.

But I am not sure that faulty RAM can switch off the machines, instead it will corrupt the data.

Assuming RAM is good - i think its SMPS or motherboard.

Upvote 0