nuggets, from the friendly neighborhood airtel guy

ISP
airtel/128k
some information, from the chap who came over, a few days ago. as always, reliability is suspect. maybe ultra-vires, who seems to have the ear of someone in airtel's management, can ask around about these things.

on being told about the drop in speeds, he said
a. airtel's free installation offer has completely choked their dslams (?)

b. new cables are being laid, to keep up with demand.

c. the double speed offer at night worsens things.

d. "actually" there's a lot of bandwidth available.

but, most disturbing,
e. airtel implements throttling. i.e. if you're a big downloader, you'll be cut down to size by being given less speeds. (by a policy that monitors entire account categories/groups.)

f. the adsl modems they use are absolute raddi, and even internal efforts (by their more knowledgeable guys who goto customer premises) to move from the sastaa chinese maal to better equipment (e.g. Linksys or smc barricade) are being shot down or ignored, by inane arguments like "but we have deployed these modems all over india."

haha, hope it doesnt mean they're going to need to start digging roads again! but if "actually" there is more bandwidth available, then its just the DSLAM thats the bottleneck (they need more equipment, and tap into their fiber)?as for "move from the sastaa chinese maal to better equipment (e.g. Linksys or smc barricade)", airtels modems sound bad to me, yes, but bsnl's modems sound good... i've got TWO mt800 modems (not 880, the old 800) and they're great...airtel should source from "cheap but good"... like Huawei 😛on a side note, i hope the new budget has lots of concessions for telecom (especially broadband) folks

Originally posted by testsubjectalpha@Feb 13 2006, 10:04 AM
some information, from the chap who came over, a few days ago. as always, reliability is suspect. maybe ultra-vires, who seems to have the ear of someone in airtel's management, can ask around about these things.

on being told about the drop in speeds, he said
a. airtel's free installation offer has completely choked their dslams (?)

b. new cables are being laid, to keep up with demand.

c. the double speed offer at night worsens things.

d. \"actually\" there's a lot of bandwidth available.

but, most disturbing,
e. airtel implements throttling. i.e. if you're a big downloader, you'll be cut down to size by being given less speeds. (by a policy that monitors entire account categories/groups.)

[snapback]41979[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes testsubjectalpha the information you got from the airtel guy was absolutely right. The problem of low speeds and packet loss is due to the choking of the local DSLAM's. I have been talking directly to DSL Manager Noida(technical support) Mr Sunil Wali and even he has given me the same explanation. He said that this issue would be resolved soon as airtel is in the process of upgrading the capacity of their DSALM's.
You can check out my thread reagrding he same:

https://broadband.forum/How_i_finally_got...lved-t4162.html

I had also asked him specifically about the throttling and he said that airtel does not have the intention or capacity at present to throttle heavy downloaders. But he said in future the policy might change.

good god. 🙁 atleast they should not be charging the same rates if they cant provide the services they provide. they already charged me much higher than they should normally by providing me an inferior package!

I had ae experience when their DSLAM were slamed to the eartheand an SDH was down,I called up the cut care (They @ times are helpful),spent 15 min with the supervisor and came out with a ref number according to which i coud use the dialup serviceand get a waiver.It worked,tear them apart and then they work.

All Broadband providers starting to suck,real_india , you should ask Mr.Wali that if there is "actually " bandwidht available then why do they need to throttle heavy downloaders??They will have to resort to such things only when they have given out more connections than the actual bandwidth available.They are cheating people by doing such things., IMHO they dont have enough bandwidth with them hence they do such things. Even I have suffered due to this as my ISP starts to do throttling the moment we start heavy downloads ( "we" means all the users in my area) and we dont even get 1/4th of the promised speeds.They cant expect all people to use their net only for surfing and chatting, broadband users primarily aim at downloads, if surfing and chatting was needed dialup suffices, because when i used to use MTNL dialup it worked like a charm ,never disconnected .

k .. i was away .. and now back with news 🙂there dslam is the bottleneck.there modems are cheap , they do agree with that , but do u expect them to give hauwie or Netgear stuff to ppl with 200 rental 😕 , 220bx costs them just 1200bux .they are intoducing netgear router's in there range which are of far better quality and supposidly better port forwarding. ( if u want details on this 1 then pm me ).no they are not layin more wires to get more capacity.yes they are upgrading there netwrk(DSLAM and fibre).yes the double speed offer is a burden on them but the management took that decision without askin the tech guys. so......

(ultra, 'their' and not 'there' (in some cases))airtel's "laying" wires, but in a different way. since the trench work got done the last time they carves up the footpaths and the roads, now, they're digging vertically (down) and not horizontally. a hole, 5ft by 5ft maybe is made every 20 metres, and more cable fitted into their existing pipes. but i've only seen this in green park and hauz khas...

Originally posted by testsubjectalpha@Feb 16 2006, 10:56 AM
oop. that should've read 'carved'. damn, 's' and 'd' being right next to each other...

Do a spellcheck before you post 😛

Just kidding !

BTW, your written English is quite good...

Originally posted by ultra vires@Feb 16 2006, 03:11 AM
k .. i was away .. and now back with news 🙂

there dslam is the bottleneck.

no they are not layin more wires to get more capacity.

yes they are upgrading there netwrk(DSLAM and fibre).

[snapback]42165[/snapback]
[/quote]

hehehehe, i guessed right! (my previous post above)

i wonder if they're going to wait for budget before purchasing dslam equipment or they're already doing the upgrade bit by bit...

who care wht geramar is 😛 ..wht purpose would these vertical holes server , unless they want to dig there Customer care executives 😕

Originally posted by ultra vires@Feb 16 2006, 03:28 PM
who care wht geramar is 😛 ..

wht purpose would these vertical holes server , unless they want to dig there Customer care executives 😕
[snapback]42216[/snapback]
[/quote]

.....you mean 'bury there, their customer care executives" ? 😉