Notebook-Laptop Battery Queries

• Thread starter Thread starter siddking09
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 79
  • Views Views 22,645
I have noticed something new with Ubuntu 8.10...On 8.04 I was getting max battery backup of 1:45 Hrs but with Intrepid Ibex I'm getting a cool 2:45 Hrs!!! Battery is more than 15 months old! (But still has capacity of 95%, has been used for at least 150 recharge cycles, Seems Acer ain't that bad!😗) So have they done some major improvements in power usage?Anyway whatsoever may be the reason but I'm simply loving it..:yahoo:

Ubuntu rocks :thumbsup:

well..check out if processor speed is not down clocked to get better battery life?

well..check out if processor speed is not down clocked to get better battery life?

Hmmm I have opted for "On Demand" CPU usage...for Web surfing/Music/Office, processor uses lowest frequency. Same settings were there for 8.04...But there is definite improvement in battery management for sure. It reduces power consumption to 12.5 Watts/hr:yahoo:
I don't think even Vista has this feature. You need to manually choose wheter you want Max power usage or power saver option, there is nothing like On Demand usage. Whenever I do any heavy stuffs CPU usage goes to max automatically on Ubuntu!😛

hmm..sounds gr88...need to give it a try:thumb::thumb:

hmm..sounds gr88...need to give it a try:thumb::thumb:

Sure dude...you MUST give it a try...

Today I have reduced the display brightness to 50% and now my batter backup is 3:08 hrs..:dance:Simply awesome. When I purchased the system, It was preloaded with Xp and I was getting battery of 2:30 on "BRAND NEW" system!

Yes, much of the software is improved (Kernel etc) to avoid continuous "polling" which prevents CPU from going to sleep, thanks to projects like Intel's PowerTop etc... you should see battery life improvements in all distros not just Ubuntu 😀

Also see [Phoronix] Extending Ubuntu's Battery Life

I don't think he meant fifteen thousand. I think there was supposed to be a decimal in there, haha. Anyway, my battery ran out of juice too. Since my warranty was up, I decided to just get one off of eBay. The one I decided on was a Denaq, and after shipping, it only cost me 78 something. I did my research first though and compared Denaq laptop battery reviews with some of the other big companies. They were all about the same, if not a little better, so I figured, if it saved me some dough, mine as well do it.

iirc, the new ubuntu has laptop mode already enabled (only for laptops). maybe that could be a factor if you had not enabled it on 8.04

I had bought a Notebook from China about 2-3 years ago.Although the Notebook still works very well:yahoo: but I am very dissatisfied with it's Battery life😢.On full charge it provides only 2 hours of Runtime.😢The battery is from a company Called Simplo and the Model Number is MWL32b.It has an output of 11.1 V and 4800 mAh.I am thinking of buying a new battery, since I am new to this field, I want you all to suggest me a battery and If possible a battery that can provide a longer runtime.Also tell about it's cost.Thanks

first of all you should never had third party battery in laptops.buy only the reccomended battery.your battery has lasted way too long.normally a laptop battery lasts 18 months. Chinese battery are prone to explosion.which model you have?i have a Dell xps and my batterey proveds 2.5 hrs runtime. This is the avg dischage rate.you could have died and i am not joking.remove that battery and buy a legit one.