Not et all excited about airtel's 3G service launch

aviral sangal

Senior
ISP
Tikona
Hello everyone,For me there is no reason to be excited for the launch of 3G service especially from airtel because of few reasons.They wont be offering the promised speed as that happened with EDGE.They wont be offering any competitive plans as TATA DOCOMO did with an awesome speed that is just not on paper but actual too.I mentioned EDGE over here because 3 yr back i was subscribed to airtel Mobile office service for Rs 99 with a speed being offered was 24KBPS or even more. I was able to download a whole movie in a night on the phone.But suddenly 1.5 or 2Yrs back suddenly increased there GPRS charges to sky rocketting high and speed rock bottomed. It dropped to 3-4KBPS.I know they are launching new service so would be making tall promises but those will be only on paper.Very disappointed with RCOM too as it was supposed would give some competition to DOCOMO in the 3G pricing but was way off the mark.So as a conclusion Nothing to be excited about

Dude do not get disappointed. Wait for airtel to lauch services. IMO their services would be better than any other service provider in india. I am an airtel mobile customer from 10 years and i am very satisfied with them. They charge a small % of premium over other operators but they are good and reliable.

Before 3 years scenario was different. Now there are good competitors who will eat business of airtel if they do not provide good service. Also once MNP is launched, you can fly out of current service provider and shift to a new one.
Again do not arrive at a conclusion that airtel will not be offering competitive plans as TATA DOCOMO, you never know they can bring in better plans because of large customer base.

---------- Post added at 11:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

Dude RCOM is offering upto 21Mbps speed with 21GB data for 2100. I feel RCOM has better plans than TATA DOCOMO any day. Also they are not restricting speeds. You buy a device supporting 21Mbps and fly with them.

I am disappointed that RCOM is not available in Karnataka 😢

all the private companies want to do is ... make an idiot of the consumer ... stash bank notes in swiss account and bribe the babus for their benefit. They have no transparency.... no organisational discipline , manner of working...God ... save this country its in your hands now !

They wont be offering any competitive plans as TATA DOCOMO did

Docomo's pricing is competitive? Oh my God.. You are the first person to say so.. In my opinion.. and most of the forum member's as well, their 3G plans are pathetic and not even comparable with BSNL....

by the way, do you work for Docomo?

duh. BSNL plans cannot be compared to plans offered by private operators. BSNL seems to be committing a financial suicide. The way they have been operating and making losses. if you have to compare plans, compare plans offered by the private operators. MTNL and BSNL have the backing of the government. if they suffer financial losses, it is the government (that means us) who are going to foot the bill. if you look at the smaller picture of course, BSNL has the best plan in 3G right now 4200 for six months. The question is... How long can they sustain at these prices? With all the money that has to be paid for the bandwidth and the spectrum?

IMO Airtel 3G tariff would be any day costlier than Rcom, may be lesser than Docom😵n earth i think BSNL is the only company providing lowest tariff on 3G data & video call as of today (may be MTNL too). Correct me if i am wrong.

One thing should not be forgotten that the 700rs/unlimited 3G by BSNL is just a promotional offer & I am sure that they are not going to continue this in anyway. The real plan is for approx. 1500 rs. in both prepaid & postpaid. And if we keep in mind these 1500 rs & take law of average in terms of both usage & speeds, not all of the 3G users download 200gb and not everyone in getting 3 or more mbps bandwidth.Before the launch of this 700rs/month package their 3G user base was 20lakh which would have grown at least 50% or more in these 3 months of this offer which means they have a very huge user base which will become used to those 3g speeds(though speeds are coming down these days) and they will be using their 3G services in one way or another. Some might still go for those 1500 RC, some for lower limited RCs but BSNL would be recovering their expenditures from more no. of customers.But if they become like Docomo how would they recover the money if the user base is going to remain in a few thousands that too cursing the pathetic packages. Bsnl's current offering looks financial suicide and they are in no way wise business plans but that is also a strategy to make huge customer base. Having the biggest user base counts as we can see Airtel in 2G with biggest user base.

But seeing the present offers even if we don't count 700 rs. offer, BSNL looks to be the one likely to gain more users on 3G than any other pvt. operators. I haven't seen people waiting for MNP to switch to pvt. operators for 3G data.Also seeing the current MNP data for haryana, It isn't all that huge loss for any single operator. Earlier too churn rate of operators were significant.Earlier people used to hate BSNL but now there is a significant image make over of BSNL, while the same for TATA DOCOMO & Airtel has gone down in the past becoz of their pathetic Data packages in 3G & 2G.

it is too early to speak about the quality of service from BSNL and private operators. even though BSNL has been offering 3G for years now, they are only now getting a decent subscriber base after the major drop in prices of their packages. now that they would have enough customers, we would find out how good their network is.

I dont worry about what will happen to BSNL, but as a customer, and after seeing their demo, I strongly feel that BSNL is having an upper hand in 3G than any other private players. Once MNP is in place, I will definitely opt for BSNL's 700/- month 3G offer , if other players are following docomo's pathetic pricing plan.

excellent strategy to get stuck with an operator that has a very unpredictable track record!

I dont worry about what will happen to BSNL, but as a customer, and after seeing their demo, I strongly feel that BSNL is having an upper hand in 3G than any other private players. Once MNP is in place, I will definitely opt for BSNL's 700/- month 3G offer , if other players are following docomo's pathetic pricing plan.

Kindly note Rs 700/- is as a promotional price (If you pay annually). Retail rate is around 1400/-

-Kannan M

well 1400 bucks for unlimited 3G is not a bad deal after all. in the end, this package shows the double standards and idiocy of BSNL. they are fine providing 3G unlimited for just 700/1400 rupees. but their landline plans are infested with FUP and are whole lot more expensive.