Not all Intel 13th gen CPUs are Raptor Lake

• Thread starter Thread starter vishalrao
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 33
  • Views Views 3,493
Now I'm again confused as hell whether to buy i9 12th gen + 3070ti laptop now or wait until next year to get i7 13th gen + 4070 one 😭

Anyone else facing the same issue? 😭

One generation won't make a difference in real-world situations, I have a 4-year-old Ryzen 5 2600 on my personal desktop and it still works like a beast.
I mainly use my desktop for things related to video editing, gaming, or occasional coding.

But intel seems to be doing a lot of good stuff on Raptor Lake. Also Nvidia will definitely punch more VRAM into next series. But I think I should go with current gen.

Before you think about buying the best of the best, think about whether it'd be worth paying the premium and whether will you be able to justify the cost based on the performance you receive.
The good thing about PC-Platform is, applications even games are tuned to be supported by a huge range of hardware from low to high-end, so even if you go for something mid to mid-high, its very unlikely for it to go out of commission at least for the next 5-6 years or maybe even more.
Judging by the latest trends, shrinking the die size won't guarantee performance or efficiency increase anymore.

Yes, thanks for telling me. My usecase is to edit 4k 60 fps videos along with playing AAA titles as well as all the regular browsing. A bit of coding and some website creation. Most priority is for video editing and playing high graphics intensive games.

Right now I have my eyes on - https://www.amazon.in/dp/B09X5HYQQ7/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_gl_i_ZNZ9RMDQ8E34GR146623_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Is is going to last good for like 5-6 years? I can recover it's cost well within 5-6 months. Right now I am on a very basic machine. Since the beginning I used low end or mid range hardware so this is going to be my first high end Machine. That's why I need your suggestions. Whether it's worth it or not in the long run. Also what's the life expectancy of these Machines if used for 6-8 hours a day with 3-4 hour of heavy usage. Thanks 🙂

Last edited:
Any particular case you need a laptop only? It's much more cost effective and upgrade friendly to setup a small factor pc instead which will still have some portability (much less than a laptop though). A desktop 3070 Ti will easily outperform the laptop version by 40-50% since it can take much more power.

Even I want a desktop but I have to take it to college sometimes as well as I want my device to have some sort of power backup (it's possible with UPS but that's another hastle). I love the compact size or laptop even though I will use it in my home on my desk 99.9% of the times but still I wouldn't have to worry about data loss due to power outage (although it is rare in our area). I also wanna do some tests so I might take it to terrace etc. As you said a small tower case can be used for PC but that's a bit more of an hastle. Specially for portability. Also I might go travelling to Nepal next year and I would need something to do all the tests so that's when it'll come in handy. As you said desktop hardware is way more powerful than laptop but I think the Ti series doesn't have much difference. Just about 15-20%. See Jarrod's video which was uploaded yesterday -
Source

Laptop 3080ti vs desktop 3080ti has a major difference as well as laptop 3070 & desktop 3070.
But Ti series has something which lowers the gap.

Also I was looking for 12th gen HX chip in this laptop but it's uncertain when it'll launch in India and what's gonna be the price. Although there won't be any use for those extra cores & threads but still it would have ensured top notch hardware.

Previously I was considering the 3080ti Variant with 16 GB VRAM but it turned out that in such small form factor only 8 GB is sufficient.

Source

For price difference of around 65k 3080ti is not worth it considering just 5-7% boost. So 3070ti gives best performance as well as it's not overpriced. Other than that I love that this lappy has 32 GB DDR5 ram which is just 16 GB if I look at the competition. Paired with 2k 240Hz display and 17.3 Inch screen I thought it is best for me.

But I'll wait and see what comes with Lenovo legion series next. If they fail to match it then I'm going for this. Also I've seen i7 11800h + 3070 MSI machine with 1080p 240hz display with 16 GB DDR5 RAM & 2.5G LAN + 6E. Is it a steal for 149k?

Go for a laptop, less stress, and maintenance when something wrong goes down.
While an i9 and 3070ti are very good for 4k60, try to go for a 64GB RAM variant or check if the upgrade is feasible.
I do 1440p, and with 32GB Premiere Pro easily gurgles down all of it.

@Lolita_Magnum Yeah. It supports ram upto 64 Gig & NVME up to 4 TB (2×2).
I wanted to ask one thing like how does a laptop compares to desktop when it comes to dust collection and build up inside?
I never cleaned my laptop or anything till date. But as Rajasthan has a lot of dust it gets dustier so do I need to clean it every 6 months or so? Also is CPU repasting required for such a high temperature machine? Because someday the thermal compound is gonna lose it's ability to effectively dissipate heat to the fans.
What's your Ram usage on 1440p? Will my ram become a bottleneck for 4k 60? At HEVC format with 35 Mbps bitrate.

I can share them but I'm a really shy type of person. Although I open up a lot in this forum... In real life I'm just an introvert and I feel some sort of I don't know...😂 But someday I'll definitely share it. Maybe on my last day on this forum...😂 But I can say one thing for sure... If you have ever watched a 2 wheeler video especially scooter. Then probably you've watched one of my videos too. Other channels don't have that much reach but yeah the automobile channel could have been... Who knows 😂... Is there anyone else like me in this forum? Who's like expresses everything whether it's a chat or something like our forum but totally silent observer in real life?... TBH in the beginning I was fearful because I was getting banned many times due to my silly quoting every time mistake 😂... But once I understood it I never got banned again. Doesn't matter what I say and that's a great thing about this forum. Everyone can have their own opinion... Alright I'm too offtopic... So yeah slowly but surely I feel I've been getting more comfortable with you guys... Like the ones we daily talk to... I swear I talk to you guys more than my friends in real life 😂... It's just the introvert urge to stay at home and just disconnect myself from everyone except a few. I was really looking for some site for learning more about networking and much... Last year I found this forum on my random Excitel search and see here we are today... Once again I wanna say thank you all guys. You guys don't know but you all have been really great to me... Even after me being a stupid guy... Maybe sometimes i seem rude but trust me I am not. I can't express how grateful I am to all of you. You already know who I'm talking about... We talk almost daily in each other's threads & replies 😂... I hope we'll continue this journey together. Because they're a lot to learn for me. I'm gonna make mistakes but you all are my big mentors helping me 🙃. I can't express since December 2021 when I joined this forum... I've been through a lot of bad stuf... Whenever I used to get upset or hurt due to... We all know what hurts the most in teenage years...😂 But I just open IBF and all the bad stuff goes to hell and I start writing "essays" (as you guys call 😂) here... Really guys thanks for bearing me all the time... I know once I had some beef with Itachi and it was my fault. But the way you guys didn't hate me after that... It's just... I can't describe how happy and grateful I am to you guys... Thanks again. We personally don't know each other but still we are connected... And letme tell you one thing... Whether it's anybody... Every morning I check IBF and sleep right after checking it... And open it daily countless times... If I don't see someone's message or conversation in threads... I ask something specific to that person just to check what they're up to. You guys have became like family members to me. Once again sorry for writing this long thing... But I was just upset about something today since evening but I just let my emotions flow here... Sorry guys and take care everyone. Let's continue 🤗