Not Able To Browse-but I Can Access Messenger

t_s_g_shankar

This problem has been pursuing for quite some time now....I start my net connection...that is sify broadband client and start the internet explorer...i can access sites for about 5mins but after that all of a sudden ..iam no longer able to access any sites and an error message saying "Cannot Find server" shows up for any site....but if i try to ping the site..iam gettin replies...but on my browser it just says cant find server...and the thing is ..i am able to access it for about 5mins and its only after that i get dc.....at the same time iam able to use my messenger to chat..my messenger doesnt get disconnected and i can still chat for hours but no browsing ...and my torrents download client shows 200% health for my downloads but doesnt download at all!I thought maybe it was a browser prob and got firefox but its the same with firefox as well...i went to my internet lan options and fiddled with stuff there....but nothing is working.A the moment it is in "Automatically Detect Settings"Need help guys...please help me out..will really appreciate it!Another Prob is my lan...for some weird reason..i can access many guys from my my lan but no one is able to access me and even wen iam using an ip messenger iam all alone on my lan...not able to transfer stuff 🙁

u shudnt have it at automatically detect settings.. i dont think that sify networks use dhcp.. right click ur connection->properties->tcp/ip->properties check whether u have entered ur ip address and settings correctly.. (manually not using the automatic option that is) select manually for the dns servers and enter those settings manually too.. if u dont know ur dns servers try mine i think they shud work.. fone ur cto and find out asap mine is 210.210.69.72202.144.50.4

Originally posted by Bhinder@Mar 25 2006, 02:29 AM
u shudnt have it at automatically detect settings.. i dont think that sify networks use dhcp.. right click ur connection->properties->tcp/ip->properties check whether u have entered ur ip address and settings correctly.. (manually not using the automatic option that is) select manually for the dns servers and enter those settings manually too.. if u dont know ur dns servers try mine i think they shud work.. fone ur cto and find out asap
mine is 210.210.69.72
[snapback]45732[/snapback]
[/quote]
ya...those are perfect...i even got a guy from my sify lan..changed my ip to his and entered his id and pass....even then iam able to connect and use the net for barely 5mins before it becomes totally inactive...but iam still able to chat thro yahoo messenger....it happened with firefox as well..

i think there may be some prob in regard to this.....On my internet explorer...Tools-->Internet Options--->Connections--->LAN Settings--->This is where i select Automatically Detect Settings.....i did a similar thing for Firefox as well....there is an option which says ""Use Automatic Configuration Script" and a space to enter the script!....no idea wat to fill there!

it is very weird coz on my internet explorer it says cant find server..but iam able to ping the same site with pretty decent results

I had the exact same problem 2 weeks back, only it was 10 minutes, and not 5.I consulted the Sify engineers, I consulted my personal engineer (and he's really good). Solution: Format 😱 Result: Problem solved. 😛

grrr....bad solution!!sniff...anyone else has any other solutions other than formatting 🙁

hmmmm firewall check your settings.. might be a virus too get the latest virus definitions and scan ur computer... try scanning for adaware too.. then check ur hosts file.. maybe that is the problem though i dont think so bec u can ping the same websites... it cant be bec of internet explorer bec u cant browse in forefox too... im running out of ideas a format may be the only option :-s hey wait i used to have this problem too and i remember i had blocked the process svchost.exe in zonealarm.. if u have a firewall try unblocking it :-s