Nokia G-2425G-A - Unlock/Root ~ Step by Step detailed guide

Disclaimer : I'm not responsible if you brick your router in-between the process.

1. Open 192.168.1.1 in any browser
default username password both is admin

2. Go to Maintenance->backup and restore->export config file on your desktop
it will be saved as config.cfg

3. Download & install python on your pc
also download this file(python script) on your desktop

Source

4. Open cmd
type
python C:\Users\XXXXX\Desktop\Nokia-router-cfg-tool.py (replace xxxxx with your windows user)

(4b) now lets decrypt your cfg file first
type
python nokia-router-cfg-tool.py -d OYdLWUVDdKQTPaCIeTqniA==
(4c) now unpack you cfg file to xml
type
python nokia-router-cfg-tool.py -u config.cfg

5. A new file is created on your desktop .xml format
right click & select edit.

(5a) press control+f and type TelnetSshAccount in searchbox then hit enter

now change the values same as below

<TelnetSshAccount. n="TelnetSshAccount" t="staticObject">
<Enable rw="RW" t="boolean" v="True"></Enable>
<UserName ml="64" rw="RW" t="string" v="admin"></UserName>
<Password ml="64" rw="RW" t="string" v="OYdLWUVDdKQTPaCIeTqniA==" ealgo="ab"></Password>

press control s to save the file & close it

6. Go back to cmd & check for repack command to encrypt the edited xml file back to cfg
it will look like this something like this :
type
python nokia-router-cfg-tool.py -ple config-XXXXXXX-XXXXXX.xml 0x4924ea42

(6a) a new cfg file will be created on your desktop.

7. Now go back to router login page 192.168.1.1
(7a) go to Maintenance->backup and restore & click "select" then browse newly created cfg file from your desktop then click import
wait for the router to reboot itself.

8. Now login again 192.168.1.1
Go to Security->Access control and allow both telent & ssh(Wan & Lan)

9. Download MobaXterm_Portable_v21.5 link below

10. Open Mobaxterm & click on Start local terminal
type
telnet 192.168.1.1
user: admin
password: admin

11. After that lets first copy this in your clipboard: '; /bin/sh; #
(11a) go back to mobaxterm
type
enable

type
shell

it will ask for password2, press shift+insert button on your keyboard and hit enter
BOOM now you've root access

(11b) to take the current backup of airtel settings
type
cfgcli dump

type
ritool dump
& save the file by going terminal->save terminal text.

(11c) now to unlock settings
type
ritool set OperatorID ALCL

12. Go back your router login on your browser 192.168.1.1 and BOOOOOOM everything is unlocked, you'll see changes right away

Important : If you plan to stick with everything unlocked using airtel fiber then let it as it is.
Important: If you plan to use this router with any other fiber connection just do a factory reset.
Doing a factory reset will erase, reset & unlock everything. The default router login address will change to 192.168.1.254 with username AdminGPON and password as ALC#FGU

I've personally myself tested this whole process & successfully unlocked 3 routers.

I wish you all good health.

@Maxx_369 thanks for this clear post. It is very useful.

@Maxx369 Do you think the same steps apply for the other Nokia ONTs too? Like the github script you linked, the author had used it to get root access to the G240WF device instead. You can find the original link in the script itself. So afterwards one only needs to reset it.

Check if this method works if not then after 5th step search for ONTUSER on xml file then set valur true to false.
Later on 10th step instead of user:admin use user:ONTUSER and password is either admin or SUGAR2A401

Good luck.

@Maxx_369 I m getting the below error

C:\Users\XXXX\Desktop>python Nokia-router-cfg-tool.py -d OYdLWUVDdKQTPaCIeTqniA==
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\XXXX\Desktop\nokia-router-cfg-tool.py", line 221, in <module>
print('\ndecrypted: ' + RouterCrypto().decrypt(base64.b64decode(sys.argv[2])).decode('UTF-8') + '\n')
File "C:\Users\XXXX\Desktop\nokia-router-cfg-tool.py", line 50, in init
from Crypto.Cipher import AES
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'Crypto'

Thanks @Maxx_369 I m able to create new config file.

Trying to access router via terminal
telnet 192.168.1.1
user: admin
password: admin

I get get the following error
### login ####
AONT login: admin
Password:
####Login incorrect

I am missing something here? can you help? @Maxx_369

Last edited:
Thanks for the Detailed explaination, my device is unloced now..!!

I have two questions:
1) after doing the reset and all procedures, i am unable to access shell, it is showing password2 invalid now (shift+insert and Enter)
2) how to make it EPON/xpon.

configs/home/AdminGPON # ritool set OnuMode 002
not allow to modify it.

Any solution for this
I'll give this a try in a bit and see. I tried doing that through config but not sure if it worked or not. But you can try this. Unlimit the ONTUSER in config, repack it and restore it. Then use the command through ONTUSER instead of admin.

Edit: Nope didn't work either. Makes me wonder if my ISP only uses EPON not GPON. Someone once mentioned here their internet stopped working after a fw update which made the device gpon from epon in one of the threads. Gotta contact ISP.
Are you using Nokia G-2425G-A ? If so, what is the terminal UN and PSWD ? @krazzymobile
admin:admin should be it while it's on the Airtel firmware. Switch to ALCL operator ID and it becomes AdminGPON:ALC#FGU
In most cases the terminal first level UN and password is the same as the webgui one.

Last edited:
try this after installing python on cmd:
pip install pycrypto
Users who are not accustomed to python and as such might have a hard time with it. Particularly because pycrypto isn't available for python3. And to install it on python2 you need visual studio alongside for it to compile it. Better option would be to get python(x,y) which has pycrypto with it. Just install that (either full or choose the components yourself).