Nokia G-140W-F bridge mode?

Airtel will not let you use off-the-shelf ONU. Their backend has some sort of software which recognizes only few router types. Theoretically, it is possible to use any ONU but their backend staff is not that competent or don't want the hassle of configuring manually.

Buying a Huawei router yourself is the best option. If you don't want to go down that path then another alternative is to ask for an old Alcatel router model I-240G-D. It is in bridge mode out of the box. The downside with this is that the webui username and password is not known to anybody. It doesn't exist in Airtel system but they do provision it. You may have a hard time getting it from your local Airtel technician as it is an old model. No wifi on it though but does support telephone line.

There are lot of people on olx selling Huawei router, price depends on your negotiation skills 🙂

Hello Rajil,
I have got an Airtel connection yesterday. moved away from Hathway because i needed port forwarding in my router. I inquired with the Airtel sales team who promised that port forwarding is possible. I saw that the option is there in the router admin. However, it is still not working. Connections on port 80 are not coming through. Do i need to do call customer support for this which they shall enable remotely on my router , or is this possible to do it by myself? Also, is the Nokia router good or is lacking in some way which i would have got via Huawei?

Also , i couldn't get the manual for this router . model G-140W-F. would you be able to help with this.

Will be great if you could please let me know .
[I probably should ask this to Airtel but i had a hard time with Hathway explaining what i want hence reaching out to you . Thanks. ]

@Aniket, There have been only 2 instances where people were able to get their Nokia routers bridged. Unfortunately, most people have been unsuccessful. Please read through the thread and check if anything works for me.

If you are able to get hold of a Huawei router, that will be your best bet.

Just an addition, not sure if it will be of much help. Ask for the BDT-121 which is being distributed in a lot of places in the south even now. That one is similar to the Huawei one and bridge mode can be easily setup too.

No, it is not. And most likely you dont need bridging if you dont understand what it means.

Thanks @rajil.s .

Actually, just to bring to your notice, I mentioned about port forwarding in my question. [".... moved away from Hathway because i needed port forwarding in my router. I inquired with the Airtel sales team who promised that port forwarding is possible. .."]

Somebody on another forum has posted the following instructions to bridge the Nokia router. Can somebody try this out?

Code:
0. Login to the web interface of the Airtel's Nokia ONT device
1. Backup your configuration by navigating to Maintenance-->Backup and Restore-->Export Config File;
    a. This will be useful in case you mess up stuff in your configuration and want to restore things back.
2. Navigate to "Network-->WAN"; delete "?_TR069_INTERNET_R_VID_100" entry.
3. Navigate to "Network-->LAN"; Setup one of the LAN ports to "Bridge Mode"; you can configure all of them to "Bridge Mode" as well - your choice. However, the LAN port you set to "Bridge Mode" should be the port you want to connect your downstream home router (where you run the PPPoE authentication).
4. Configure your downstream home router with the ISP's PPPoE username and password.
5. Airtel's Nokia modem bridges the PPPoE packets from the PON interface to the selected Ethernet LAN port on "VLAN 100" (yes, that's correct; I figured this out the hard way - it doesn't strip off the vlan headers before bridging it to the LAN port; neither does it support any option to strip the VLAN headers before bridging). So you you need to configure your downstream home router's port on VLAN 100. If your home router does not support VLANs then, BUMMER, you cannot use bridge mode! :banghead: (shame on Airtel & Nokia :mad: to have overlooked this important aspect - b'coz a lot of home routers do NOT support VLANs; fortunately mine does, because I use OpenWRT ROM).
6. Configure your downstream home router's WAN port (that connects to the Nokia router) on VLAN 100 (tagged; not untagged)
7. That's it. Your PPPoE authentication should go through and your internet link should be UP and running.

That Somebody is me 🙂 . Glad Rajil posted it here!

Happy to help.

Last edited:
Hello Rajil,
I have got an Airtel connection yesterday. moved away from Hathway because i needed port forwarding in my router. I inquired with the Airtel sales team who promised that port forwarding is possible. I saw that the option is there in the router admin. However, it is still not working. Connections on port 80 are not coming through. Do i need to do call customer support for this which they shall enable remotely on my router , or is this possible to do it by myself? Also, is the Nokia router good or is lacking in some way which i would have got via Huawei?

Also , i couldn't get the manual for this router . model G-140W-F. would you be able to help with this.

Will be great if you could please let me know .
[I probably should ask this to Airtel but i had a hard time with Hathway explaining what i want hence reaching out to you . Thanks. ]
i guess port 80 is reserved for the router webui ...some routers allow u to change it which can free up port 80 but i could not find this option on the nokia ...try using some other port such as 8080 and see if that works

Did anyone get above 100mbps on this router? I have a (up to) 300mbps plan but never got above 100. Is the problem with this router or with Airtel?

this worked like a charm thanks @rajil.s
Capture.webp

The router/GPON has a telnet interface. Unfortunately, the console does not provide a facility to configure the router,

Code:
Hello, Welcome to User CLI (version 0.95).
user> show version
Zebra 0.95 (mips-linux).
Copyright 1996-2004, Kunihiro Ishiguro.

user> en

user#
  configure   Configuration from vty interface
  disable     Turn off privileged mode command
  exit        Exit current mode and down to previous mode
  help        Description of the interactive help system
  list        Print command list
  logout      logout and byebye.
  nslookup    Query nameserver for the specified host
  ntp         Date and time in UTC that of the CPE when it sync with SNTP server.
  ping        Send echo messages
  shell       start shell, need to input the dynamic password
  show        Show information from vty interface
  tftp        Transfer syslog,omci,voice log to tftp server.
  traceroute  trace route about a host

user# con

user(config)#
  end      End current mode and down to previous mode
exit     Exit current mode and down to previous mode
  help     Description of the interactive help system
  list     Print command list
rsyslog  Configure rsyslog file size and beacon log level.
  syslog   Configure syslog file number and file size.
user(config)# list
  end
  exit
  help
  list
  rsyslog rgw_filesize <1-5> rgw_loglevel <0-7> beacon_filesize <1-5> beacon_loglevel <0-7> [remote_ip A.B.C.D] [persistent FLAG]
  syslog filenum <1-5> filesize <1-5> [persistent FLAG]
Hello Rajil, do you have any info on the 'Shell' option in the Telnet/SSH interface?
Can you tell about the 'dynamic password' it asks for?