• Thread starter Thread starter viralbug
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 8,560

viralbug

tR0ll bUg
ISP
MTNL Triband 1333 2mbps night 1mbps day
hi guys,im thinking of buying a Nokia 3230. i wanted to ask is there any other phone compared to 3230 with all the features around the same price range?

prathapml has it... he should know.

At the time I bought it, the Nokia 3230 was the best value for money.

Now its price has gone down a lot & other phones with more features have been launched at the high-end. So it really is a relative position that depends on which angle u look at it from. If you were to say, that at just 4k extra, you get double the features, then 3230 does not look so attractive.

But in absolute terms, all i can say is that the 3230 is very good, and I'm satisfied with it - I never felt any features missing in it. And I've been finding lot of use of it, so I'd know...

Talking of price-range, the 3230 is the ONLY one. No other model positioned at that price-range comes close to touching what the 3230 can provide you at such a good price!

tech specs - http://gsmarena.com/nokia_3230-923.php
review here - http://gsmarena.com/nokia_3230-review-33.php

well thats what i really meant. Nokia 3230 is presently the best phone in its price range. obviously there are better phones at a higher price, but i was just checking if there are any other phones with features like 3230 as i dont want to spend more. i dont think 3230 really looks bad, the best part i like is that it has a big sceen display. if i really wanted to spend more i would love to buy Sony ericsson w800i or w900i.by the way, whats the exact price of nokia 3230 now? a few months back it was around 13k, but im not sure what the price is now.

I've had friends telling my 3230 looks worse than their "beautiful" phones. I just reply saying functionality is more important for me, I dont care about looks.Last I checked on prices was 3 weeks ago & Nokia 3230 was selling at 12k in showroom. Grey market might give you a cheaper deal (Rs. 10k or so).

Nokia 6060 rocks at looks 😀 😛 😱 🙂 😕

Who cares for looks of phone??! 😛
Let me give you an example.

A certain someone has suddenly gotten a liking to su-do-ku & is crazed about it. And the Times-of-India newspaper offers a new puzzle every morning but its not frequent enough. So what do I do? I simply download a SymbianOS installer (*.sis) & install the game on my smartphone & give it to her to play.
TA-DA!!!!
She's happy! 😀

Similarly, I want to play *.WMV files (windows media video) on my phone, because its a small home-made movie made with Windows Movie Maker & I need to show it to my grandmother whom I'm visiting (its a village with no electricity, so no PC or laptops there). I simply install the codec on my phone & I start watching it!

And I sometimes need to look up Excel/Word/HTML files on the way to a client's office. No sweat, smartphone hai na.

I'm lying with my back on the floor & watching a DVD on the PC, and too lazy to get up & increase volume on speakers when those damned english idiots start whispering. I can simply control the volume (& winamp playlist) from my phone through bluetooth!

And sometimes, family members get mad about emails reading & seeing digital photos of their trips. I can give them the PC & get up & go to the kitchen/bedroom/wherever (radius of 50 metres). And for the next 3 hours, as they remember fond memories, I dont forego my emails - I can browse the Internet thru my phone itself (thru Bluetooth, my phone connects to my PC, which is in turn connected to the net on an unlimited scheme).

I can browse through 200 high-res photos of loved ones, whenever I feel like. Or listen to a slow, inspiring MP3 song to lift my mood. Best part is I can have my phone as a constant companion - write notes, to-do lists, record my thoughts as voice, & then look into those later when needed.

And for more functionality, simply install a new application! As simple as that!

The 6060 will NEVER be able to do all the above, coz its not an Operating-System phone, it simply runs on fixed firmware with no extensibility. The 6060 (and most other phones on the market right now) could possibly be labelled dumb phones. The 3230 is a smartphone! 😉

I do recognise that some people do prefer a simple phone for their needs, but then I look at that as an indication of the level of time they are willing to invest in their phones. Phones that run on an OS, are definitely more complex & demand maintenance (clean out files you dont want, etc). To me, the time & effort that my smartphone saves me, is well worth the few minutes I take care of it every week. The OS-phone is an intelligent computing device that lives out the true promise of palmtop computers.

And this article is a whole load of more points in favour of smartphones - https://broadband.forum/1740/laptop-murd...by-smartphones/

NOW do you understand the true meaning & functionality that a smartphone gives? 😛

when i need a phone to recieve and make calls. 6060 works for me. but ur phone might possibly get infected by one of the many symbian viruses around or maybe even crash by itself. i am talking about a phone here. and a phone is a phone.

Even on the most extreme day, I might make/receive calls for a max of 3 hours.The remaining 21 hours of a day, my phone is my faithful companion thru life in a huge variety of other ways. A phone by itself, is no use to me, I might as well stick to my old landline instead! 😕As for viruses, thats an exaggeration. In all of my 8 months that I've had my 3230, not once have I had to deal with a virus.

last three years on windows platform. not one instance of me getting hit by a virus. that does not make windows a secure platform for the masses. symbian is pretty unpopular for being slow and vulnerable to viruses and worms which are only going to become more popular.we already see mini apps preloaded on these phones to prevent cabir worm. what abt the new ones? just becoz u have survived, it does not mean any regular user of the phone would do so as well.

Well, you want me to use a plain firmware phone because OS will expose me to risks?Thats like saying, use the 8008 computer (first intel chip, no OS, all u cud do was flip-flop lights on it), because all OSes can expose me to risks.And regarding symbian being unpopular & exposed to viruses, may I inform you that its the same case with Windows? But simply because of its compatibility with software already existing out there, & its low-cost, it owns the market.No OS can ever be secure for a "masses person" who wants to behave like an ass.You managed to survive windows & get your work done.So did millions of others.I managed to survive symbian, and I can assure you I did not have to take any special efforts for it.So did millions of other ppl who use smartphones.So will viralbug.Now please, I'm tired of the opposition to OS phones, spare me. 🙁Let the original poster post something, about what he did buy finally.

wow! wht a war goin on guys!! n i hav 2 say gr8 fighting prathapml!! 😉 features r wht i want n 3230 gives it 2 me so thts all i want.well i havent yet bought it, cant just now, i think ill buy it a couple of weeks later.

I guess u cud go for 6260. Its a nice little flap phone. I've been usig it 4 a yr or so & w/o any probs.By d way tht 1.3 MP camera from Nokia is just fooling ppl. It only changes d size of ur img...but when u c d img qlty its still arnd 96 dpi. In my phone I get 640x480 resolution snaps with 96 dpi which can then b enlarged using any Photo editing s/w & thus achieve a size like a 1.3 MP camera phone.

Fine guys,i started a new topic in the mobile section but nobody cared to bother and answer. So now i have two options left. Either the Nokia 6600 which is a simple smart phone , has very good reviews and user ratings , the second option is nokia 3230 which is a good smart phone at this price , but i have heard both good and bad user reviews. Hanging up , crashing down and all ..... more over i m getting the phone from middle so warranty can be a prob. Please suggest