Nokia 225 REVIEW: Don't buy!

• Thread starter Thread starter Realme
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 8,143
This is my 2- day usage review of 'just- in-name' Nokia phones , I think my tone of writing will hint at the strong experiences I had, enough to write a review based on 2days usage

Why I bought this?
I just wanted to buy a future-proof phone for my dad which supports 4G sim (internet not needed)

What was the price of this phone?
INR 2900 + 18% Tax = INR 3500

SPECS: Mostly Irrelevant
It has MediaTek Processor
Headphone Jack + Two Sim slots + MicroSD slot + 1200 mAh battery

OS: S30+ OS features on similar range of mobiles like Nokia 215, 220, 220, 225 and 230.
( It's completely different from S30 used on Nokia feature phones in 2013-2014, all the Nokia(HMD Global, chinese ODM) phones launced after Dec 2016 has this disease of an OS

<---tHIs IS WhERE eVERYthINg STArTS fAlLiNG apARt--->

It's a barebone raw OS with absolutely unrefined user experiences, I am not using a hyperbole if I say your Nokia Phone from 2007 with Symbian OS is way ahead of this!

First reason to not to buy this: A complete departure from Nokia UX.

If you are buying it for your old relative, this phone is surely gonna make them amend their habbit of using <end call> btn to quickly navigate to homescreen, icing on the cake it will immediately lock your phone if you end call button rather than <- Back arrow to navigate back.

THIS IS DAMN ANNOYING!!!!!!! - Here I murdered English grammar to show you my anger. 😡

Minor Quibble : Unlike Old Radio apps on feature phones, which were simple, you used to either play them or mute them and listen to radio on background.

Well looks like UX designers needed to show their boss that they are doing something if not something:

Here they offer Mute, Unmute and Close. -- Muting doesn't close the radio app in the sense you can mute the radio and exit app and go on to your work.

You need to close the radio program which takes 2 clicks-- and if you just try to be lazy with mute it and go on to your work. No luck.

Your other phone apps might nor work as they require RAM and so you have to close the radio program to get some ram.

Syncing the Contacts:

Another bothersome activity if you have more than 100 contacts , you can't easily transfer your contacts from your previous nokia feature phone or and Android in a batch.

You have to click 'accept' for each hundred of .vcf files you receive. Such a troublesome task to transfer contacts.

Believe me! I lost the patience after making my thumbs sore to click 549 of them (1000 still left)

Sync to android device:
I tried to oversmart it but duh Contacts>Settings> Sync to android device always throws bluetooth connection error.

NOTIFICATIONS: Pain in ass!

You can't scroll through missed cal or messages notification using Up or Down button, you have to stick to their rigif UP button only.

YOU CAN'T CLOSE ALL NOTIFICATION through END CALL BUTTON, it will just lock the phone.
YOU HAVE TO VISIT EVERY NOTIFICATION ONE BY ONE TO REMOVE THEM

IT MAKES ME FEEL AS IF I'M IN LEVEL OF HELL USED TO TORTURE PEOPLE BY ANNOYING THE HELL OUT OF PEOPLE😡

CUSTOMISATION: Well your samsung guru and metro of 2008 era had more theme customization than this.

You don't have much things to play with in settings.

Even essential settings like disabling T9 Keyboard are well hidden, you won't find them in Setttings or Message Settings, they are hidden where you expect them least : 😡###########

Wait that wasn't curse words: It's a long press # to get the setting to disable T9

MENU Layout: No attention to menu layout has been paid. It very haphazrd with useless apps like facebook/boring gameloft trial games for INR 100 easily accesible whereas essential feature phones thingslike calculator torch and converter way below.

Menu is up scroll or down scroll(it's a long scroll with those useless things) , a better UI would be Side Scroll to next page with useful apps nicely laid out.

FINAL VERDICT:
THIS FEATURE PHONE WAS A NIGHTMARE OF USER EXPERIENCES, I'M CONSIDERING RETURNING IT

Last edited:
<Reserved for tutorial on how to properly sync the contacts>

Feel sorry for you mate... I guess there are really no phones which can be simple and future proof (4g).
Your last ditch option in case you want to buy would be ones from Jio. No experience whatsoever about UX(last heard they use Kai OS), also being stuck with Jio incase of bad network.

For the original jio phone, the UI is still the same. Notifications have a clear all button but the red (end call) button won't do it.
The menu is the same up/down scrollable. Rest I'll have to check as I stopped using it.

I have a Micromax Bharat as a spare feature phone . UI is a bit unorganised and not smooth . But 4G gives 15 mbps . Wifi gives 40 Mbps . Bought for 1500 . OP did not like Micromax , so I did not recommend it . Cellular radio has VoLTE . Works great with Airtel . I have dropped it 49 times . Still going good I suppose . Runs Android Kitkat.

Last edited:
I had same experience with Nokia 105. My mother's Samsung feature phone was having issues, so in hurry I bought Nokia 105 as it was having next day delivery.
But the phone is very very basic.
It has no support for Indian languages.
Full of useless games which are in trail mode.
First name in contact list if some Nokia games related which cannot be deleted or hidden. Not sure what would happen if by mistake somebody calls that number.
Alarm has no option to have vibrate only alert.
No option to transfer external data as it has no Bluetooth or USB.
Its now lying idle in drawer, and my son uses it for playing sometimes 😀

I also had Jio phone for my father, but its buttons were very hard to press, so my father stopped using it. Nokia/Samsung feature phones battery lasted 4-5 days, but Jio phone needed charging every alternate day, even with data OFF.

Reading Wiki on KaiOS I found this

With the release of the Nokia 8110 4G, an active community around both KaiOS and the phone arose and released the first version of a jailbreak. This gave users the ability to use old Firefox OS apps on KaiOS devices, as well as flashing their devices with community-created ROMs, such as GerdaOS.[39][40]

Sounds interesting