• Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 3,539

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
https://broadband.forum/nokia-207-nokia-208-nokia-208-dual-sim-feature-phones-announced-45324/
Networks: GSM 850/900/1800/1900 WCDMA 850 or 900/1900 or 2100*
Size/Weight: 114.2 x 50.9 x 12.8mm / 89.63g (Nokia 207); 90.59g (Nokia 208)
Display: 2.4” QVGA
Battery: 1020mAh
Camera: 1.3 MP (Nokia 208)
Connectivity: Bluetooth 3.0 with Slam sharing, micro USB, 3.5mm AV connector, AHJ headphone support, Easy Swap Dual SIM (Nokia 208 Dual SIM)
Memory: Up to 256 MB flash; SD card support up to 32GB
https://goo.gl/Hzw3c

Nokia is now making Micro-sim a standard sim for all its phones? Lumias had it, then 501 needs micro-sim and now these 2 phones alse need micro-sim.

From their point of view... These devices are being targeted as second phones for people carrying smartphones. So, supporting micro-sim sort of helps in switching between the two handsets.
Of course, micro-sim should have become the global standard by now. There is no logic behind phones launching with regular sim size.

I have 3 SIM cards, and I shuffle them between my Smartphone and other dual-sim phone. And since Lumia needed micro-sim, I went for Omnia W 🙁
Now if all future phones come with micro-sim, that would be good for people like me 🙂

Yup. Every phone manufacturer should switch to micro-SIMs and fix the problem for everyone.

Why not the next one directly - the nano sim.

nano sim from what i understand is not compatible with existing sims right?

Nana sim is plastic part completely removed from SIM card? 😀

Not sure... Remember watching videos of cutting to a nano-sim though.

ah right. they look to be compatible with each other. but makes it too easy to loose. :​

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subscriber_identity_module
Micro-SIM

The micro-SIM was created for backward compatibility. The major issue with backward compatibility was the contact area of the chip. Retaining the same contact area allows the micro-SIM to be compatible with the prior, larger SIM readers through the use of plastic cutout surrounds. The SIM was also designed to run at the same speed (5 MHz) as the prior version. The same size and positions of pins resulted in numerous "How-to" tutorials and YouTube video with detailed instructions how to cut a mini-SIM card to micro-SIM size with a sharp knife or scissors.
Nano-SIM

In early 2012, the nano-SIM or 4FF (4th form factor) was introduced, which measures 12.3 × 8.8 × 0.67 mm and reduces the previous format to the contact area while maintaining the existing contact arrangements. A small rim of isolating material is left around the contact area to avoid short circuits with the socket. The 0.7 mm thickness of the nano-SIM is about 15 percent less than its predecessor. 4FF can be put into adapters for use with devices taking 2FF or 3FF SIMs.Nano-SIM cards were used by iPhone 5.
Micro-SIM is pretty much used by all leading Smart Phones, but I still doubt if Nano-SIM is accepted standard by other OEM like Nokia/Samsung as Nano-SIM was proposed by Apple only.

I do not see any problems as long as it is not a patented design that would require royalty payments.

Once the market is fully covered with micro sim's, then nano sim will be launched by the manufacturer's to provide a variation in new mobile technology. 😛eaceful: