Netflix and Apple were ready to pay $300 million but Bond's budget itself is $250 m and add $100-150m for Advertising on top of that so obviously got rejected. Rumours are they would have sold even for $500m but streamers didn't go that far.

lol what advertising? if the movie has not even started publicity and all that. netflix/Apple would have done the ads. and might even have released it in theaters at a later stage. cut your losses and move on. better than sitting on this movie for a year or two. how much money did tenet made?

No time to die has already seen 2 big trailers. It was also one of the earliest movies to go on theatres right around the time pandemic started (April 2020) so they had already purchased lots of ads and done a lot of promotion before the lockdown hit.

Add to the fact that they will need to restart promotions if and when theatres can open and people start visiting, the cost would be a lot. They are also not sure of going the VOD route since they are apprehensive that people aren't spending that much online. Their only hope was that the streamers would pay a lumpsum amount covering their losses which is not happening.

MGM spokesperson confirmed this deal and added that movie will release in theatres now.

Mgm has already come close so many times to shutting down. Good luck to them.

Throwing Leonardo Dicaprio GIF

I think it is part of the deal that all bond movies would get regular theatrical release. I do not think existing bond movies have even arrived on Prime Video. Checked a bunch of Bond movies and none of them seem to be on any streaming service here in India. I am guessing eventually they would arrive.

Amazon won't have full control over the release of Bond movies. That was the part of their deal with MGM. MGM shared the franchise with an independent group or something. After the sale, Amazon's job is to only produce the movies I think. How they are released or when or where they are released, that decision is still with that group.

Its possible that Bond movies will never be exclusive to Amazon. That group can distribute it however they want to any number of streaming or VOD companies.