No signal in JioFi or mobile - could SIM be faulty?

• Thread starter Thread starter vishalrao
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 16,891

vishalrao

The Global Village Idiot
ISP
Tata Play 1 gbps, Microscan 500 mbps and PDPL 300 mbps.
So I had gotten a new Jio SIM a couple of weeks back which was working well until a couple of days ago when the JioFi device started showing red or blue signal icon.

The JioFi web UI either shows DETACHED or it shows weak Band 5 signal and there is not internet connectivity on my PC.

If I put the SIM in my mobile also there is no or weak signal - no internet connectivity at all.

Submitted a ticket and got a call from CC and they claimed there is no signal issue in my area - must be defective SIM card and to do to nearest Jio store to get it checked/fixed.

I guess I will have to do that but wondering if a SIM card can get faulty so soon and so suddenly?

i have had to get the airtel sim replaced 2 times since i moved to 4g lte. it just would not latch on to lte network.

You mean both times the replaced SIM would work properly for a while then after that it would stop working for you?

Damn, what a PITA... plus there's this "palkhi procession" going on now, so gotta wait til later this week to visit the Jio store.

3g and calls were working. but it was not connecting to lte. i thought it was a local issue so i ignored it for 2-3 days. but when it still did not start working, i went to airtel store. where they told me that my sim would need to be replaced. same problem after 15 days. that sim has not given me any issue since then. have been a few months.

If you getting weak signal sometimes then def an issue with Jio network. Their network still not stable.
Better take ur jiofi n mobile outdoor at diif place to check.

Well, I left it to "rest" for a day and when I checked it again just now it seems to be working fine again 😀

Either the Jio CC was telling lies or I was stressing the device/SIM too much with all the continuous speed tests and what not.

Not sure what's going - hope it really isn't a faulty SIM - would have to get off my lazy ass to travel to the nearest Jio store for that.

Vishal, the SIM card actually has no role to play in the signal strength, that job is done by the modem/radio in your device. All the SIM does is work like an ID, it has your phone number, account number etc, allowing you to authenticate on the provider's network. If the SIM was indeed bad, then your device would show an error like "No SIM detected"

So why do mobile operators require you to 'upgrade' to 4G SIM from an old SIM? SIM of course has nothing to do with signal quality. But it certainly store more than just your authentication information.

Well, I left it to "rest" for a day and when I checked it again just now it seems to be working fine again 😀

Either the Jio CC was telling lies or I was stressing the device/SIM too much with all the continuous speed tests and what not.

Not sure what's going - hope it really isn't a faulty SIM - would have to get off my lazy ass to travel to the nearest Jio store for that.
Doesn't matter if you run the modem 24/7, it should handle continous upload/download. It may get hot but it should support it no problem

So why do mobile operators require you to 'upgrade' to 4G SIM from an old SIM? SIM of course has nothing to do with signal quality. But it certainly store more than just your authentication information.

That is because the old SIM card will have authentication information and Mobile Network Codes for older 2G or 3G networks only. If you need to get onto a 4G network, you need a SIM that has the authentication and Mobile Network Codes pertaining to the 4G network as well stored on it.

There is also the difference between the old school SIM design and the newer 4G micro/nano SIMs, but that is more a physical difference. Newer phones can't take the old design SIM, hence a change is required.

Last edited:
Reactions: SVK
Doesn't matter if you run the modem 24/7, it should handle continous upload/download. It may get hot but it should support it no problem

That is what we expect but I've got a couple of old Airtel dongles which went kaput coz I used to leave it on 24x7. My current Airtel CPE device is mostly stable but that one also an earlier one got faulty.

But yeah, I highly suspect Jio CC was telling fibs that their network is OK... I wish I had the time/chance to test in another location at that time and then tell the CC straight to their face that they are telling lies 😀 Maybe will do it if it happens again later on.