No PPPoE signal: Modem LED

sitardivine

I am a new subscriber to DataOne 256 kbps. I find the throughput speed quite fluctuating. I also don't ever see the PPPoE indicator of the BSNL-supplied UT Starcom UT-300R2 ever glow. I installed the PPPoE software on my old WIN-XP [without any service packs installed] as advised by the ISP.I am eager to know if I should configure PPPoE on the net [if yes, how?] for better connectivity.Looking forward,:: Sanjoy Bandopadhyay

I hope u are from kolkata, my HomeTown.I have also taken up the service ths month and using my own adsl modem. I agree with you on the speed front, which is really unsteady and fluctuating. According to BSNL, when the modem is connected, all 3 lights would be on except the data ind. which should be flickering.Also, don't take the chance of virus attack, install winxp sp1 and ms patch kb835732 or you are gone with sasser worm playing on your pc !According to my opinion, don't use the winxp created dialler as mentioned by isp(BSNL). They know nothing great about ADSL ! (I mean it!!)Enter the management interface 192.168.1.1 and enter id,pass and use the router capability and then should never need to dial and it stays always on.Where do you stay ? I might help you in a better way if I know your location! 😉

What do u mean by the PPPoE indicator? There are 4 LEDs in the UTStar Modem. The Power, Link and PC indicators should glow steadily. The Data LED glows occasionally. I too installed the PPPoE software provided by BSNL. I have Win XP SP2 installed and faced no problem at all. I also tried the Win XP created dialler and it worked as good as the software dialler.

Originally posted by Hulo@Apr 18 2005, 01:06 PM
What do u mean by the PPPoE indicator? There are 4 LEDs in the UTStar Modem. The Power, Link and PC indicators should glow steadily. The Data LED glows occasionally. I too installed the PPPoE software provided by BSNL. I have Win XP SP2 installed and faced no problem at all. I also tried the Win XP created dialler and it worked as good as the software dialler.
[snapback]8157[/snapback]
[/quote]

If you have the same modem then you can see PPPoE is written over the third indicator from left. The indicator names are: Power/Wan/PPPoE/LAN.:: sb

Originally posted by sitardivine@Apr 18 2005, 05:58 PM
If you have the same modem then you can see PPPoE is written over the third indicator from left. The indicator names are: Power/Wan/PPPoE/LAN.:: sb
[snapback]8169[/snapback]
[/quote]

OK..so they r now giving UT-300R2 modems. My modem is UT-300R, probably an older version. It has 4 LEDs - power, link, PC and Data.