No More 2G Smartphones from Samsung Micromax Intex

SVK

twitter.com/svknet
ISP
Jio Fiber, Airtel 5G
Samsung, Micromax planning to discontinue 2G phones - Times of India

Samsung and Micromax, the leading sellers of smartphones in India, are planning to discontinue so-called 2G phones and focus on devices that run on faster 3G and 4G networks as prices have dropped sharply for such handsets in the past year.
Senior executives of three leading retail chains said on condition of anonymity that both companies have told them and other trade partners that no more new 2G smartphone models will be launched. Prices of 3G and 4G smartphones, which also support 2G, may drop further to fill the price vacuum created by the exit of 2G.
Both companies are currently liquidating 2G phone stocks
Intex Technologies may also exit 2G smartphones after the first quarter of the next fiscal, said Sanjay Kumar Kalirona, mobile business head. It has three 2G models selling about 1.5 lakh units per month.

Why were they even producing "2G only" Smartphones till 2015. They should have stopped it 2-3 years ago.

Does this include featurephones? 😀

When I read article first time, I got impression that 2G phones meant feature phones. But I guess and hope it means 2G based Smartphones only.
Feature phones are needes as old people who can't oprate touch screen phones prefer feature phones with 0-9 keypad and green/red call buttons. Also big companies like Samsung (and Nokia by MS) still launching feature phoned (even 1 model per year) is good thing. Others like Sony/Motorola has stopped feature phones long ago. If Samsung/Nokia stops producing feature phones, options remain is Karbonn, iBall etc Indian companies...

Yup. I would still prefer to buy Nokia/Microsoft feature phones rather than a local Indian company. So it's nice to see that Microsoft continues to legacy even though these devices might be the last of its kind. Even if they keep the stock available for years to come, it would be nice. I mean it's insane that you can actually buy a crap smartphone for around the same money as a decent featurephone...

May be we should keep stock of 2-3 Nokia 230 for any emergency situation in future (or doomsday like Warthog says 😀)

hmmm.. I was actually planning to buy Nokia 230.. creepy... Anyways i can use all andriod apps via bluestack emulator without wifi,gps.

F**** big brother!!

creepy that you mentioned 230. I was looking for Nokia x3-00 as it has more color fill rate than 230. The only reason i want to get 230 is due to whatsapp. It seems you cannot get office work done these days without whatsapp. Safe bet is 515 but it is expensive. If 230 supported 3g than it would have been a steal!